The Wave.... - Kawasaki Versys Forum
View Poll Results: Do you participate in "The Wave"?
Yes 66 76.74%
No 2 2.33%
Ony if someone else initiates "The Wave" 12 13.95%
Sometimes (But not to Boozer Cruisers) 6 6.98%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 07:16 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Post The Wave....

So being a somewhat new rider I'm a bit puzzled by "The Wave".

"The Wave" being that thing some people do when they see another rider on a motorcycle. You know.. where you wave at another person because you share something in common... two wheels and a motor.

What partially puzzles me is why it's done. I don't wave at other people driving Honda Civics (my four wheel transportation). I don't wave at people that shop at the same grocery store as me. I don't wave at people that are right handed. Not to mention using one hand to wave while operating a motor vehicle that should be operated with two hands seems somewhat unsafe.

I understand though that there is some camaraderie with other riders because we are all putting are lives on the line as we go out and battle to be seen by "cagers".

Now some things I have noticed:

- Harley riders tend to only wave at other Harley riders (not all, but most), and I'm okay with this.

- Anyone driving a 50cc Moped (we call them Boozer Cruisers round here) should NOT be waved at, and at all possible look the other direction.

- Most riders that participate in "The Wave" do so by extending their left hand at a downward angle. This confused me until I participated one time by raising my hand at an upward angle and nearly got my arm ripped off by the wind.

So that leads me to my poll. Do you participate in "The Wave"? Do you shun it?

I personally hardly ever initiate "The Wave". I will respond to someone else waving at me though (unless they are on a Boozer Cruiser of course). The few times I have initiated "The Wave" has been to other "Adventure" type riders and Dual-Sports. None of them returned the wave.

On to the poll!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

May the road always curve in front of you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 07:33 AM

I do the "The wave" to anyone on a motorcycle, including scooters, unless It's dangerous to do so, heavy traffic, mid-corner, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

Current rides:
2011 Versys
1995 CR 250 (Sold)
2005 Honda Recon(Sold)
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 07:37 AM

Newby's, guess you don't know the 5-0 flash or signal either?

Lean/Two

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 07:51 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I wave if safe to do so to all bikes & scooters too. A lot of times i get a glimpse of someone waving at me but i'm too focused on the idiots around me "LA Traffic" to wave back.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 08:08 AM

I wave and generally murmur "Hey man" in my helmet unless I'm busy and conditions don't permit. No biggie if they don't wave back....most do. It means a little more when it's to one of the few all year riders when it's really cold or really hot. See a yellow goldwing guy almost every morning and he and I wave like long lost friends though we've never met.

When I accidently wave to a scooter that looks like a goldwing or sportbike they generally don't wave as they're seemingly 'out on their own'.

I also helmet tap to give someone a head's up if there's radar/laser set-up and they're headed toward it.

Ride To Live, Live To Ride....no, really!
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 08:21 AM
rlj

I generally initiate the wave to other motorcyclist except Harley and Gold Wing riders, providing conditions are appropriate and I see them.

From my experience about 5% of Harley guys wave or initiate the wave, I assume they have other bikes and enjoy the ride on a Harley from time to time. 0% of Gold Wing riders wave, so I don't even bother anymore.

I have a Jeep Wrangler and I do the Jeep wave as well.........sometimes when I'm in my Grand Cherokee I forget and wave at other Wranglers.
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 09:50 AM

I wave at all bikes as long as it is safe. Most riders wave back out here. Even the guys on Harleys that really should keep both hands on the bars.

The best ones are the scooters. Not sure how many almost accidents I have caused by waving at a scooter. It really locks them up when they have no idea what to do.
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 10:09 AM

Yes here as well (except when I need the clutch of course). I don't wave to scooters though unless I mistake them for a bike early on.
I've never experienced any glaring issues with Harley riders and don't know if I've really passed any Gold Wings.
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 11:10 AM

Always willing to wave. I will wave to scooters, I put over 7500 miles on mine. Ride one for a while, it will change the way you look at other drivers.
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 11:19 AM

You guys who ride on the right side of the road have it a little easier. With the throttle being on the right, you can wave, salute, put two fingers up or whatever with your left hand in view of the oncoming bike(s). Riding on the left side of the road genearally means a 'nod' is the way of acknowledging a fellow motorbicyclist..! I noticed this in France, Belgium and a Germany this year when I drove to the Nurburgring. But over here (in my experience at least) there's no point in giving the 'nod' to a Harley rider if you're on a Jap or Euro machine - they won't acknowledge you...! They're obviously on a higher plain than the rest of us...!
post #11 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuck923 View Post
I do the "The wave" to anyone on a motorcycle, including scooters, unless It's dangerous to do so, heavy traffic, mid-corner, etc.
+1 I also typically wave to farmers, old folks on porches, cops on bikes or horseback or on foot, people out in their yards when I'm riding through their neighborhood, and most importantly KIDS. I sometimes toot the horn at kids, too. If a kid walks up to me when I'm parked with my bike, I always find a little time to say hello and wave to the parents to put them at ease. Never hurts to give people a reason to associate motorcycles with friendly people. Amish farmers are reliable wavers, so are guys riding on really cold days.

As far as the rationale behind the wave, I find people in some other vehicle types wave to each other: Miatas, Jeeps (CJ/Wrangler especially), antique cars in general (and people driving the same make or model in particular), etc. 30 years ago I had a buddy who drove an MG who waved at everyone else in an MG...they all waved back.

Here's an unscientific observation based on nearly three decades of riding motorcycles (and waving to my fellow riders): people wearing helmets, whether in states that require them or not, are much more likely to wave back than those without helmets. This is reliably the case with Harley riders. In Massachusetts, for example, (helmet law) I find Harley riders wave more often than not. Cross down into Connecticut or up into New Hampshire, however, (no helmet laws) and Harley wave rates plummet. Maybe they're feeling too badass to be friendly? Among Harley riders who do wave, I especially like the ones who "wave" by pointing one finger towards the ground. ("Yup, there's the road, I see it, too.")

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #12 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 05:13 PM

I'm a waver... Sometimes I initiate the wave... sometimes I return the wave.
Just this afternoon I waved at a fat dude on a Razor electric scooter doing like 3mph on the paved shoulder headed my way...
He didn't wave back.
Must have had a sticker that says "My other bike is a Harley"

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
post #13 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 07:29 PM

Wave, you never know when a fellow rider will be the one that saves your butt in an accident or if you get stranded.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Motorcycle.com Free App
post #14 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 08:46 PM

almost always do the wave or initiate it, but yeah, I've definetly noticed most harley riders only wave at other harley's.

'09 Candy Plasma Blue Versys 650 (the fastest color)
Givi DS 450 Windshield
SW motech engine guards
HT Teton Panniers
Acerbis handguards
Avon Distanzia tires
Garmin Zumo 665
dual power usb/12v plug
Givi trunk on custom mount

post #15 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 09:09 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
I prefer to lift my martini in a toast to passing riders (with my left hand as my right is on the throttle -safety first).
post #16 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 09:10 PM

When I see another V, I would wave or flash my head lamps and would certainly get a respond, if traffic conditions allow. Other big bikes, it depends on the mood and traffic condition. Most would wave back unless they are focusing in a tight traffic condition, like having to clutch up. Sometimes I can't wave with my left so I would nod my head. It works too.

Present Ride: Yamaha Super Tenere 2012
Previous Ride:
2011 to 2015 2011 Versys Spark BlackKawasaki Ninja 2010 to 2011 250R 2008 Plasma Blue
My V's Farkle Log:
post #17 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 09:11 PM

Do you wave at cops in cop cars? I always wonder if they understand it is a friendly wave or if they wonder if I've just flipped them off. The last one I waved at turned around and followed me for about five miles before I got him off my butt.

Someday is not a day of the week.
post #18 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 10:24 PM

Definitely a fan of the wave, unless I'm clutching, then you'll get a nod. The wave rocks because it is a connection, not just because you have two wheels and a motor, but because everyone is feeling the love of the ride. In my opinion, if someone can't acknowledge the awesomeness and bad-assery of pounding the pavement with his fellow riders, then he can get a bus pass. I love my bike, I love all the fellow riders I've met, and I love the feeling of brotherhood. In that case, I'm gonna wave an upside down peace sign at every rider I meet. Thanks for sharing the road with me, guys! It'd be lonely out there without ya!

'89 yz 80
'96 cr 80
'99 kx 125
'09 Versys
post #19 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 11:03 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerpawed View Post
Do you wave at cops in cop cars? I always wonder if they understand it is a friendly wave or if they wonder if I've just flipped them off. The last one I waved at turned around and followed me for about five miles before I got him off my butt.

If i see them look at me i wave. Most all of them have waved or nodded back.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #20 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 11:36 PM
MTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerpawed View Post
I wave at everybody all the time, cops too! Unless they are try to pull me over and I'm try to get away. But thats all in the past now!

A good wave never hurt anybody but watch what you are doing!

ATGATT & CCW

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode