New 2012 - No Regulator??? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 04:30 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
New 2012 - No Regulator???

Picked up my new bike two weeks ago. First ride dash went blank at 30 miles then engine died 5 miles later - dead battery. Loaded it up in the truck, got it home, charged up the battery and took it back out - 25 miles later, same thing happened. Started looking around and noticed a connector dangling near the swing arm pivot - a little more looking around and NO REGULATOR mounted on the little shelf on the left side Called the dealer and they got one overnighted from the warehouse and it was in my hands the next day + they reimbursed me for the cost of a new battery. Installed the regulator and all is good. Now have 450 miles on it, just changed the oil/filter getting ready for a week long trip to SC/NC/TN for a riding vacation with 8 other friends.

Already have an airhawk seat (the stock seat is indeed very firm) - Yoshi fender eliminator, spools, and forward handle pitbull stand should be arriving tomorrow. My initial impressions regarding the ride are that the steering is quick, motor has plenty of power on tap over a wide powerband - very surprising for a mid-size twin, rear is a little stiff but feels very confident when pushed hard into corners that have bumps or tar strips. Been watching threads regarding setting up the suspension and will be trying out some changes to soften up the back end. Was surprised how smooth the transmission is, was expecting worse after seeing lots of threads complaining about it. Front brakes could be better but there is enough feedback that I am comfortable. I ride all my bikes aggressively and now that I have it broken in, I am pushing it hard to find its limits and having a ball, this bike has a lot of character. Looking forward to lots miles with this bike and glad to have found this forum

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 02:12 AM

What's missing are the accessories

Good that they got the R/R fixed. For the brakes, if you need to get it to be more responsive, get the Stainless Steel Braided hoses. Worth the investment.

Present Ride: Yamaha Super Tenere 2012
Previous Ride:
2011 to 2015 2011 Versys Spark BlackKawasaki Ninja 2010 to 2011 250R 2008 Plasma Blue
My V's Farkle Log:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 07:13 AM

Any explanation why there was no regulator? That is really strange!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

May the road always curve in front of you.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 09:25 AM

Must've been assembled on a Friday or Monday! Dealer really stood up well.

+1 on the ss brake lines if you like riding her hard.

Ride To Live, Live To Ride....no, really!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 10:35 AM

Pad change at the same time, I've liked the EBC HH.
Congrats on the new bike!
I wonder if they pulled the R/R to get somebody on the road, then forgot to replace it?
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 05:07 PM

Yes she is a beaut. Hope you have miles of fun on it!!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 01:15 AM

How the heck can a new bike be delivered without the R/R??!! A factory mistake, I presume. Anyhow, glad you're all sorted now - enjoy. Black 'n' yellow looks good...!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 08:48 AM

Nice Bumble Bee!

And it's really nice to have a new bike that runs

"Always go forward. Going straight is no fun."

'08 Red
Givi shield
Famsa Tank bag and pannier set
Happy Trails Panniers
Zeta blinker handgaurds
SeatPad Mod w/ Alaska leather cover
Heated grip wraps
Fiammi Hi & low tone horns

2008 V
1985 BMW R80
1989 Honda XR600R (650)
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 03:17 PM

She's a beauty!!!
Now that you got ye full electrical system get Motowerk's mirror extenders for your trip.

2012 Pittsburgh Steeler Versys

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedseven50 View Post
How the heck can a new bike be delivered without the R/R??!! A factory mistake, I presume. Anyhow, glad you're all sorted now - enjoy. Black 'n' yellow looks good...!
I bet somebody needed a regulator so the dealership stole it off the new bike. I needed a stator last year and had a dealer open up a new bike to get me one.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenr74 View Post
I bet somebody needed a regulator so the dealership stole it off the new bike. I needed a stator last year and had a dealer open up a new bike to get me one.
Yea Ken, bet that's exactly what happened. Dealership was great working with me - sent the owner a nice email and he replied with his cell number telling me to call him anytime if I have any issue. Great guys to work with - refreshing in these days of customer no-service.....anyone on the FL west coast south of Tampa want a referral, contact me. These guys had the best price within a 200 mile radius of Orlando.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 09:55 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Hope the absence of the RR did no harm to the alternator. A bit surprised as to how dealers can be so careless .
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastoman View Post
Hope the absence of the RR did no harm to the alternator. A bit surprised as to how dealers can be so careless .
I would think the alternator is a non-issue as there was no load on it without the RR - working just fine so far...I measured the output at several revs and it is charging just fine
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenr74 View Post
Yep, good thought Ken...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode