7Likes
  • 1 Post By Urbanengineer
  • 1 Post By Jack of Heats JoH
  • 4 Post By BLACK DOG
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-07-2017, 04:04 PM Thread Starter

Boot rub mark removal

I have noticed some light scratch rub marks from my boots. I would like to clean this up before it get any worse and am looking for suggestions. My guess is that the parts are clear coated and I have just rubbed through the clear coat. The white spot in the photo is from the camera flash. My boot had a little aluminum color spot where it was rubbing so my guess is that I just rubbed through the clear coat.

To clean up I am thinking of rubbing compound to reduce surface scratching then an application of matt clear coat followed by a generous application of wax after the clear coat has fully hardened. Not sure is this is the best approach.

Any suggestions to help prevent scratches in the future would also be welcome.

JoH
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scuf marks.jpg (42.5 KB, 79 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-08-2017, 07:47 AM

Garage
I used a sheet of carbon fibre printed vinyl decal to cover both rear sets. The decal wears and gets marked up but is good for a couple seasons. It keeps the metal from marking up. Though, that's when the bike was new. Now I just see the marks as a badge of honour.

I still have the vinyl and I'll send you some if you want to try it. PM me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5588 crop.jpg (20.6 KB, 45 views)

Always trust your cape.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-08-2017, 03:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATYC View Post
I used a sheet of carbon fibre printed vinyl decal to cover both rear sets. The decal wears and gets marked up but is good for a couple seasons. It keeps the metal from marking up. Though, that's when the bike was new. Now I just see the marks as a badge of honour.

I still have the vinyl and I'll send you some if you want to try it. PM me.
Thanks for the offer, but I think I will try some clear 3M 8 mil automotive paint protector. Will take a while for me to wear through that.

Still looking for comment on best way to clean up marks.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-08-2017, 03:59 PM

You can't clean it off, you are wearing away the rearset paint. It shows you actually know how to ride and move your feet around a bit on the pegs. Well done!
BLACK DOG likes this.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-09-2017, 08:31 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanengineer View Post
You can't clean it off, you are wearing away the rearset paint. It shows you actually know how to ride and move your feet around a bit on the pegs. Well done!
I wear size 13 boots and ride with the ball of my feet on the pegs most of the time so my big flippers are bound to rub on something as I need to reposition my feet for shifting etc.
Urbanengineer likes this.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-09-2017, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanengineer View Post
My older brother used to hassle me about the appearance of my bike until another rider we knew asked him if my road dirt was any worse than his garage dust. I'll take the dirt and scuffs of riding.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-10-2017, 02:04 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack of Heats JoH View Post
I wear size 13 boots and ride with the ball of my feet on the pegs most of the time so my big flippers are bound to rub on something as I need to reposition my feet for shifting etc.
My boots are size 10. Riding on the balls of my feet - there's ALMOST NO paint (OR the "carbon-fiber" stick-on I had put on) - left on either side of my '08 (at 75K miles).
Urbanengineer likes this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode