Love Hate Relationship - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 41Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-30-2017, 06:15 PM Thread Starter

Love Hate Relationship

The old saying certainly applies. "Different strokes for different folks"

Or if you want to employ the Evil Knievel world view: "The farmer prays for rain, the golfer prays for sunshine...even God cannot please everyone.

Even our little Versys cannot please everyone...but it sure comes damn close.

Been following the recent "New Owner hates this bike!" thread. My heart goes out to this guy. Nuthin worse than buyers remorse. Been there done that got many T-shirts.

So I got to ride my buddy's brand new (411 miles) FZ10 today. Wow what a machine. That cross plane motor is a beast. When you get into the meat of the power band you better hang on and be ready for the front wheel head for the moon. The chassis and suspension is excellent right out of the box. I would probably own one if I were 10 years younger with a healthy back.

All of that to say this. I absolutely love my little V-650. Riding the hot rod FZ10 brought back many memories of my previous bikes. A ride that is on par with a skate board over bumpy road. Seat like a concrete park bench. Lots of forward lean to grab the bars. All of this being young man stuff.

When I jumped back on my little can do Versys my good buying decision was reinforced again and again. All the way home I kept on saying to myself. "Man I love this bike" "It is the perfect bike for me."

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-30-2017, 07:12 PM

I wholeheartedly agree with @hawkerjet; I came across from a ZX14R, and on the whole this 'side grade' was a good choice for me.

Terror is fun, but I prefer something that is appropriate to local terrain, speed limits, and whether or not I wanna watch the countryside blur past while nervously watching for cops, for simply just enjoying the more-or-less legal speeds I'm traveling at.

Hate to see somebody hate-my-new-bike; I wish dealers had some sort of try to buy fleet that the owner to be could live with for a week before making a $7-10K commitment that may turn to ashes in their mouth in the first 600 miles...

Last edited by aboyandhisversys; 11-10-2017 at 12:21 PM.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-30-2017, 07:37 PM

Garage
This is exactly why I have the Versys for daily commuting, and a Street Triple R for the weekends!

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-30-2017, 08:46 PM

hawkerjet says;

I agree. I also say "different strokes for same folk"
As one gets older their wants and needs in motorcycles changes. I recently sold my Triumph Daytona 675, which I loved. Reason? I believe the old saying "Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly". At 66 my guardian angel doesn't fly as fast as it use to. Although my Versys 650 does have good punch, my guardian angel can keep up (I hope). I have found the Versys to be an excellent bike for me (except for the seat). As stated it has punch, handles very well, carves curves and corners, and has a fun factor that keeps a smile on my face. As much as I like my Versys , I guess some folks prefer something else. For those folks I say I hope you find the bike that suits you, and lets you enjoy the riding experience. I don't care what you ride, you are a biker, and you need the bike that makes you happy.
Vegasdan, tonyw and hawkerjet like this.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-30-2017, 09:10 PM Thread Starter

[QUOTE=Skypilot 69;1466553]hawkerjet says;

"Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly"

I love it...lol. Actually I have read accounts of folks who died and went to heaven and returned, say that we have 2 angles assigned to us. I can hear mine say as I grab the key to my bike..."Ah crap he's going out on the bike again. We just can't catch a break with this guy."

Since I have an 18 year old hooligan trapped inside this 64 year old carcus I still like to ride fast.

"I have found the Versys to be an excellent bike for me (except for the seat)"

The seat is much better than many other bikes I have owned. I recently removed the front part of the cover and ground out some foam where my butt sits. It made a big difference in comfort. It takes longer before butt burn sets in.

Cookin Wid Gas

post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-30-2017, 10:38 PM

I rode my roommates hyabusa a couple times before she wrecked it, er, it was wrecked out from under her I guess.

All I could.say at the end was "can I have my bike back now?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

2011 Versys, Red - "My Little Fighter Jet."
2014 Ford Focus - "Casper The Friendly Ghost."
1998 Suzuki Bandit 600 - "Never ending project"
1995 Honda TRX-300EX - "You'll probably kill yourself one day."
Canadair CRJ-200 - "Barbie Fun Jet" or "Canadian Reset Jet" or "Skidoo" or "Canadian Space Shuttle" or "Climb Restricted Jet."
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-31-2017, 12:10 AM

Garage
Totally agree skypilot69.
I rode my 2017 Versys for 500klms on the weekend.
the longest ride I have done on the bike.

About 7-8 hours including lots of stops.

But strewth when I got home I could hardly walk.
Every part of me seemed to be aching.

Near the end of the ride I was only doing about 15 mins before I would stop.
It was hurting that much.
Great bike....but that seat...

Why is it that manufactures can't get the seat right?..they do most things really well these days.But not the seat.....
quexpress likes this.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-31-2017, 12:40 AM

Garage
A couple of weeks back I went on a 8hr group ride with a break for lunch and breaks for gas and coffee. Most of it was on the narrow, twisty, rural back roads through southwestern Quebec with bad pavement. Bad pavement is the norm here on secondary roads with a cold winter that heaves and freezes roads. A third of us were on cruisers, a third on adv. bikes and a third on sport and naked sport bikes. All the guys on sportier bikes and cruisers had problems with the bumpy roads and bad pavement. The guys on the sportier bikes were complaining about comfort a few hours in and could not ride fast on the less than perfectly smooth roads without bottoming out. The guys on the cruisers could not keep up on the twisty roads. IMO a road/sport focused adv. bike like the Versys is the type of bike best suited and most rewarding to ride in the local conditions. I'd like something with slightly more power and refinement in my next bike but 160HP from something like a sport tuned liter bike engine is pointless on public roads IMO and I don't want to be burdened by a 600lb luxury touring behemoth either. I rarely venture onto dirt or gravel roads as they are rare so I would rather have sporty pavement performance than off pavement capability. Something like the Ducati Multistrada 950 seems about perfect for me right now except there are no cheap ones on the used market

My main point being the evolvement of the sport touring adv. bike style which the Versys pioneered and encapsulates, is perfectly suited for the riding most of us do. Rural B road blasts, occasional jaunts of an hour or two on the expressway, lots of city commuting and occasional light touring duties. I'm not saying the Versys 650 is the best bike of this particular category but it arguably offers the most bang for the buck in the sport tour style adv. bike category.

Last edited by twowheels; 10-31-2017 at 01:06 AM.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-31-2017, 04:26 AM

Garage
yep totally agree with you on the Versys....but the seat is still crap....
Morgan2112 and jruffner like this.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-31-2017, 07:33 AM

It's been that way for a long time (uncomfy OEM seats), hence the longevity of aftermarket seat companies like Corbin, Sargent, and all others. I think the problem is two-fold. One, I think many OEMs simply don't care about butt comfort. Two, it's called a "showroom seat", meaning that it looks good in the showroom, so it'll sell the bike. That's what they're after in the first place, right?

I hear that the Russell Day Long Seat is comfy, but can you imagine how many people couldn't bring themselves to buy a bike with a similar "looking" seat-- if it came in OEM design? I've personally learned to get past looks, for the gain of utility (thanks KLR community). Some people never get past aesthetics. The OEMs have to build what sells. If they get lucky and build a comfy seat, great! If not, they still score in selling a bike; and often the aftermarket seat sellers will capture a win too!

For close to 13 years, I've resorted to buying an aftermarket seat for most all of my bikes. I've accepted that it's the new norm for riding more comfortably. I also realized that it's more of a "rental" process, as I buy the seat used and then later resell it...netting little $$ loss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyw View Post
Totally agree skypilot69.
I rode my 2017 Versys for 500klms on the weekend.
the longest ride I have done on the bike.

About 7-8 hours including lots of stops.

But strewth when I got home I could hardly walk.
Every part of me seemed to be aching.

Near the end of the ride I was only doing about 15 mins before I would stop.
It was hurting that much.
Great bike....but that seat...

Why is it that manufactures can't get the seat right?..they do most things really well these days.But not the seat.....
hawkerjet likes this.
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-31-2017, 07:38 AM

I couldn't agree more! After ~50 bikes and ~30 years of street riding, the Versys simply works! Comfy, great handling, good usable power, reliable, and economical-- it's a great little package. Of all the bikes I've owned, it's definitely a top 3 bike!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkerjet View Post

Or if you want to employ the Evil Knievel world view: "The farmer prays for rain, the golfer prays for sunshine...even God cannot please everyone.

Even our little Versys cannot please everyone...but it sure comes damn close.

Been following the recent "New Owner hates this bike!" thread. My heart goes out to this guy. Nuthin worse than buyers remorse. Been there done that got many T-shirts.

So I got to ride my buddy's brand new (411 miles) FZ10 today. Wow what a machine. That cross plane motor is a beast. When you get into the meat of the power band you better hang on and be ready for the front wheel head for the moon. The chassis and suspension is excellent right out of the box. I would probably own one if I were 10 years younger with a healthy back.

All of that to say this. I absolutely love my little V-650. Riding the hot rod FZ10 brought back many memories of my previous bikes. A ride that is on par with a skate board over bumpy road. Seat like a concrete park bench. Lots of forward lean to grab the bars. All of this being young man stuff.

When I jumped back on my little can do Versys my good buying decision was reinforced again and again. All the way home I kept on saying to myself. "Man I love this bike" "It is the perfect bike for me."
hawkerjet likes this.
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-31-2017, 09:41 AM Thread Starter

Twowheels sums it up quite well:

"My main point being the evolvement of the sport touring adv. bike style which the Versys pioneered and encapsulates, is perfectly suited for the riding most of us do. Rural B road blasts, occasional jaunts of an hour or two on the expressway, lots of city commuting and occasional light touring duties. I'm not saying the Versys 650 is the best bike of this particular category but it arguably offers the most bang for the buck in the sport tour style adv. bike category."

Speaking of seats I have had great success with Seth Laam Custom Seats in Redding Ca. I will probably have him do his magic on my Versys seat in the near future. Here are pics of the 3 seats he has done for me. The result was fantastic. He uses your stock seat pan and builds it up with foam of different densities strategically located to help evenly distribute the load to eliminate those pesky pressure points that cause the burn and discomfort. Turns a butt burner into an all day rocket.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2015-06-04 13.00.08.jpg (57.7 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg 2015-06-04 13.00.25.jpg (55.5 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg PICT0603.jpg (75.7 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg PICT0608.jpg (64.8 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg PICT0611.jpg (79.0 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2406.jpg (74.0 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2409.jpg (82.0 KB, 66 views)

Cookin Wid Gas

post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-31-2017, 09:49 AM

To my mind, the V650 LT is the perfect bike for a solo public road rider.
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-31-2017, 11:24 AM

Garage
I guess I am a little different than the norm of motorcycle riders. I never cared about horsepower, top speed, acceleration numbers to brag about. I do like handling though.

I enjoy the curves, but acceleration and speeding between the curves doesn't do anything for me.

I'm more about exploring. Finding new roads and sights. Cruising along at 5 to 10 over the speed limit at most.

Having enough power to pass a logging truck, or that car that crawls through the curves and speeds on the straights.

For me the rider triangle is most important.
David T, gyzmo, quexpress and 4 others like this.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-31-2017, 05:27 PM
Super Moderator

When I joined this forum back in '08, then got a new '08 a few months later - I posted that the V IS the best handling bike I had ever ridden!

NINE years and 144,000 miles later (spread over THREE Vs, the '08, an '09 which "died", replaced by a '15 in Canada) - I will say it AGAIN: the Versys 650s I've owned are the BEST-HANDLING bikes I've ever ridden!

- -

AND w/ the front raised 9/16", the seats are ALL-DAY comfortable!

gyzmo, Turk, Vegasdan and 2 others like this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-31-2017, 06:22 PM

Quote:

"My main point being the evolvement of the sport touring adv. bike style which the Versys pioneered and encapsulates, is perfectly suited for the riding most of us do. Rural B road blasts, occasional jaunts of an hour or two on the expressway, lots of city commuting and occasional light touring duties. I'm not saying the Versys 650 is the best bike of this particular category but it arguably offers the most bang for the buck in the sport tour style adv. bike category."

Speaking of seats I have had great success with Seth Laam Custom Seats in Redding Ca. I will probably have him do his magic on my Versys seat in the near future. Here are pics of the 3 seats he has done for me. The result was fantastic. He uses your stock seat pan and builds it up with foam of different densities strategically located to help evenly distribute the load to eliminate those pesky pressure points that cause the burn and discomfort. Turns a butt burner into an all day rocket.
These seats look great. About how much does he charge?
post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-31-2017, 10:57 PM Thread Starter

I think the Versys seat would be about $400 in vinyl and add $100 for leather.

All mine were done in vinyl and held up just fine.
Buffalo_Bob likes this.

Cookin Wid Gas

post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-01-2017, 12:14 AM

Garage
I had the OEM Gel seat and it has been great for all day rides.

You have to get 'saddle fit'. Before a long multi-day ride I make a point of doing several long days a training beforehand.

Although I have had Miss Jaffa (Burnt Orange 2007 Versys) for a while, I still have a lot to learn.

"The happiest people donít have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything."
post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-01-2017, 06:47 AM

Garage
Quote:

I wanted more options with my seating so I had Terry Adcox build me a custom seat. It allowed me to slide forward with knees down for the tight twisty stuff, and then slide back for comfort while droning across western states.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Versys 007.jpg (148.0 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg Versys 006.jpg (163.0 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg Versys 005.jpg (113.3 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg Versys 003.jpg (156.3 KB, 46 views)

My Versys Travels:

post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-01-2017, 09:22 AM Thread Starter

That looks very similar to what Seth does on his seats.

Wide at the hips and dished out in the center.

Looks comfy.

Cookin Wid Gas

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode