Laydown #1. (0mph) - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 09:31 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Laydown #1. (0mph)

Ugh. Rookie mistake.

It was dark. My 10yo daughter wanted to go for a bike ride. Who am I to say no?

Pull up to a stop sign and went to put my right foot down... nothing but air. Apparently the pavement slopped away from me and I didn't notice it till too late. Tried will all my strength to right the bike but knew I had reached the point of no return. My daughter was a real trooper and kept her calm as we slowly lowered the bike to the ground with both our strength.

Managed to pull my groin muscle pretty good in the process.

Bike shut itself off once in the horizontal position.

I attempted to lift the bike up and my daughter jumped in and gave me a hand (she as big as her mom and 16yo sister thank God). The two of us got her up and stood there and stared at each other a moment. I'm pretty freaked out thinking I had damaged the bike, but most grateful that my daughter is fine. She looks at me and says "yeah... let's not do that again." We both laugh.

I inspected the bike the best I could in the dark. Got her restarted and rode slowly home the two miles we had left. Got the V in the garage turned on all the lights and couldn't find a bit of damage anywhere.

That was all the easy stuff. Can't wait till the wife gets home to fill her in (sarcasm).

Now let's try and not have a Laydown #2.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

May the road always curve in front of you.

Last edited by Zatx; 08-10-2012 at 09:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 09:40 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Easy to do. Monday night coming from a meeting with our accountant. Leaving thier parking lot it was a downward slop to the street i went to put my foot down same thing its just waving in the wind. Let off the front brake the bike rolled down a couple of feet then my foot hit the street propping the bike up.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 09:47 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Ugh. Fortunately those are the "incidents" that do little if any damage to body or bike but bruise the ego pretty badly. Glad neither of you were hurt and the bike is OK.

But it does happen. I was number one at a T intersection during a small group ride a while back. I moved forward a bit to get a better view to the right and the guy behind me thought I was going to turn left so he accelerated and ran into the back of me. Slow motion fall-over to the left with me wondering all the while what the devil had just happened.

No damage at all but we agreed that, from then on, he could be number one at stops and I'd be directly behind him. Amazing how alert he became after that.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 03:16 AM

The easiest way to lift is with your back to the bike. Lots of demos on YouTube but here's one

I have had a few goes
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Easy to do. Monday night coming from a meeting with our accountant. Leaving thier parking lot it was a downward slop to the street i went to put my foot down same thing its just waving in the wind. Let off the front brake the bike rolled down a couple of feet then my foot hit the street propping the bike up.
That's the voice of experience and a calm mind speaking.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Begbiie View Post
The easiest way to lift is with your back to the bike. Lots of demos on YouTube but here's one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sP3c...eature=related

I have had a few goes
If laydown on the right side, double check to ensure that the kick stand is down when lifting so that it doesn't fall over on the other side
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 05:04 PM

double check yout right foot peg...

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode