SW Motech must have changed the top rack - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 09:41 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
SW Motech must have changed the top rack

I was over at TT looking the the SW Motech top rack for my 2012 to see if I could make it fit with the side racks. I want a tail trunk to stash my helmet in more than haul stuff having had two stolen over the years and with the side boxes I have to pull the left box off to get the key in to unlock the seat to even get at the hooks. When I noticed that now it says will fit WITH or without the side racks! It has a new part number so I'll call tomorrow and if they as yep it fits I'll order.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade...view/7532/788/

Or was that look THEN leap?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 650 Versys

Last edited by Time; 08-12-2012 at 10:42 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 10:11 AM

I'm trying to figure this out for my 2008. I h ave the top rack but not sure what side racks will actually fit with it. There seems to be some conflicting info on TT.
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smedv View Post
I'm trying to figure this out for my 2008. I h ave the top rack but not sure what side racks will actually fit with it. There seems to be some conflicting info on TT.
I guess you can believe what TT says or you can go to this thread and see photographic evidence that the SW Motech side racks do fit with the top rack.
I promise I didnt Photoshop them together.
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=19335

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

Well I called and they said NO won't fit. I pointed out theis site said it wound and they said it was wrong. I check latter and they'd changed the page. I'd down loaded the install PDF and it shows them fitting as well.

I think I'm going to order it anyway. I don't want to haul stuff in it I just want a safe place to lock my helmet up when I get to where I'm going.

Besides I don't see anything a BIG hammer can't fix!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 650 Versys
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time View Post
Well I called and they said NO won't fit. I pointed out theis site said it wound and they said it was wrong. I check latter and they'd changed the page. I'd down loaded the install PDF and it shows them fitting as well.

I think I'm going to order it anyway. I don't want to haul stuff in it I just want a safe place to lock my helmet up when I get to where I'm going.

Besides I don't see anything a BIG hammer can't fix!
Something to consider before you make too big of a stink, the examples that were posted in the other thread were for 07-09 Vs. I linked the other thread in response to smedv's post.
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 07:16 PM Thread Starter

I went out to look at the bike and to see why it wonít work and think I may understand why they donít want us to do this. The Versys is a tall bike and has a fairly short wheel base. So cantilevering a large amount of weight off the rear of the bike AND having a passenger on along with a set of sidecases could be a VERY bad thing handling wise. And Iím sure TT is trying to protect us from ourselves the best they can.

Understand I have no ill will against TT at all, I have bought quite a bit from them and will buy from them again. I just had my hopes up and was disappointed that they say not to do it. At least it nice to know that wonít sell me something just to make a sell.

2012 650 Versys
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 03:53 AM

Quote:

The Versys is a tall bike and has a fairly short wheel base. So cantilevering a large amount of weight off the rear of the bike AND having a passenger on along with a set of sidecases could be a VERY bad thing handling wise.

Kawasaki have always recommended that you do not fit a topbox with side panniers. I guess they have to cover their back against someone suing them for over-loading the Versys and having a crash. You are very correct in your analogy and I know of two riders who lost their front ends on the Versys having fitted three boxes and loading them up to the hilt.

Personally, I'll be ordering the SW-Motech Q/R racks for the V35's I've just bought and be using them in conjunction with my AluRack and topbox. However, my topbox is only 33ltr capacity and it will be kept pretty much empty while riding and used as a helmet locker when I'm off the bike.

I'll post up some pics once I eventually get the side racks.

Good luck exploring the infinite abyss
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 10:08 AM

I have a 2011 with SW-motech top rack and side carriers (contour carriers for Givi V35s) they both fit on with no additional modifications other than the installation instructions.

2011 Imperial Red
Givi V46 / V35's SW Motech mounts
Skidmarx hugger Moto Werks bar riser
Mondo Motors LED Driving Lights
A little bit of road rash
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 02:30 PM

Well, I should know tomorrow if the new racks fit on an 09' without a problem..

09 Lime Versys
13' DL650 Vstrom
06 (Gold) Goldwing IV
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 04:28 PM

It'll be three weeks before I know how they'll fit as they're out of stock.

post #11 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy F View Post
It'll be three weeks before I know how they'll fit as they're out of stock.
Did I buy their last set? It seems like they have been short on a couple things lately.. I had to buy my kaoko out of Australia..

09 Lime Versys
13' DL650 Vstrom
06 (Gold) Goldwing IV
post #12 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snownut View Post
Did I buy their last set?

Only if you live in the UK !!

post #13 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 02:50 PM Thread Starter

I ordered and got the SW top rack and the Kawasaka box. It fit with no problem.

HOWEVER I don't plan to ues both at the same time other than when I run to the mall or some place and then just to have a safe place the store my helmet. At a 3 kilo, 6.6 pound load limit and 10 kilo 22 pound for both saddle bags the bikes NOT going to haul a ton anyway.

I'm trying to find a locksmith here to rekey the top box to the same key as the saddlebags withput charging me $50.00!

l think it looks good but like I said I don't plan to have it all mounted most of the time...mainly the top box.

2012 650 Versys

Last edited by Time; 08-23-2012 at 02:52 PM.
post #14 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 03:09 PM

Quote:
I ordered and got the SW top rack and the Kawasaka box. It fit with no problem.

HOWEVER I don't plan to ues both at the same time other than when I run to the mall or some place and then just to have a safe place the store my helmet. At a 3 kilo, 6.6 pound load limit and 10 kilo 22 pound for both saddle bags the bikes NOT going to haul a ton anyway.

I'm trying to find a locksmith here to rekey the top box to the same key as the saddlebags withput charging me $50.00!

l think it looks good but like I said I don't plan to have it all mounted most of the time...mainly the top box.

I wouldn't worry too much about using the top box and saddlebags at the same time. Consider this, the bike is designed for a passenger, which is well over 100lbs. Putting 20lbs in the top box and another 40lbs combined in the saddlebags would still not come close to the effect of carrying a 120lbs passenger even with the CG of the box being 1' further back than a passenger would be. That being what it is, I wouldn't load up all the bags and then stick a hefty passenger back there. But without a passenger, load up and don't worry about it.

BTW, looks good with the lugguage.
post #15 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 05:43 PM

I agree...having all three cases loaded with a passenger is asking for the front end to get very light. Like Time, I have all 3 cases on my 2008, but rarely have a need for the side cases (I use a Kappa K46 top box). And since I never ride with a passenger, the extra weight isn't an issue.

Just my $0.02,
Dave C

Dave C
2008 Versys (Red)
post #16 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

I only ever overloaded my KLR...ONCE and that was more than enough to teach me the wrongs of my ways. The front end didn't rear up or anything so scary. BUT the bike wobbled all over the place and handled like poop. I was on the way home from the store and bought more grub than I thought. Just for my own understanding I wieght every thing and found I'd packed over 60 POUNDS on my poor little bike. Never did that again and never will I hope get even close. Remember the boxes are all much further back than a passenger would be and the center of that weight is higher as well. I have a Pelican 1600 for a topbox along with a couple of 1520s as sideboxes.

2012 650 Versys
post #17 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 08:48 PM

Quote:
I only ever overloaded my KLR...ONCE and that was more than enough to teach me the wrongs of my ways. The front end didn't rear up or anything so scary. BUT the bike wobbled all over the place and handled like poop. I was on the way home from the store and bought more grub than I thought. Just for my own understanding I wieght every thing and found I'd packed over 60 POUNDS on my poor little bike. Never did that again and never will I hope get even close. Remember the boxes are all much further back than a passenger would be and the center of that weight is higher as well. I have a Pelican 1600 for a topbox along with a couple of 1520s as sideboxes.
I don't think I ever "over loaded" my KLR. I was worried one time when I loaded my top box up with about 1000 rounds of ammunition but it handled it just fine. I did on occasion ride with my wife on the back. Together we weigh about 380lbs (for my safety I won't specify how thats divided up between us). I felt that was about as much as the KLR could safely handle with me piloting. The V does it much easier.
post #18 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-26-2012, 05:42 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Went to an electrical supply dealer two days ago to buy two 150 metre (496') spools of 14-2 electrical wire, and attached them to my 'ktmduals' rack. Pretty heavy (any electricians that know??? ), but handled OK even w/ that weight BEHIND where a passenger would sit.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #19 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 04:10 PM

I believe the issue is too much weight on the sub-frame. I agree it's less of an issue if it's a solo rider bike. Wife's bike came with the Kaw factory (givi) bags with the factory motec/Kaw racks. I put the givi top rack on it also, although they say it won't work. I just put everything together very loose and then tightened it all. Getting the givi top plate on was a pain and involved clamps and spreaders. It looks and works fine. I'll post a pic when I find my camera. Oh yeah, it's an 09.
post #20 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-29-2012, 12:35 PM

On an 08 the motech side and top brackets fit together fine but share a mount point. My girlfriend has my old Versys now and I can see it being a problem if we rode together with 3 bags on but we each have our own bikes and all the heavy gear goes on my Tiger 800 while she just runs a top box and it works out really well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode