Accident damage - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-18-2017, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Accident damage

Got rear ended the other evening. Most of impact hit rear wheel and bike is now at dealer for appraisal. Not sure if bike is a write off yet or not. Anyone have any idea what to look for as far as damage goes. In particular how to check for frame or swing arm alignment?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bike_small.jpg (56.9 KB, 143 views)
File Type: jpg car small.jpg (152.5 KB, 129 views)

Last edited by twowheels; 11-18-2017 at 03:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-18-2017, 03:18 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
When my '09 'wrecked', I noticed it first in how the rear-brakes were NOT getting uniform 'wear' around the disc.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-18-2017, 03:45 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
When my '09 'wrecked', I noticed it first in how the rear-brakes were NOT getting uniform 'wear' around the disc.

It seemed to squirt some brake fluid on my rear tire. Not sure why at this point.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-18-2017, 06:27 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Don't be surprised if your insurance company writes-off your bike. Parts and labor are expensive. They will assume the worst for "hidden" damages. When they do that, it is easy to exceed 80% of the bikes current market value on paper. This is what they are trying to do with my wife's car after a minor "not-at-fault" fender bender. I'm arguing with them, but will probably end up on the loosing side.

Insurance and taxes are very similar - we get to constantly pay, but rarely collect.

Good luck!
onewizard likes this.

2011 V650 in Black, well accessorized.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-18-2017, 06:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Hope you are OK, thats quite a bit of damage the car has, Id assume it did some frame damage to the bike.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-18-2017, 08:52 PM

Bloody hell...hope you weren't injured, but it had to have been a heck of a jolt. I'd also assume that the frame was tweaked in some way...the force of that hit had to go somewhere.

Dave C
2008 Versys (Red)
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-19-2017, 07:48 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I hate reading these posts. Hope you are OK, and the driver is fully insured.

I am surprised that the passenger side of the car took the hit. Were they trying to get in the left turn lane when they hit you?

My Versys Travels:

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-19-2017, 11:34 AM

I would think that there would be some serious swing arm/frame damage from that one. Good thing you're still talking/walking.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-19-2017, 12:08 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
I hate reading these posts.
I used to feel the same way. Then someone who is a "glass half full" kind of person pointed out that the accident victim was able to post. The outcome could have been much worse than a disposable piece of hardware being broken. Sure, it is not good that the accident happened, and the bureaucratic insurance hassle will have to be dealt with, but it is better than the alternative.

Now, when I hear a police, ambulance or fire truck siren I think "Help is on the way!"
onewizard and twowheeladdict like this.

2011 V650 in Black, well accessorized.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-19-2017, 03:56 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Wow every riders nightmare ...To be hit from behind while sitting still..Hope the bikes not too damaged but glad you weren't damaged .....

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 12:55 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Having been in a similar position coming up on a bike with traffic in front of bike at night, it is easy to become focused on the bright brake lights of the line of stopped cars ahead and not notice there is a bike between you and the stopped cars when all you can see is a much dimmer tail light between bright tail lights. I suspect this is what happened. I switched lanes in slow moving traffic ~7 seconds or so before I was hit. I was in the right part of the lane. Saw the guy coming but he was a fair ways back and assumed he would be slowing for the traffic. I switched from a stopped lane and did not speed up much as there was a line of stopped cars in the lane I switched to 100 feet ahead. Not sure but some supper bright brake lights might have helped. 18 year old kid driving the car was obviously going way to fast for conditions. It is one of those accidents that as a motorcycle rider you can't really prevent by being vigilant or driving defensively.

Last edited by twowheels; 11-20-2017 at 01:03 AM.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 07:11 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
Having been in a similar position coming up on a bike with traffic in front of bike at night, it is easy to become focused on the bright brake lights of the line of stopped cars ahead and not notice there is a bike between you and the stopped cars when all you can see is a much dimmer tail light between bright tail lights. I suspect this is what happened. I switched lanes in slow moving traffic ~7 seconds or so before I was hit. I was in the right part of the lane. Saw the guy coming but he was a fair ways back and assumed he would be slowing for the traffic. I switched from a stopped lane and did not speed up much as there was a line of stopped cars in the lane I switched to 100 feet ahead. Not sure but some supper bright brake lights might have helped. 18 year old kid driving the car was obviously going way to fast for conditions. It is one of those accidents that as a motorcycle rider you can't really prevent by being vigilant or driving defensively.
I add skenedesign lights on the rear of my bikes for that extra brightness and visibility.

I added admorelighting LED lights to my GIVI V35 bags for extra visibility.

I also never ride in the right hand side of a lane when coming to a stop unless I am with another rider who is in the left hand side.

Bright reflective riding gear at night at all times.

Once I know that traffic in front of me is slowing or stopping my eyes constantly scan my rear view mirrors for hazards behind me.

Hopefully the kid was cited and fully insured.

None of my actions will stop someone from hitting me, but hopefully will reduce the probability a little bit.

Here are the lights moved to my FZ-07.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001 Givi Luggage.jpg (33.2 KB, 51 views)
16VGTIDave likes this.

My Versys Travels:

post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Got rear ended the other evening. Most of impact hit rear wheel and bike is now at dealer for appraisal. Not sure if bike is a write off yet or not. Anyone have any idea what to look for as far as damage goes. In particular how to check for frame or swing arm alignment?
This link may help you, however it still may be difficult to detect small variances using this method.

https://www.motorcyclistonline.com/h...rage-tech-tips

Be sure to follow the point(s) of impact to see if items "upstream" are affected (i.e. - stress to welds, distortion at swingarm pivot point, etc.). The photo doesn't show much, as far as side view, so it's difficult to comment on what else may be affected from viewing. Key point: always look for the hidden or less obvious damage, that may follow the path of impact.
twowheels likes this.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 11:09 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwwoodard View Post
This link may help you, however it still may be difficult to detect small variances using this method.

https://www.motorcyclistonline.com/h...rage-tech-tips

Be sure to follow the point(s) of impact to see if items "upstream" are affected (i.e. - stress to welds, distortion at swingarm pivot point, etc.). The photo doesn't show much, as far as side view, so it's difficult to comment on what else may be affected from viewing. Key point: always look for the hidden or less obvious damage, that may follow the path of impact.
I use the string alignment method to align my rear wheel after chain adjustments.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 11:12 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
damn! Greg, glad you're ok. Bike is replaceable.
as for this
Not sure but some supper bright brake lights might have helped.
I added $3 Chinese brake light flasher just for this particular reason.
I noticed people give me a bit more space with it.

good luck with the claim
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Ugh. Yeah, it's all too easy to get lost in a sea of brake lights. I've added admore lights to my top case that flash for 5 seconds when I hit the brake initially, and also have reflective tape on it and the side bags. Anything to get someone's attention. Would it have helped? Don't know, but I don't think it would have hurt.

Also, if you have a top case with red lens on it, note that they are not reflective when delivered from the factory. I realized that when I came up behind another bike with a case like mine at night in my car, and noticed that the case wasn't reflective at all. Didn't take me long to rectify that on my own case...

Dave C
2008 Versys (Red)
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-21-2017, 02:13 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Wow every riders nightmare ...To be hit from behind while sitting still..Hope the bikes not too damaged but glad you weren't damaged .....
A couple on a Harley, stopped at a traffic light in Kelowna, BC were rear-ended by a cage-driver, BOTH killed, a couple of years back, in the DAYTIME!

-

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-21-2017, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
A couple on a Harley, stopped at a traffic light in Kelowna, BC were rear-ended by a cage-driver, BOTH killed, a couple of years back, in the DAYTIME!

-
I dont understand how filtering isnt already legal because of things like this... Makes my blood pressure rise.

post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-21-2017, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangles View Post
I dont understand how filtering isnt already legal because of things like this... Makes my blood pressure rise.
I was already on edge of lane and driver had room to pass between me and barricade at side of road if they wished but they still hit. Not sure how lane filtering would have helped.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-22-2017, 12:58 AM

Quote:
I was already on edge of lane and driver had room to pass between me and barricade at side of road if they wished but they still hit. Not sure how lane filtering would have helped.
Assuming you aren't already at the front of the line, go between the cars to the front, maybe hear the screeech and crunch behind you and muse at how being at the back of the line would really suck at that point in time.... Carry on with your day.....
16VGTIDave likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode