Repeat After Me - "Head Must Rule Heart" - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 03:35 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Repeat After Me - "Head Must Rule Heart"

I knew this would happen... one of the West London Ducati Dealers held a sort of roadshow and demo rideout at a local bike meeting point in the Surrey Hills last Sunday. Having always fancied a go on the 796 Hypermotard I went along and went on a 45 minute accompanied ride. Well, I'm in lurve, there is no doubt. What a lovely bike, perfect fuelling, looks to die for and well, I don't know what. This WILL be the V's successor....! (Although I don't know when..!)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0002.jpg (86.9 KB, 187 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0004.jpg (83.2 KB, 174 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0006.jpg (83.2 KB, 164 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9991.jpg (96.8 KB, 167 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9993.jpg (100.1 KB, 195 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9994.jpg (100.5 KB, 176 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9995.jpg (90.2 KB, 198 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9997.jpg (91.3 KB, 176 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9998.jpg (73.8 KB, 176 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 04:02 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Sweet looking bike. But damn your license plates are big enough for a blind person to read..

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 04:17 PM

I LOVED the '09 Monster 1100 I had. I did a lot to make it lighter including putting OZ Racing wheels on. Of the 17 different bikes I've had over the years (including Japenese sport bikes) the Monster was the best handling bike I've ever ridden. WHAT SOUL!!!

The main reason I sold it (well, other than wanting to downsize from 6 to 5 bikes) is that the Monster was going to get me in jail or the hospital or the morgue.

My toys:
'09 Versys in Cool Lime ~ '06 Harley Roadking
'95 Suzuki DR350S ~ '94 Suzuki DR350S
'09 Kawi STX15F jet ski ~ '07 Kawi STX12F Jetski
'09 Yamaha Superjet ~ '13 Ram 4X4 3500 Cummins
'09 BMW 535i ~ '10 Kubota B3300SU

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 05:17 PM

I have a mate who works at a motorcycle dealership that sells Ducati, TRiumph, BMW, Suzuki and Husqvana bikes. The staff call the Ducati section 'The Boulevard of Broken Dreams" because so many buyers are back just a few months later to trade in their dream bike after either crashing or suffering ongoing mechanical faults . Still, they are awesome looking bikes!
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 07:46 PM

Just ask How much you'll have to pay for a valve check and your wallet will agree with your head and shut your heart mouth off.

You know the saying ride by the seat of your pants. Buy the Ducati put your wallet in your back pocket and you will feel how slim it will get once you start paying for service.

Like an hot Italian girlfriend I once dated. Beatiful gal incredible performance, but boy was she temperamental and expensive!
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 08:32 PM

A Ducati is just like the Fiat Abarth girl Catrinel Menghia. Oh so beautiful!

http://www.fashionmodeldirectory.com...wphoto/277686/

2008 Versys-sold
2016 Yamaha FJ-09
1988 Honda Hawk GT NT650

Truth
It is more important now than ever.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 10:56 PM

The smaller capacity fuel tank is a downside of the bike. Versys still rules on long range though I wish there is a 800cc Versys in the future

Present Ride: Yamaha Super Tenere 2012
Previous Ride:
2011 to 2015 2011 Versys Spark BlackKawasaki Ninja 2010 to 2011 250R 2008 Plasma Blue
My V's Farkle Log:
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 10:59 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Sweet looking bike. But damn your license plates are big enough for a blind person to read..
Makes it that much easier for Constable Plodder to see as well.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 02:23 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Weljo - yep, road legal standard "PIZZA BOX LID" bike plate is 9" x 7" over here. However, most have smaller plates made up. I run a 6" x 4" on the back of my V. Only a very pedantic cop will pull you for a small plate alone, but if he's witnessed you being a bit of a "hooligan", then that offence will get thrown into the mix as well.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 02:28 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boricua View Post
Just ask How much you'll have to pay for a valve check and your wallet will agree with your head and shut your heart mouth off.

You know the saying ride by the seat of your pants. Buy the Ducati put your wallet in your back pocket and you will feel how slim it will get once you start paying for service.

Like an hot Italian girlfriend I once dated. Beatiful gal incredible performance, but boy was she temperamental and expensive!
Lol...! That's what's always concerned me - reliability and cost of servicing. However, modern Ducs are a different animal these days, less servicing costs and less frequent intervals - 796 Hyper' at least. If only Kwak would bring out a 750/800 cc Versys, lighter and more 'Motard', I'd be at the front of the Q...!
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedseven50 View Post
Lol...! That's what's always concerned me - reliability and cost of servicing. However, modern Ducs are a different animal these days, less servicing costs and less frequent intervals - 796 Hyper' at least. If only Kwak would bring out a 750/800 cc Versys, lighter and more 'Motard', I'd be at the front of the Q...!
I looked at the 796 when they first came out,(my V about 6 mths old). Fuel capacity, air cooling, desmo maintenance all were negative points. Lighter weight, better suspension/brakes and about 10 more hp/torque were plus's.
New bike and $9995 asking price meant NO Sale. Boy she sure is sexy tho.
Better off with my V I'm sure. I know there isn't room for an overbore, but a 4mm offset crankpin (~.162") with a corresponding 4mm shorter rod seems doable? No? That I know is happening with ZX 14's. I've seen the cranks and the Carillo,Falicon,and I believe Pantl rods. Been a while since I did the math, but I believe that would yield 746cc's.
I love the V, now give me 55ft/lbs torque please. While your at it 4 piston front calipers and a 17mm radial MC maybe? The calipers are on the shelf at Nissin and Tokico. Late model GSXR's use a 11/16 MC (17.46mm) So charge $500 more you won't be able to keep up with demand. While I'm dreaming a suspension upgrade is in order too.

Lean/Two
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
A Ducati is just like the Fiat Abarth girl Catrinel Menghia. Oh so beautiful!

http://www.fashionmodeldirectory.com...wphoto/277686/
She's a babe...!
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 03:34 PM

Yeah, Ducs are eye candy and I can't blame your for falling under their spell.

I was looking at a parked MultiStrada (gen 1) when the owner came by. We got to talking and I mentioned I had a Versys. He didn't know them about so I pointed out mine to him down the row of bikes. He gave it look up close and I said it was "like a poor man's MultiStrada." He corrected me: "It's a Kawasaki? More like a smart man's MultiStrada."

Ride what you like.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2019 F750GS
2014 R1200RT
2008 Versys (SOLD 11/19)
2003 ST1300ABS (SOLD 5/15)
IBA 59868
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 07:40 AM Thread Starter

I've been doing some research into servicing costs. Some dealers are doing tailored service packages for lower mileage users (like me) but it's a whole heap more than the V servicing...! And as for shim kits if required ...... I won't even go there... "Dear Versys of mine - I apologise for having had a wandering eye.!"
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 09:59 PM

Gentlemen, this is why we need TWO motorcycles minimum. Choose two to suit your head and heart, but choose wisely.

In my case, I have a Versys outfitted with bags, heated grips, etc. I also have a red Triumph Daytona 675 that is gorgeous (and far more reliable and cheaper to service than a Ducati, but still on the frivolous side) that I take to the track occasionally and ride on a rare sunny weekend day on lusciously curving roads. I have put more miles on the Versys in two years than I have on the Daytona in five. The Daytona is a cruel and demanding mistress, leaving me with a sore neck and aching back, but I still love her because she performs like no other. I love the Versys for other reasons. More sensible reasons.

Think it's too expensive to have two bikes? Just compare how much cheaper it is than having a wife and a mistress. (Apologies to our female readers. I'll assume you're too smart to go down that road anyway.)

Whitehorse Press is going out of business so it's time for a final sale. Signed copies of my book are now $10 with free shipping in the U.S. while they last.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
He corrected me: "It's a Kawasaki? More like a smart man's MultiStrada."
That was a very cool thing for him to say to you! He sounds like a very "smart" man.

'11 Versys
'06 DR650
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 10:59 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by motociclista View Post
Gentlemen, this is why we need TWO motorcycles minimum. Choose two to suit your head and heart, but choose wisely.

In my case, I have a Versys outfitted with bags, heated grips, etc. I also have a red Triumph Daytona 675 that is gorgeous (and far more reliable and cheaper to service than a Ducati, but still on the frivolous side) that I take to the track occasionally and ride on a rare sunny weekend day on lusciously curving roads. I have put more miles on the Versys in two years than I have on the Daytona in five. The Daytona is a cruel and demanding mistress, leaving me with a sore neck and aching back, but I still love her because she performs like no other. I love the Versys for other reasons. More sensible reasons.

Think it's too expensive to have two bikes? Just compare how much cheaper it is than having a wife and a mistress. (Apologies to our female readers. I'll assume you're too smart to go down that road anyway.)
For that matter, two bikes might even be less expensive than a wife OR mistress (with my apologies as well to our female readers). Some can be rather high maintenance though, wonderfully, my charming wife isn't in that category, or if she is I haven't noticed it. Either way, I've no complaints at all.

Regarding two bikes, I love my Versys as an all-rounder although I love my new-to-me BMW K75S as a mile eating, smooth as silk sport tourer. Each has its positives and negatives but between the two they're perfect for everything I do. Can't beat it (them?) with a stick.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 11:01 PM

Quote:

Took the same route as Motociclista.

I have the mighty V, and a 2009 Kawi ZX-6R.
The 6R in the powerband is an absolute missile [actually quite a bit over the speed limit if one were to get in the powerband, so i've heard] Love that bike. Good for track days and getting that need for speed satisfied out in the twisties. Then i go back to being comfy and quick from semi cramped and fast.

Pearl Chrome Yellow/Metallic Violet Royal
02 Kawasaki Ninja 250 -sold
Lime Green 09 Kawasaki Ninja 650 -sold
Candy Plasma Blue 09 Kawasaki Versys - [UJM 2.0! ]
Lime Green 09 Kawasaki ZX-6R -(my little green ticket factory)

"Make it a day to remember. Go ride."

Last edited by QtrLitre; 08-24-2012 at 11:04 PM.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-26-2012, 05:35 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Gentlemen, this is why we need TWO motorcycles minimum. Choose two to suit your head and heart, but choose wisely....
And that is WHY I have two motorcycles...

...and they're BOTH Versys....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode