90 degree valve stems and balancing beads - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By BLACK DOG

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-02-2017, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
90 degree valve stems and balancing beads

I have been using balancing beads for several years and found them to be great, smooth ride over the life of the tire. It is a little tricky getting them in the tire with strait valve stems.

Has anyone here used balancing beads with 90 degree stems? Was it hard to get them installed through the 90 degree valve stem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-02-2017, 07:18 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I've usually tried to remember to put them in before I seat the tire on the beads.
turn8a likes this.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-02-2017, 07:20 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I've used balancing beads for years on my Valkyrie rims (with 90-degree valve stems).
I will be swapping to 90-degree stems on my Versys this winter. It already has balancing beads.

It's not any more difficult to install balancing beads through 90-degree valve stems ... just a bit slower.

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-02-2017, 10:21 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
The easiest way I have found is to put a crease in a sheet of paper and use the crease as a trough/guide to let beads roll into into tire before you flip last bead over rim sealing it. It's a lot easier this way than putting them in through the valve stem.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-03-2017, 02:40 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
I have 90 deg valves and the beads didn't go in... even one by one!... they kept getting stuck at the elbow... waste of time trying. even tried i on my straight stem wire wheels and still one by one!... too slow.

It is easier to seat the tire beads 1st, then break the tire bead on one side, pour the balancing beads in then seal the tire bead again - that way i was preventing a balancing bead rolling up and over and getting caught on the bottom tire bead.

I have tried putting the beads into the tire before i lever the top tire bead onto the rim, but you end up jiggling the beads around and they can get caught between the rim and tire and a few escape. I stand the tire up so the beads roll into the carcase then rotate the tire while making sure the tire bead is clear of balancing beads, then i air up to seat the tire bead... too much checking.

I prefer to my 1st method.

Last edited by Gigitt; 12-03-2017 at 02:42 AM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-03-2017, 07:25 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-03-2017, 07:55 AM Thread Starter

I use compressed air to get the beads in (strait valve stems) as per youtube video. This works pretty well but the process is slow.

The same beads are used for balancing truck tires. The recommended installation for trucks is just throw the sealed bag in the tire before setting the bead.

Think I will see if I can get some small 1 mil zip lock bags and try just tossing the bag in before I set the bead. 1 mil bags are very flimsy so the bag will likely break open during the first few rotations of the tire (at least thats the idea).

Will be a while before I replace tires, but if this works Or not, I will post back in the future.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-03-2017, 01:50 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack of Heats JoH View Post
I have been using balancing beads for several years and found them to be great, smooth ride over the life of the tire. It is a little tricky getting them in the tire with strait valve stems.

Has anyone here used balancing beads with 90 degree stems? Was it hard to get them installed through the 90 degree valve stem?
I put mine in while the wheel is still OFF the bike, using a small funnel, w/ a piece of clear fuel-line attached (that fits OVER the end of the valve stem), and my air-compressor hose nearby w/ an air-gun attached. WHEN the beads 'block-up', I just give a shot of air into the funnel which breaks the 'bridge' and IN they go. I might do that 4 or 5 times per tire.

I've been using the beads for OVER 145,000 miles already.

-

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-10-2017, 11:05 AM

Garage
Pump them in using the squeeze bottle

I've always had straight valve stems and found that it is still a tedious operation to get them in. The easiest technique that has worked for me is to simply 'pump' the squeeze bottle until they all flow in. I wouldn't fill the bottle more then half full because you need some air space to allow for the pumping and sucking action.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode