Alarms / Locks / Motorcycle / cheap and others / Do you lock your bike? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By Jack of Heats JoH
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 1 Post By BLACK DOG
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-14-2017, 10:37 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Alarms / Locks / Motorcycle / cheap and others / Do you lock your bike?

Do you use a lock? Disk? Padlock and chain? If so what do you use? I have a very old cylinder lock style Kryptonite lock that I no longer trust is good enough. What say you on this subject?

COG# 5539
IBA# 15034
Team Oregon MC Instructor
"2linby" Get it? "Tooling by"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Everything is simple, nothing is easy".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-15-2017, 01:24 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
i use the lock that came built into the bike and a $20 alarm system

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-15-2017, 07:58 AM

When on an overnight road trip I lock my bike with 1) steering lock 2) front brake rotor lock* 3) in expensive motion detection alarm <$10

* Be sure to use the curly cord and hook it on the handle bar this remind you the lock is on the rotor. A friend recently forgot about the lock and started to move the bike damaged the rotor cracked plastic parts etc.. I don’t like these locks as they came damage expensive parts if forgotten but I think a battery powered angle grinder with cutting blade will cut through any bar, chain or padlock in under 30 seconds.

I think the best investment is an alarm even a cheap one. Mine was like $6 came with remote to turn it on and off. If I needed to lock my bike frequently. I would get a proper alarm but this cheap alarm works surprisingly well for the few times I do an overnight ride or stop where theft is a concern.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-...lV7-Gy&vxp=mtr
onewizard likes this.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-15-2017, 08:31 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Started new How To thread

Renamed this thread to catch the attention of members and included original title .
I started a new alarm / lock thread as , from time to time this subject has come up and even I have had situations were it would have been more convenient to start my trip immediately with the bike , rather than taking the car to the shopping mall first for a small errand.

So once we have enough comments I will copy the appropriate posts. FYI this thread is also stuck.

Last edited by onewizard; 12-15-2017 at 08:43 AM.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-15-2017, 11:10 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
I use a rotor-lock that came in a small "sac", so when I install the lock, I put my KEYS into the sac, and that way I'm reminded to REMOVE the lock when I pull out my keys. Years ago I forgot to remove a lock on my Bandit, and went about 12" before coming to an ABRUPT halt, then landed on the left-side.

Might've said a "bad-word" or two....

Jack of Heats JoH likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-15-2017, 02:35 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I use two combination locks with matching combinations-one front and one rear. Then I use Fast Eddie Remembering System #1(he started this method for his bargain kick stand block reminder). Thick string is attached to the shackle (is that the right word?) of each lock and with a big loop on the other end. The loops go around the grip of the clutch hand grip. Before I started using the string method I did forget one time and hit the lock very gently and did no damage. Also, I had not picked up either foot, so caught the bike upright. JofH, I would like to know where to get a cheapo alarm like you have???

Forty years away from 2 wheel fun. Sure is great to be back smelling the roses!!!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-15-2017, 03:02 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Click on the link in post #3
onewizard likes this.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-16-2017, 08:39 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Links Provided

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack of Heats JoH View Post
When on an overnight road trip I lock my bike with 1) steering lock 2) front brake rotor lock* 3) in expensive motion detection alarm <$10

* Be sure to use the curly cord and hook it on the handle bar this remind you the lock is on the rotor. A friend recently forgot about the lock and started to move the bike damaged the rotor cracked plastic parts etc.. I don’t like these locks as they came damage expensive parts if forgotten but I think a battery powered angle grinder with cutting blade will cut through any bar, chain or padlock in under 30 seconds.

I think the best investment is an alarm even a cheap one. Mine was like $6 came with remote to turn it on and off. If I needed to lock my bike frequently. I would get a proper alarm but this cheap alarm works surprisingly well for the few times I do an overnight ride or stop where theft is a concern.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-...lV7-Gy&vxp=mtr

FYI this is what a link looks like, click on it and magic stuff happens
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 07:36 PM

My friend parked his Harley Sportster at Walmart last week and when he came out the bike was gone. He called 911 and the police showed up and actually found the motorcycle on the side of the main road in front of the store, apparently waiting to be picked up by an accomplice with a truck. He has a steering wheel lock on the bike but hadn't used it. I make sure to lock my steering wheel at the very least. On my last bike I had an alarm installed with a tilt sensor.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 03:12 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricanebob View Post
...I make sure to lock my steering wheel at the very least....
Years ago I read in one of the cycle mags that, IF your parked bike falls over, it sustains way LESS damage IF the steering is locked, so I ALWAYS lock the steering EXCEPT in my garage, and secure my helmet w/ a cable "ski-lock" thru the chin-bar and around a passenger hand-hold.

IF I'll be away more than a few minutes, I also attach a disc-lock to the right-front disc, then put my keys into the sac I had made to hold both those locks, and into a pocket - that way I ALWAYS remember to remove the disc-lock.
quexpress likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 07:55 AM

This is something that worries me a lot.

I usually use a disk lock with alarm In the back rotor. If I forgot it when I go on the bike it starts ringing. I have another one withought alarm for the front rotor that is way more beefier and looks strong (see photo).

But Last week I ordered a loop chain só I can secure the bike to an uncutacle object and to the frame If I parked it outside for a long period. It is 1.5m with 14mm links.

Enviado do meu G3221 através do Tapatalk
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 12:21 PM

Garage
I'm using a Kryptonite disc lock on the front rotor. Also, I have a Tile sport secretly attached to my bike. This marketing article is dated, but I think this points to how this relatively cheap device might help you find your stolen bike if you're in a dense, urban area: https://www.thetileapp.com/en-us/blo...ycle-with-tile
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode