underseat tire repair kit: plugger and pump - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 03:30 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
underseat tire repair kit: plugger and pump

I needed a tire pump for touring and commuting. I read on advrider about stripping down a slime pump.

You can get a slime pump for less than $20 from walmart. I actually have the power sports version, which is $30 or so. I think it's smaller. I bought it on sale at Pep Boys a while ago. Another option is the Harbor Freight pump.

This is what worked for me.

Tire plugger kit.
To save space, I chopped one end of the handles off using a hand saw. The tire plugs are in a zip lock to prevent them from drying out. This all goes in a cordura bag. These bags are nice because they are abrasion resistant. They protect your tools and other things from the tools. Put a pencil-style tire guage in here too.

The slime pump out of the case.
The pump goes in a zip lock bag and into a tough cordura bag. The pump is powered through a sae lead. The bike already has an sae lead attached to the battery. The sae lead has a 15amp fuse, so be sure that your fuse can handle the current draw of the pump. Which is around 12amp...maybe?

The slime pump has a plastic end that goes over the tire valve. This really sucks, since the threads get stuck on the plastic. The key is to move the hose attachment straight up and down over the valve. If you go diagonally, it will get stuck. This always bugged me and I think I'll buy a metal end for my pump and cut off the plastic one. I have an air compressor at home, so I don't use my pump often.

1.hose
2.pump
3.long sae lead in zip lock
4.plugger kit inside of side fairing
5.stock tool kit moved back

Hopefully this will help someone. It's nice for commuting because it all fits under the seat, you don't have to carry extra bags,etc. for commuting. Be sure to put the pump in a spot where it won't get banged around. The soldered connections on the pump may break.

When you use the pump, keep it off the ground, so no dirt gets in it. Also, turn the pump off and let it cool down if it's been running for a while. Then, restart.
You may have to have the bike running to prevent your battery from draining.

Last edited by RickySpanish; 08-12-2012 at 03:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 04:39 PM

Nice job!
You must have been a scout.

Chris in N J
2004 S-2000
2000 YAMAHA KODIAK

"Every tool is a weapon if you use it right"
"The highest result of education is tolerance."
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 06:45 PM

You might want to form a loop out of some sheet aluminum and attach it around the pump gear to keep it from fouling on something when it is running.

I like the idea of trimming the handles of the plugging tools. I'll have to do that with mine.

George

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 06:57 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Or get a pump you can beat the crap out of and not worry....

IMG_0070 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 07:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Or get a pump you can beat the crap out of and not worry....

IMG_0070 by weljo2001, on Flickr

can you fit that under your seat? i saw that at a dealership and it was too big. plus, it's hard for me to justify the $100 cost when other pumps work fine and are reliable. i'm all for buying good tools, but i cant justify the cycle pump. i'm sure it's good, but not $100 good . plus, i really want everything to fit under my seat. i like to be slim when i'm commuting. sometimes i do have to be sneaky and lane split.

the slime pump is fine. i haven't beat the crap out of it, whatever that means, but i take it along with me on my dirt bike rides. i keep the pump in a tank pannier. i've dropped that bike plenty of times. i'm not sure if any weight gets on the pump, though. this was when the pump was in its original plastic case. i always ride in the dirt with my friends, so i probably just leave my pump on the versys and just mooch off of someone else.

i just need to do some diy and upgrade the hose end. probably only costs a few bucks. people have been using the slime pump for years and years. i've had mine for a while,too.

i've heard that the harbor freight tire plug kit isn't so great. the reamer sometimes breaks. maybe i'll upgrade that later. i've actually plugged a tire 2 years ago with a HF kit and it worked fine.

Last edited by RickySpanish; 08-12-2012 at 07:14 PM.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 07:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
agree. do you bring the cut down half housing with you, because it does want to jump around when running, and you do need both hands free.

periodically replace the tube of cement, the cement will dry up in the tube in time, whether it has been opened or not. can be a big surprise if you have to use it.
i think holding on to it is fine.
but you can just hang the pump off of your bike with a long length of rope.
i dont want to bring the housing with me, i want a compact solution.

good point about the cement. what's the shelf life of that thing?
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr400guy View Post
Nice job!
You must have been a scout.
no, lol.

i've just learned from experience (the hard way).

if someone else learns from what i've experienced, then that's true wisdom.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 08:58 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickySpanish View Post
can you fit that under your seat? i saw that at a dealership and it was too big. plus, it's hard for me to justify the $100 cost when other pumps work fine and are reliable. i'm all for buying good tools, but i cant justify the cycle pump. i'm sure it's good, but not $100 good . plus, i really want everything to fit under my seat. i like to be slim when i'm commuting. sometimes i do have to be sneaky and lane split.

the slime pump is fine. i haven't beat the crap out of it, whatever that means, but i take it along with me on my dirt bike rides. i keep the pump in a tank pannier. i've dropped that bike plenty of times. i'm not sure if any weight gets on the pump, though. this was when the pump was in its original plastic case. i always ride in the dirt with my friends, so i probably just leave my pump on the versys and just mooch off of someone else.

i just need to do some diy and upgrade the hose end. probably only costs a few bucks. people have been using the slime pump for years and years. i've had mine for a while,too.

i've heard that the harbor freight tire plug kit isn't so great. the reamer sometimes breaks. maybe i'll upgrade that later. i've actually plugged a tire 2 years ago with a HF kit and it worked fine.

I've got so much stuff under the seat.I couldn't get a pack of matches under there.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 07:19 AM

Ugh.. I hate Slime products. They have that name for a reason.

I tried the pump you have pictured to just top off the pressure of my bike. I used my car's battery via the power outlet in the center console. Every time I tried to turn on the pump I roasted the 15amp fuse in my car.

I've been looking for a Slime alternative that is somewhere in a range lower than the $100 Weljo has pictured.

May the road always curve in front of you.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 09:25 AM

Take a look at the Airman Tour pump. They used to be about $35. The Tour is the replacement for the Sparrow.

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 10:28 AM

I use a bicycle pump. Small and works a treat. This one:

http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Cyclin...ni-me-pump.jsp
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 11:17 AM

I bought the one from Rider Wearhouse (the Aerostich folks). $42, no upgrades needed. It has a chain lanyard to support it in operation and runs fine off a 10 amp fuse in the accessory fuse panel. That and a Dynaplug kit fit in the tray that used to hold the tool kit (moved that to the Yellow Box).
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt. Versuvius View Post
I use a bicycle pump. Small and works a treat. This one:

http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Cyclin...ni-me-pump.jsp
You don't actually inflate a fully flat tire with that mini pump do you?

It must take about one milllion strokes....good for your forearms but jeez...

John in AZ
'08 Versys
'11 Victory Cross Roads

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zatx View Post
I tried the pump you have pictured to just top off the pressure of my bike. I used my car's battery via the power outlet in the center console. Every time I tried to turn on the pump I roasted the 15amp fuse in my car.
I power the pump using a 15amp fused sae lead under my seat. It's worked on both bikes.

Lots of good options out there. Thanks for sharing. Just be sure it's compact! At least, that's a big thing I care about....

If you go with the bicycle pump, you will get reliable air when you need it!
Unfortunately, it takes FOREVER to get something inflated. Try to get a pump that's dual action, meaning it inflates on the in and out stroke. I bought one a few years back from REI. Even with dual-action, it took about 10 strokes to get one psi. I had to return it. Somewhere they sell a compact foot operated pump....I think it was Twisted Throttle....

Where can I get a cheap air chuck?
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 11:52 AM

Slime top off pump is a POS. Mine broke after three uses. I keep a set of CO2 canisters along with the plugs under the seat. It keeps me going until I can find a service station. I also have road side assitance. They guy in the tow truck also carries a pump.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boricua View Post
Slime top off pump is a POS. Mine broke after three uses. I keep a set of CO2 canisters along with the plugs under the seat. It keeps me going until I can find a service station. I also have road side assitance. They guy in the tow truck also carries a pump.
Good point. I think my AMA membership gets me roadside assistance.. I'll have to check into that.

May the road always curve in front of you.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmlmjmjm View Post
You don't actually inflate a fully flat tire with that mini pump do you?

It must take about one milllion strokes....good for your forearms but jeez...
CO2 cartridges for backup, but you'd be surprised how quickly a floor pump will fill a tire.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 02:45 PM Thread Starter

It sounds like there's a lot of people with their own toolkit.
AWESOME!

If you don't have one, make one (to fit your needs)!
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
CO2 or a bicycle pump just won't cut it. when you're done fixing a leak, you want that tire fully inflated to the rated pressure before you ride.
Sorry, but this is not correct. I can go from 0 to 36 psi in approx. 5 minutes, using my bicycle pump (the one in my link, not a big floor pump), no CO2. In my experience this is even faster than the little cigarette pack size pumps marketed to motorcyclists, as well as the Wally World pumps. Sure, it takes a little bit of elbow grease, but unless you have a heart condition it's pretty easy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode