• 1 Post By twowheeladdict
  • 1 Post By mentolio
  • 1 Post By Fly-Sig

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-04-2017, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Unhappy Came home to a broken triple tree

I'm guessing this was a case of stealing a bike that went wrong.

They tried breaking the steering lock, but instead they messed up the triple tree, so they left the bike there. That's my guess as the bike does not have a scratch or any sign that it was knocked over. This was while parked on a residential street in NYC.

Anyone ever seen a triple tree have this happen?
Otherwise ignition works and bike turns (I was able to move to other side of the street without issues)

Pic of sadness:

Any wild guess on how much should I pay to get this fixed? (Steering lock hole appears to be in good shape)

Also, share your horror stories!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Triple tree!.jpg (15.1 KB, 40 views)

'17 Versys 650 ABS - mods/adds:
- Heated grips
- RD Moto crash bars
- H&B center stand
- Dash: 2-port USB charger and 12V socket

Last edited by versysleo; 12-04-2017 at 04:44 PM. Reason: typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-04-2017, 05:05 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Part# 44039....https://www.cheapcycleparts.com/oemp...9c8/front-fork

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-04-2017, 05:50 PM

Replacing the top triple tree should not be too difficult. I am guessing about an hour labor.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-04-2017, 05:54 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Yeah, just a month ago I helped a friend replace the bearing below the triple tree on his Honda CB500X, this shouldn't be too difficult. However, I'm gonna go with the dealership service in this case... As much as I hate giving my bike to a shop for them to do the work... (I'm traveling this week and don't have parking - park on the street, and have comprehensive insurance that should cover this and whatever else the dealership wants to add on top of this thing).

Had I been local the next 2 weeks I'd do it myself.

- Heated grips
- RD Moto crash bars
- H&B center stand
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-04-2017, 06:07 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Question:

Would this qualify for a warranty replacement? There's no other indication that the bike was tampered with, nothing is bent and the bike works as expected aside from this (I've only ridden it across the street).

I mean, how come this piece breaks in this way and the rest of the bike is fine?

- Heated grips
- RD Moto crash bars
- H&B center stand
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-04-2017, 06:20 PM

I doubt that Kawasaki would warranty this. You should be glad that the thieves did not break a lot of other stuff while they were trying to steal your bike. You should also be glad that they did not succeed!
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-04-2017, 06:25 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Wow that scared me. I saw the pic and assumed it happened while riding. Guess I should read the caption before jumping to a conclusion.

That's a real bummer. Damn thieves. Someone should cut their nuts off so they can't reproduce.
quexpress likes this.

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-04-2017, 09:47 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Streak View Post
I doubt that Kawasaki would warranty this. You should be glad that the thieves did not break a lot of other stuff while they were trying to steal your bike. You should also be glad that they did not succeed!
Haha absolutely! It was more of a tounge-in-cheek comment about how/why that piece broke like it... I guess it was a strength match between the triple tree and the steering lock

- Heated grips
- RD Moto crash bars
- H&B center stand
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by versysleo View Post
Haha absolutely! It was more of a tounge-in-cheek comment about how/why that piece broke like it... I guess it was a strength match between the triple tree and the steering lock
Perhaps a good design by Kawi. You lost the triple tree but kept the bike!

Lotís of youtube videos showing guys breaking the steering lock and rolling the bike away in like 10-15 seconds.
onewizard likes this.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-09-2017, 12:26 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Assuming it was an attempted theft, file an insurance claim (you have comprehensive right?), expect the bike to be totalled. Given the force they probably applied trying to break the steering lock the fork tubes are likely bent and the steering head is also likely destroyed along with the front part of the bike's frame.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-09-2017, 03:59 AM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to NightRider
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack of Heats JoH View Post
Perhaps a good design by Kawi. You lost the triple tree but kept the bike!

Lotís of youtube videos showing guys breaking the steering lock and rolling the bike away in like 10-15 seconds.
I was thinking the same thing. Make the steering lock out of bolt cutter steel and let the thieving scum break the clamp instead.
Lose the clamp, keep the bike. The only way thieves can't ride the bike away is if it's broken... literally.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-09-2017, 05:28 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Now we know why people without garages pay more for insurance.
weljo2001 likes this.

My Versys Travels:

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-09-2017, 06:44 AM

Garage
You sure someone didn't hit your bike? That looks like impact shock damage to me. Assuming one or two really strong individuals applied near super-human strength trying to break the lock, I think it more likely that the bolts that hold the lock cylinder in would shear-off, or at the least damage the boss on the frame that the lock cylinder steering lock pin fits in. Please check those forks and rim! Best of luck, I hope you get this situation resolved.
Rebel13 likes this.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-09-2017, 10:04 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I agree it looks more like linear impact damage than rotational thief induced damage. The tearing of the metal is all in one direction there. It has two lines which meet just below and to the right of the lock cylinder. Note how all the little arrow shaped tear-outs point up. That tells you where the fracture began. The one fracture started at the upper right corner, then split into two separate fractures.

I think someone hit your bike hard enough to break it. If it was thieves trying to twist the bars they wouldn't have broken it that way, imho.
onewizard likes this.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-09-2017, 12:19 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
ive seen one snapped like that from some one stealing the bike id recommend getting a cheap alarm like what i have ($20ish). its payed for itsself a few times over in what i save on insurance alone, and has prevented attempted theft a couple times when i lived in portland

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-09-2017, 10:22 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
There has to be some visible evidence somewhere, which would confirm how it was broken.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-10-2017, 10:26 AM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to NightRider
Well he said the bike didn't have a scratch on it to indicate it was knocked over, so for now the-theft-gone-wrong is the only thing that seems plausible.
I mean, anything is possible. It could've even been a defective clamp that only gave way after someone applied hard pressure to it, who knows...
Car impact would most likely knock the bike over and leave at least some scuffs and scratches (on turn signals, trust me I know ).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode