• 1 Post By Doug Just Doug

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-31-2017, 07:59 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Wink Wash it

Hey guys!

just another controversial post here

What do you use to keep your bike clean? I would also like to know how to keep the black color on the plastics parts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-31-2017, 08:16 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Wash, clean? You do that?
I did wash my V last spring but I don't remember what I used... oh yes, liquid hand soap and a power washer. Washing a bike is ok, but then the annoying task of lubing the chain, cleaning rim etc.
I'd rather have a dirty well-maintained bike than a polished bike with dubious maintenance. Having both options takes too much time away from riding, plus dried bugs act like Loctite and keep parts from falling off.
onewizard and SteveJ like this.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-31-2017, 08:24 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I use car wash detergent, the same as I use on my car. You could use dish detergent, too. Dish detergent strips off wax, so I don't use it on my car. If you wax your bike, use a car wash product.

My bike gets washed only a few times each year, usually after a ride on dirt or after a dirty rain.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-31-2017, 09:52 AM

Knocking off the bugs by riding in the rain is as clean as mine ever gets. I'll wash it if I decide to sell it.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-31-2017, 10:54 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I use Lemon Pledge to keep the bike "reasonably" clean. Wash once a year of so with auto products. The Pledge works well on windshield as well as bike plastics.
turn8a likes this.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-31-2017, 11:09 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I just use a damp rag to wipe mine down. Haven't washed it since i bought it. To clean the rims i use Goop Hand Cleaner (non-pumice) a rag then rinse with the water hose. I use Plexus on the windscreen.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-31-2017, 11:24 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
some spray on clean and wax spray i got at the gas station one day for the versys and shadow, the others get rode in the rain or hosed when they get to dusty

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-31-2017, 12:22 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowIsSmooth View Post
Knocking off the bugs by riding in the rain is as clean as mine ever gets. I'll wash it if I decide to sell it.
x2 LOL

'09 Versys
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-31-2017, 01:32 PM

I used to actually wash my bikes, then I discovered Honda Spray Cleaner, Plexus, and other similar spray 'n' wipe products, which I now use on everything but the grungiest crap, usually chain lube, grease or road salt, where I'll use WD-40. I never once took a water hose to my 2003 Kaw. ZR-7S, which I had for 13 years/65,000 miles, and it looked almost new when I sold it -- below is a pic when it had at least 60K miles on her. I've only had the Versys for about a year and a half, but it likewise hasn't been near a hose. I ride all year, but no off-road other than a few miles a year of gravel/hard-packed dirt. I'm also a sufferer of CBS (Clean Bike Syndrome); please give generously.

2015 Versys 650 ABS
AMA, MSTA, Retreads

Nat'l Cycle "Sport-Touring" screen; Givi hand guards; BMW Sport Grips; Omni-Cruise throttle lock; Motowerk mirror extenders, side stand foot & highway pegs; Denali Mini Soundbomb horn; SW-Motech top rack, Quick-Lock Evo side racks, wide foot pegs & GPS shelf; Givi E-22 side cases & V-47 top case; RKA 13L Shiloh Road tank bag; Hyper-Lites; Sargent seat; Shoodaben ECU reflash; decalectomy.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-31-2017, 02:19 PM

When I would take my Harley to the dealership for repairs, they would always wash it when repairs were complete. I would return to get my bike and it would be beautiful. Looked as though they spent a lot of time detailing it. Once I went to pick it up they had completed the repairs and were about to clean it. I walked out back and watched them clean it. They sprayed it with a liquid in a spray bottle, let it sit for a couple of minutes, sprayed it off with a water hose, and dried it with a leaf blower. It looked as if they had waxed it and polished the chrome. It was clean and shiny even in the nooks and cranies. This is what they sprayed on it. https://www.amazon.com/S100-12500S-T...6TR6PFQ1MFYQ2S

Last edited by Skypilot 69; 10-31-2017 at 02:22 PM.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-31-2017, 05:10 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel3403 View Post
...What do you use to keep your bike clean? I would also like to know how to keep the black color on the plastics parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
I use Lemon Pledge to keep the bike "reasonably" clean. Wash once a year of so with auto products. The Pledge works well on windshield as well as bike plastics.
I use car-wash detergent along w/ a wash-mitt, or brush, depending on WHERE on the bike. All that along w/ a pressure-washer (VERY carefully around the axles, etc) to rinse, and when I (OCCASIONALLY) wax it, I use "NO-NAME" 'lemon pledge', which WILL RESTORE all your black to 'as-new', and is also GREAT for keeping your face-shield clean and NOT scratched.

Duffy likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-31-2017, 05:20 PM

Fill a bucket with warm water and use a microfiber cloth to wipe bike down. Use a dry microfiber to dry it. I have occasionally waxed the gas tank. Other than that, if you wipe it down once a week, it should stay clean.

60% of the time, it works every time
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-06-2017, 05:45 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Just Doug View Post
...then I discovered Honda Spray Cleaner, ...
That's all I've used on my bikes for the last 3 years since I found it. Works for pretty much everything. After I spray and wipe down the plastics, I use the saturated cloth to clean off some of the hoses and engine cases and such so I'm not spraying it into places I can't wipe it out from.

EDIT: The stuff I have is called "Honda Pro Cleaner/Polish".
Turk and Doug Just Doug like this.

Past Bikes: FZ8, CB500X, Boulevard M50, Gladius, CBR250R, Blur SS220i
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-07-2017, 06:39 AM

Quality wash wax for wet cleaning
FW waterless clean shine for in between cleaning
S100 on engine rims
For the black plastic
Meguiar's G15812 Ultimate Black Plastic Restorer - 12 oz. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0055PD1H4..._HGAaAbMHF79JJ

I like the KLR chain lube goes on clear the carrier dries quickly, does not fling off or collect dirt on chain sprocket or wheel
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-07-2017, 08:01 AM

[QUOTE=Soulbreeze;1469889
EDIT: The stuff I have is called "Honda Pro Cleaner/Polish".[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it's gone thru a few iterations over the years due to changing EPA regulations, but has remained basically the same stuff. I buy it by the case, which lasts for years. BTW, "Original Bike Spirits Spray Cleaner and Polish" and "Next Generation Spray Polish" are 99% the same stuff, made by the same company, and are usually much cheaper. Years ago I researched this stuff when I was publishing a moto-blog.
Soulbreeze likes this.

2015 Versys 650 ABS
AMA, MSTA, Retreads

Nat'l Cycle "Sport-Touring" screen; Givi hand guards; BMW Sport Grips; Omni-Cruise throttle lock; Motowerk mirror extenders, side stand foot & highway pegs; Denali Mini Soundbomb horn; SW-Motech top rack, Quick-Lock Evo side racks, wide foot pegs & GPS shelf; Givi E-22 side cases & V-47 top case; RKA 13L Shiloh Road tank bag; Hyper-Lites; Sargent seat; Shoodaben ECU reflash; decalectomy.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-10-2017, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulbreeze View Post
That's all I've used on my bikes for the last 3 years since I found it. Works for pretty much everything. After I spray and wipe down the plastics, I use the saturated cloth to clean off some of the hoses and engine cases and such so I'm not spraying it into places I can't wipe it out from.

EDIT: The stuff I have is called "Honda Pro Cleaner/Polish".
Same here. The only water my 2012 Ninja has seen is when I get caught in the rain. It has 23,000 miles on it and looks great.

Havenít cleaned the Versys yet but it needs it before itís winterís nap.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode