Turn signal stalks disintegrating - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 02:50 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Turn signal stalks disintegrating

I searched around and haven't found anyone else with this issue... but my turn signal stalks are coming apart.. 3 out of 4 now.

Where the stalk joins the body, and the metal plate bolts on to clamp it to the bodywork.. the rubber has broken down and come apart, leaving the stalk hanging.

I thought I had done something wrong on the rear when I installed my Givi racks and relocated the signals. Maybe tightened them down too much or some such. Then yesterday, I roll her out to wash her and one of the front stalks is dangling loose. Bikes never been down, don't use harsh chemicals, just soap and water, spends most of its time in a covered parking spot.

At $45 or so each, I don't want to replace them with the stock pieces, so I reckon its time for so low-pro replacements.

Anyone else found their turn signals less than durable?

'08 Versys.. Givi rear rack, JCW trunk and E21's, Givi shield, Madstad bracket, Speedy peg and mirror brackets, lowering kit, SC Seat, R1 Shock.. other stuff. '09 KLX250 setup for singletrack. 2011 Xterra, '80 CJ-7

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 10:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
First off, that does sound odd. Shouldn't be happening.

Being the cheapskate I am, I'd try finding rubber bushing or rubber washers to try a fix. The wiring just plugs in and out, so you can unplug and slide something over.

For me, I'd try a few REAL hardware stores first and see if you can problem solve something that will fit well and also seal out water......

Concours C14
PGR #192992

Ride Reports Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

on two wheels:
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 07:17 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
That is strange, and something you usually only see on cheap Chinese motorcycle and ATV reproductions. No such occurence on other Versys' used in extreme heat, severe weather and environments.

You might find some stock turn signals here:

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...archid=1285886

Most aftermarket universal turn signals are smaller and LED lit, which requires an LED compatible flasher unit or inline resistors. They also don't have the Versys' specific rounded rectangular base shape, and may be hard to adapt.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 09:01 AM

I've seen reports of similar issues for the 2008 KLR, so it's not unheard of.

See http://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.php?t=54056 for more information.

Dave C

Dave C
2008 Versys (Red)
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 10:14 AM

Got a complete set for an 09, but I've cut the OE terminals off to use with flush mount signals. I'll take $30 + shipping for all 4. No damage.

Lean/Two
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 12:09 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
^ That is a great deal for all 4... I was just gonna mention these universal turn signals which use a regular incandescent bulb (sold by the pair):

http://www.vipcycle.com/categories/t...-turn-signals/
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 11:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Cothron View Post
Got a complete set for an 09, but I've cut the OE terminals off to use with flush mount signals. I'll take $30 + shipping for all 4. No damage.
That sounds like a plan.. I'll PM you for info.. Thanks,

'08 Versys.. Givi rear rack, JCW trunk and E21's, Givi shield, Madstad bracket, Speedy peg and mirror brackets, lowering kit, SC Seat, R1 Shock.. other stuff. '09 KLX250 setup for singletrack. 2011 Xterra, '80 CJ-7

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-25-2016, 11:41 AM

my rear turn signal (right) gave after riding through some very rough roads…

i still wonder why though…

Speaks softly, but carries a sidearm...
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-25-2016, 12:03 PM Thread Starter

The set I got from T Cothron are still holding up well... Only other parts I have had issues with are the grab handles cracking and my airfilter came apart in my hands. The airfilter was original so it was probably time... and the grab handles seem to be a wide-spread issue.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-26-2016, 05:20 AM

I've had to replace one of the front turn signals. Left rear is zip tied to keep it in place. I will probably replace all with cheap aftermarket sets.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-03-2016, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

Old thread, but an update..... the replacement set I got from T Cothron died today,, both rear stalks fell apart this morning...and the from left stalk gave up the ghost a couple months ago

Time for a set of cheap Chinese knockoffs..... lol

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode