Oh my aching shoulders - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 05:33 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Oh my aching shoulders

Just got back from a 3000 km ride from Calgary to Victoria and back. The Versys ran flawlessly the whole way. Checked the oil level and tire pressures once in a while but they never needed anything.

Nothing to do with the Versys, but the only down side was a nagging back ache between my shoulder blades. This would start up 2 or 3 hours into the days rides. I tried twisting and turning to try and stretch it while I rode as well a different riding positions but nothing seemed to help.

Has anyone else had this? I have a feeling that it is my out-of-shape 62 year old body that needs a tune up...can anyone suggest some strengthening exercises and/or stretches.

Thanks
Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 06:05 PM
VOz

Quote:
Originally Posted by versysxxx View Post
Just got back from a 3000 km ride from Calgary to Victoria and back. The Versys ran flawlessly the whole way. Checked the oil level and tire pressures once in a while but they never needed anything.

Nothing to do with the Versys, but the only down side was a nagging back ache between my shoulder blades. This would start up 2 or 3 hours into the days rides. I tried twisting and turning to try and stretch it while I rode as well a different riding positions but nothing seemed to help.

Has anyone else had this? I have a feeling that it is my out-of-shape 62 year old body that needs a tune up...can anyone suggest some strengthening exercises and/or stretches.

Thanks
Brian
This happened to me when I fitted the SC Seat which raised me about 1" higher in the seat. Agony.

I refitted the OEM seat and an SW Motech 1" riser and am now very happy, even did a 300klm trip in comfort where a previous 150klm trip killed me.

Voz

Sydney, Australia
2012 Kawasaki Versys 650
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 06:08 PM

Handle bar risers might help.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 06:14 PM

Core exercises will help support your spine and reduce back pain. Swimming is good as well.

Back extensions can help relieve the pain - use your arms for support as you extend then fully relax when you lay down before extending again. x10 a few times a day
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 06:50 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Handlebar risers helped me.Started with the SW-Motech Risers then changed to motowerk anti-vibe risers...http://www.shop.motowerk.com/Versys_c2.htm

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 07:38 PM

One thing I’ve found very helpful to fight off aches and pains in the back and shoulders while riding LD is a soft material back brace or support belt. I’m currently using Alpinestars Touring Kidney Belt, which has back support and a great comfort pad in the back (great in cold too!). What it does for me is help maintain a good riding posture over long periods, lack of which I think is the biggest contributing factor to the aches.

Bill -- 2012 Versys
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 07:46 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twitch View Post
One thing Iíve found very helpful to fight off aches and pains in the back and shoulders while riding LD is a soft material back brace or support belt. Iím currently using Alpinestars Touring Kidney Belt, which has back support and a great comfort pad in the back (great in cold too!). What it does for me is help maintain a good riding posture over long periods, lack of which I think is the biggest contributing factor to the aches.

For longer trips i never leave home with out this.....http://www.koolbak.com/MotorcycleBelt/Kidney_Belt.html

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 08:30 PM

I always had the same problem but bar risers solved it for me.

2013 Versys1000
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 07:32 AM

Yep.. bar risers!

May the road always curve in front of you.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 09:44 AM

Bar riser. I did 3", and am very happy. And my bike definitely feels more dirt bikey.

This is very common to daylong computer clickers. I call 'em the "computer neck geek muscles".

Rowing, and stretching your shoulder blades up and back while pulling your elbows together behind you can help.

"Always go forward. Going straight is no fun."

'08 Red
Givi shield
Famsa Tank bag and pannier set
Happy Trails Panniers
Zeta blinker handgaurds
SeatPad Mod w/ Alaska leather cover
Heated grip wraps
Fiammi Hi & low tone horns

2008 V
1985 BMW R80
1989 Honda XR600R (650)
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 10:35 AM

5600+ miles for me this summer over 19 days (17 days of riding) - no problems. Stock seat with Airhawk, stock bars.

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72

Last edited by genehil; 08-14-2012 at 10:37 AM.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

Thank for all the comments. I never would have thought of bar risers but it definately would be worth a try. Those Speedy's anit-vibration bar rise look good...I think I will order some. Also the kidney belt...been meaning to get one of those.

For exercise, what exactly do you mean by back extensions? I have one of those roman benchs (I think they are called)...a 45ļ bench that you hook your legs on and lower and raise your upper body...is that what you mean?
I have it but have not used it for awhile.

BTW, For riding position I tend to keep my back straight and bend forward from the hips with my arms at a 90ļ angle. This seems to be best for my lower back which can also be touchy.

Thanks
Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode