Commuting and one piece suits. Who uses them? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Commuting and one piece suits. Who uses them?

I changed jobs and have added a bit of time and distance to my commute. I'm now at almost an hour each way, which is about 20 min more than what I was doing. It's mostly 2 lane and speeds range from 45 to 65 mph. I did commute some at my other job and have a good pair of Firstgear pants, and a Teton jacket. I also have a mesh jacket for the hotter temps. I am happy with my current gear, but am thinking about trying a 1 piece suit for a few reasons.
First, it seems that they are a bit quicker on/off, which would be very nice.
Second, I do get a bit of a draft from the bottom of my jacket, despite the draft skirt and ability to zip it together with my pants.*
Third, I think a one piece packs up a bit smaller than my pants and jacket. I had a private office before where I could just spread my stuff out, hang it on the back of the door, etc. Now, I won't have quite as much storage space.

Any input on any of my thoughts? Do you think a one piece would be better for me, or would I be happier spending the money elsewhere?*

Part of my is wanting to buy a set of hard luggage to take my shoes, lunch, etc. in and then store my gear locked in the hard bags on the bike while I work, that way I don't have to worry about storage space. I'd also use them on tours, etc. The other part of my says to save the money right now, as my tailbag usually will carry what I need and a backpack would add more commuting storage if I needed it.*
Opinions? Commuting tips?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 10:45 PM

Garage
I'm currently looking at getting the Olympia Stealth for summer and Phantom for winter.
I like the one piece option and have read good reviews of Olympia.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 11:14 PM

If I did not already have a sizable investment in decent gear and had to do it over again I would probably get a one piece for spring and fall riding - something like the Phantom, Teiz or Road Crafter and a leather mesh combo jacket and kevlar jeans or liners for hot weather.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 07:08 AM

I wear brown duck Carhart in the cold with an oversize riding coat over that. It keeps me warm and i have gone down with it twice. I was well protected.

David
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 01:12 AM

I wear a Teiz Lombard 3 for a lot of my commuting/touring/sunday rides. Love that suit. It's nice and broken in for me and keeps me quite comfortable from cold to hot. Some days, I still wear my carhartts under the suit because I like getting away with wearing them and Sidi boots around the office. LOL.

Testcase
aka
Chuck of the Wheelnerds

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: A couple of nerds and their motorcycles podcast
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 03:38 PM

Leave a pair of shoes at the office, that way you don't have to drag them there and back every day.

Are you not able to hang your gear in a coat rack area, or your work area, or some barely used corner? Just bring a sturdy coat hanger for your jacket and pants, it is nice to hang them out so they can dry or air out, in stead of packed in a hard case or a locker.

There is not much time gain in having a one-piece suit IMHO, you gain perhaps the time it takes to put on a separate jacket.
I like being able to mix and match my waterproof (sorta) winter jacket and pants with my summer mesh pants, and I like being able to easily take my jacket off at stops when touring, but keeping my riding pants on.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 05:47 PM

I leave a set of just about everything hanging at work, ride in with a backpack full of tomorrows clothes in a waterproof backpack, swap out clothes in a bathroom stall and go to work. Bring the Nelson Riggs detachable soft bags if I need groceries or beer. Always have a clean, hung set of clothes, nothing other than a 3 lb backpack to transport. Keep a set of rain gear for home and office, can always bring a set back in the backpack.

'89 yz 80
'96 cr 80
'99 kx 125
'09 Versys
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 07:45 PM Thread Starter

There is a break room at work with a coat rack, but it's out of my way and open to anyone who happens to wander by. Not the most secure location, but probably better than leaving things locked on the bike. As stated, things will at least air out that way. I did usually leave a pair of shoes at work and that's likely what I'll do at this job. I had it good at my last one with a private office and a sturdy coat hook on the back of the door. I guess I'll have to adapt! I'm leaning away from the one piece suit. I don't think it's that much faster to warrant spending the cash, and a two piece is more flexible I think. Keep the thoughts coming though guys, it is helpful!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 09:03 PM

One piece is warmer.

David
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

One piece is warmer, but I'm thinking about a heated jacket liner instead. I know it would slow me down a bit, with plugging it in and managing cords, but that would up the warm factor above the one piece I think. Plus I'd use it on other rides as well. I think I'd only use the one piece to commute. I'm still on the fence and mulling it over. Hopefully I've got a while before the weather turns cold enough to worry about it!
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 10:22 AM

OK I'll say it.
Roadcrafter, by Aerostich. Maybe that new Roadcrafter Light.
Everything else is just making-do.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Testcase View Post
I wear a Teiz Lombard 3 for a lot of my commuting/touring/sunday rides. Love that suit. It's nice and broken in for me and keeps me quite comfortable from cold to hot. Some days, I still wear my carhartts under the suit because I like getting away with wearing them and Sidi boots around the office. LOL.
Just went to the Teiz website. I had never heard of them before. Very impressed! The Commuter in hi-viz must be my next gear purchase.

"Nothing bugs a handyman more than a stripper that works too slow" ~ Red Green

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MntVersys View Post
Just went to the Teiz website. I had never heard of them before. Very impressed! The Commuter in hi-viz must be my next gear purchase.
Lots of user feed back on Tiez on www.advrider.com.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode