Battery/Alternator - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 10:37 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Battery/Alternator

New to the forum ....maybe this question has been answered before but here goes. Does a 2012 650 have enough electrical output to power heated grips, Gerbing electric jacket with gloves & heated socks at the same time ? I canít seem to find what the alternator puts out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-06-2017, 09:26 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Stator Output / Base Load/ Series verses Shunt Regulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booger Man View Post
New to the forum ....maybe this question has been answered before but here goes. Does a 2012 650 have enough electrical output to power heated grips, Gerbing electric jacket with gloves & heated socks at the same time ? I canít seem to find what the alternator puts out.
More than enough power, however you could make a huge improvement by switching to a series regulator.
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...gs-2015-a.html

Shunt Regulator
So a shunt regulator rectifies the 3 phase AC and converts it to DC, very simply done using 6 diodes, 3 positive 3 negative, from the active part of a shunt regulator, it doesn't do anything and what I mean by that, the MK-1 and MK-2 regulators had a brown key switch wire, it sole purpose was to control the shunting part of the regulator, when some had key switch problems, the symptoms were blown headlight bulbs, varying brightness of the headlight at higher RPMs etc. What happens is the brown wire provided a reference / power source and at roughly 14.5 to 15.1 VDC it would short to ground the excess VDC, typically I have seen 14.9 VDC before shunting occurred. So I am going to say around 4000 RPM the stator is able to produce full power of 336 Watts, this is actually what it is doing, that is the stator is running at 100% load all the time during which it can produce 100%.

Series Regulator

The series regulator is electronically active immediately upon starting the motor, it starts to switch off as we go above 14.2 VDC, the higher the RPM and the lower the demand for power, the faster it switches off, in other words it's off cycle becomes longer than the on cycle, it is far more precise as to VDC, my Compu Fire regulator is Rock solid at 14.200 VDC even at 10,000 RPM. I won't go any further here in explaining, as I have extensive details in my posts in the How To Forum under Series verses shunt etc.

First thing is in that link I describe base load, add to that any accessories you have such as Gerbing jacket etc. , that is your total load or total watts, that is what your stator sees all the time it is able to produce it. I have changed a few things from my first post, I added Denali D2 LED lights and I removed about 40 watts by converting my low beam headlight to LED, ( I don't like the one I have and will eventually chuck it, for now it doesn't matter as the Denali have improved what I need)
So if I had my Gerbing jacket set at 10, and my Oxford Heated Grips at 100%= about 130 Watts total ( my base load including the Denali on high beam is now approx. 142 Watts) , so with the heated gear at maximum , total load = 272 watts on my bike. FYI it would need to be about minus 5 'F to be running at maximum for any length of time, if you were properly dressed, the only thing I could see running at max would be the Oxford Grips, FYI you should have Bark Busters or some other wind protection for the grips. I have the Givi Muffs, but it is a challenge to get comfortable having your hands hidden from view and the feeling of claustrophobia.

Summary So to sum it up, base load using all original bulbs /headlight bulbs etc. is about 172 Watts, so out of a 336 available stator output you are left with 162 watts , keep in mind when you are idling, you will be going below the 14.2 VDC of a series or the 14.5 of a shunt, possibly as low as 13.0 VDC at idle

Many advantages to going to a series regulator, and I have 3 methods of conversion posted in the How To forum. I hope this helps
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-06-2017, 09:51 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks onewizard. I will check out the thread you have listed. Barkbusters on my list to add along with a bunch of other items
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode