Kawasaki should really put a stock rear hugger on this thing - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 54Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-04-2017, 11:01 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to NightRider
Kawasaki should really put a stock rear hugger on this thing

I'm looking at other Kawasaki bikes and they all have rear huggers, only Versys doesn't. How dumb is that? I mean, they're marketing the bike as both on and off road, right?
So why not put a rear hugger and let people take it off if they want to do off-roading. Wouldn't that be a logical way of thinking? They must know most people won't even come near a dirt road with this bike. It kinda reminds me of the gear indicator... how long will it take them to figure this out? It's not like putting it on will cause a massive dent in your production costs, it's just a piece of plastic.
16VGTIDave likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-05-2017, 07:01 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
They are marketing the bike as off road where you live?

It is not in the Dual Purpose category on the US Kawasaki website.

I would not consider the Versys any more of an off road bike than any other street bike made.

There are aftermarket huggers if you desire one for your bike.
twowheels and crosshairs like this.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-05-2017, 08:41 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
This little hugger should keep your Versys snug and dry...Lol.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 16856748 (1).jpg (19.6 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg imageService.jpg (47.6 KB, 25 views)

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.

Last edited by hawkerjet; 11-05-2017 at 10:25 AM.

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-05-2017, 12:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
The 1000 has a hugger....but you cheaped out and bought a 650...
onewizard, weljo2001 and Lurch71 like this.

2016 green V1K
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-05-2017, 12:53 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Givi has a nice one
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170319_first ride.jpg (97.2 KB, 94 views)

Versys 2015 Green
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-05-2017, 03:14 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
They are marketing the bike as off road where you live?

It is not in the Dual Purpose category on the US Kawasaki website.

I would not consider the Versys any more of an off road bike than any other street bike made.

There are aftermarket huggers if you desire one for your bike.
It's not strictly marketed as an off road bike, I never said that. It's not listed as Dual Purpose anywhere. But as an Adventure Tourer, that obviously includes off road and that's why the bike has such high ground clearance (and no rear hugger apparently). I know there are aftermarket rear huggers but bikes are not so popular where I live so it's going to be a hassle getting one. Not to mention probably way overpriced. Not that I have a choice anyway, I'm just saying I don't like the fact there isn't a stock one. That's all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosshairs View Post
The 1000 has a hugger....but you cheaped out and bought a 650...
I didn't cheap out, it's my first big motorcycle and I wasn't going to get a 1000cc because it would be a bad idea. Simple as that. Even if it had gold plated gas tank.
The only one who cheaped out here is Kawasaki for not putting a rear hugger on the 650.
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-05-2017, 04:31 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
MK-1 On

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightRider View Post
It's not strictly marketed as an off road bike, I never said that. It's not listed as Dual Purpose anywhere. But as an Adventure Tourer, that obviously includes off road and that's why the bike has such high ground clearance (and no rear hugger apparently). I know there are aftermarket rear huggers but bikes are not so popular where I live so it's going to be a hassle getting one. Not to mention probably way overpriced. Not that I have a choice anyway, I'm just saying I don't like the fact there isn't a stock one. That's all.

I didn't cheap out, it's my first big motorcycle and I wasn't going to get a 1000cc because it would be a bad idea. Simple as that. Even if it had gold plated gas tank.
The only one who cheaped out here is Kawasaki for not putting a rear hugger on the 650.
First we are all kidding, I own a 2015, and had a 07, my Skidmarx hugger went from my 07 to the 2015, best investment I ever made.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...light=skidmarx
crosshairs likes this.
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-05-2017, 06:20 PM

Garage
Quote:

The Versys is not an Adventure Tourer. It is a Faux Adventure Tourer because there is no category today for what the Versys is. It is a street bike that kinda looks like an Adventure Tourer.

I can put TKC-80s on a Harley and call it an Adventure Tourer. The Versys with the low exhaust is not intended to go anywhere a real Adventure Tourer can go.

I wouldn't even attempt this on my KLX250S

This guy is doing single track in the woods.

My Versys Travels:

post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-05-2017, 07:51 PM

Garage
They don't put the fender hugger on it for the same reason they don't put an accessory outlet, gear indicator, center stand, etc...., because if they included everything that everyone wanted, the cost of the bike would be $13,000+.
Smiley and 407guy like this.

I don't care what you ride, just ride.
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-06-2017, 06:59 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
The Versys is not an Adventure Tourer. It is a Faux Adventure Tourer because there is no category today for what the Versys is. It is a street bike that kinda looks like an Adventure Tourer.
What does low exhaust have to do with it? It's missing a muffler, that's all. It's the ground clearance that matters for off-road.
Or do I have that completely backwards where exhaust matters and clearance does not? Please correct me if that's the case.
And since we're sharing videos here's one that speaks a different story:

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
First we are all kidding, I own a 2015, and had a 07, my Skidmarx hugger went from my 07 to the 2015, best investment I ever made.
I believe you, everything gets dirty pretty fast underneath and the hugger is a must.
I'll look around for one and honestly the cheapest one will do, I don't require anything fancy. Just something to keep the dirt away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by james75 View Post
They don't put the fender hugger on it for the same reason they don't put an accessory outlet, gear indicator, center stand, etc...., because if they included everything that everyone wanted, the cost of the bike would be $13,000+.
I agree with everything you said except the hugger. It's just a piece of plastic mate and the cheapest plastic hugger would've been good enough for my taste.
I'm a minimalist kind of person and as long as it provides the basic of function, I'm a happy camper. Oh and btw, they DO put a gear indicator on it.
16VGTIDave likes this.

Last edited by NightRider; 11-06-2017 at 07:09 AM.
post #11 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-06-2017, 08:10 AM

Garage
@NightRider thanks for that video, it was a great way to start a Monday!

I too wish my V650 had a hugger of some sort. The spray kicked up by the rear tire makes a significant mess that I'd prefer to reduce. I realize there are a number of huggers available for the V650, but I find their prices to be excessive for what they are. For another bike, I bought a plastic trailer fender, trimmed it to fit then attached it to the swingarm. Most people thought it was a factory piece, so I guess I did a decent job. I plan on making some measurements and seeing if I can find a suitable fender for my V.

Speaking of building things, I noticed in the video that he had a GPS mount/bar above the gauges, behind the windshield, on his V. Does any one have any info on this? I've been pondering building something similar and could use some inspiration.

Thanks,
Dave
quexpress and NightRider like this.

2011 V650 in Black, well accessorized.
post #12 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-06-2017, 08:20 AM

That guy has some serious bike handling skills.
post #13 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-06-2017, 11:25 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crosshairs View Post
...but you cheaped out and bought a 650...
I'm on my THIRD (ALSO on my FIRST as well...!) Versys 650, and that comment REALLY hurts....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #14 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-06-2017, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
I'm on my THIRD (ALSO on my FIRST as well...!) Versys 650, and that comment REALLY hurts....
Yea my V-650 is the most fun street bike I have owned. I giggle every time I ride it. Plus it is super easy to work on and cheap to operate.

You liter bike guys don't know what you are missing.

Speaking of inexpensive huggers check this one out.

Buffalo_Bob likes this.

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.
post #15 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-06-2017, 01:58 PM

Garage
Quote:

its all in good fun...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkerjet View Post
You liter bike guys don't know what you are missing.
We know what you're missing....2 cylinders...
hawkerjet likes this.

2016 green V1K
post #16 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-06-2017, 01:59 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
I'm sure talking like that on the 650 forum is against the rules. See if you can find a nice punishment for him, being a moderator and all.
crosshairs likes this.
post #17 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-06-2017, 05:22 PM

Garage
Quote:
What does low exhaust have to do with it? It's missing a muffler, that's all. It's the ground clearance that matters for off-road.
The muffler is under the bike. It is the part that will take a hit if you bounce off of anything or try to clear a log. If you bike stalls while crossing a stream you flood the muffler.

My Versys Travels:

post #18 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-06-2017, 05:58 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
The muffler is under the bike. It is the part that will take a hit if you bounce off of anything or try to clear a log. If you bike stalls while crossing a stream you flood the muffler.
From what I understand about Versys, it has no muffler because the breadbox does all the muffling as well so Kawasaki decided not to put one in order to centralize mass. Apparently what we see is just a little bit of pipe with some styling on it. Is that incorrect?
post #19 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-06-2017, 06:10 PM

Garage
Quote:
Clearing a log? On a Versys? That is not likely to be attempted unless you are very desperate or rather stupid. Or you have modified your Versys extensively, in which case you probably know what you are doing and this discussion about a close fitting rear fender is irrelevant to you.

As for flooding the muffler, forgive my confusion, but what is the problem with that? As long as the water level is below the exhaust ports, none will enter the engine. Since the engine is a wonderful air pump, won't it push the water back out as soon as it is re-started?

Dave

2011 V650 in Black, well accessorized.
post #20 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-07-2017, 06:10 AM

Garage
Quote:
From what I understand about Versys, it has no muffler because the breadbox does all the muffling as well so Kawasaki decided not to put one in order to centralize mass. Apparently what we see is just a little bit of pipe with some styling on it. Is that incorrect?
That "breadbox" under the bike is the Muffler. If the bike had no muffler it would be loud!!

My Versys Travels:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode