Thinking of parting with my Versys... - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 10:05 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thinking of parting with my Versys...

What do ya think? I love my 2008 V in the twisties, but getting the itch for something with more legs. I'm all pavement. I'd sometimes like more power and something a bit better for 2up and good on highway but could really eat the milesng. Kind of have my eyes on a 2008 FJR. Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 10:24 PM

Big, fat, heavy, expensive, not as comfortable, not as fast, slow handling. I'm also considering an upgrade. I test rode a connie and I liked it more than the fjr. However, after test riding a couple of tourers I believe I will go the adventure tourer way. Test rode a tiger explorer a super tenere and a 1200 gs. In sold on the performance of the explorer and debating on the virtues and value of the tenere. I'm waiting for the season end manufacturer deals to make a decision. Who knows, maybe kawa decides to bring the V1K to the US.

After testing all bikes that were two to three times more expensive. I couldn't help noticed how good is the versys.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Motorcycle.com Free App

Last edited by Boricua; 08-07-2012 at 10:28 PM.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 10:33 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Ninja 1000 got a few more legs.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 10:41 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input. I am torn on whether I want to give up my V.... since im not going to go offroad,i haven't really considered the big adventure bikes. The newer bikes, like tenere are definately out of my price range.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 10:43 PM
MTS

Bigger bike is a bigger bike. Sounds dumb but it takes away part of the fun factor. Just the way it is.

Two up, hick yes, go big! Really big!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 10:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi 41 View Post
Ninja 1000 got a few more legs.
How would that bike be for touring , wind protection
And 2 up? Not sure on insurance either...
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 11:21 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by smedv View Post
How would that bike be for touring , wind protection
And 2 up? Not sure on insurance either...
Not sure about your insurance costs, the bike is classed as a sports tourer and is a lot of fun in twisties but I need a airhawk for my butt on that bike, the screen has 3 settings and is adjusted by a lever, I am 5 '8 and find if I have screen on highest setting it is more noisy around helmet but less wind around neck/chest, i usually have it on lowest setting unless it is really cold or raining.

I do not do a lot of 2 ups but at 138 Hp it has more enough power and from memory only has about 16-18 degree forward lean angle for my height so is okay for long distance apart from the seat.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 11:57 PM

Bigger version of the versys is the KTM 990 SMT. Awesome bike. Price is probably a factor though if the newer adv. tourers are out.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 08:01 AM

x

Last edited by AzItLies; 10-23-2012 at 01:38 PM.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 09:31 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzItLies View Post
The Kawa website indicates the Ninja 1000 ABS curb weight is 509lbs, and the wheelbase is 56.9 inches.

That's quite diff than the FJR, weighing 650 lbs and wheelbase of almost 62 inches.

[COLOR="black"]I traded an 08 FJR in for my 2011 V. Can tell you the fjr is a lot of bike when moving it around. But it is of course a great touring bike. Has plenty of beef for pillion, camping gear etc etc.[/COLOR]

The Ninja you'd have to buy side bags, but not the Fjr. Also, check some diff Insurance companies, they don't all classify bikes the same. I'd think the Ninja could be quite a bit more with some of them.
Looks like you traded the bike I'm looking at. I know it heavier etc... but how was the fjr in the twisties compared to the V? Am I giving up way too much fun factor for the comforts of the bigger bike?
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 09:51 AM

Sprint GT?

Jon
'09 Versys in Blue
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 10:30 AM

Smedy,

There is a lot of daylight between a Versys and the big sport tourers (>1.2 liters).
You might try something in the 800cc range. The smaller adventure tourers (800cc or so) could work for you. I rode a Versys for 4+ years and loved it. Then I wanted a bit more (having come from big sport tourers (BMW K1200GT, Triumph Trophy 1200). I am now riding a Triumph Tiger 800. A sweet motor with nice power. Not as tossible as the Versys, but still light and fun. The BMW F800GS is another option. -- Hank
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 10:32 AM

I've done a considerable amount of long-distance touring on a BMW R100RT and a BMW R1100RT. Both bikes were fantastic for covering miles with comfort while still allowing for a bit of spirited performance. I did, however, feel somewhat restricted by either bike's unsuitability for exploring places that were only accessible by dirt and gravel country roads.

After quite a bit of research I bought a used, low mileage '09 Versys and set it up with the typical equipment that is seen on this forum for ADV touring. Last year, I took it on a 6,733 mile journey from South Carolina to New Mexico, up through the Rockies to Montana, across South Dakota, and back home to Charleston.

Overall, the V exceeded my expectations for a mid-weight motorcycle. I was able to get into areas that I would normally have avoided on the much larger BMWs. While the V performed flawlessly...I was not pleased with the punishment I received from windy conditions across NM, TX, and SD. I also would never consider the V for two-up touring.

Regardless of our affection for the Versys, it must be remembered that it is a mid-weight motorcycle and (while it has its own merits) it can never replicate the attributes of sport touring or large ADV machines.

2009 GREEN Versys
2006 Yellow Pearl H-D VRSCR Street Rod
2010 Scarlet Red H-D FXDF Fat Bob

Fear is just excitement in need of an attitude adjustment.

Last edited by CharlestonADV; 08-08-2012 at 10:36 AM.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 10:37 AM

x

Last edited by AzItLies; 10-23-2012 at 01:38 PM.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 10:38 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Heres a good deal not too far from you...http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/mcy/3185428945.html

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boricua View Post
Big, fat, heavy, expensive, not as comfortable, not as fast, slow handling. I'm also considering an upgrade. I test rode a connie and I liked it more than the fjr. However, after test riding a couple of tourers I believe I will go the adventure tourer way. Test rode a tiger explorer a super tenere and a 1200 gs. In sold on the performance of the explorer and debating on the virtues and value of the tenere. I'm waiting for the season end manufacturer deals to make a decision. Who knows, maybe kawa decides to bring the V1K to the US.

After testing all bikes that were two to three times more expensive. I couldn't help noticed how good is the versys.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Motorcycle.com Free App
Versys 1000 will be available in the the US as 2013 model.
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 11:47 AM Thread Starter

Hmmmm....that Triumph does look very nice. Ergos would be closer to the V and I imagine its lighter than the ST's I've been eyeing. I Wonder how it does in touring mode and 2 up?

I have to admit I don't know much about Triumph as I've always had Jap and KTM. Don' t know about quality, service etc... Don't think there is a Triumph shop near me but that may not matter.

Guess i need to do some research and soul searching.
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smedv View Post
Thanks for the input. I am torn on whether I want to give up my V.... since im not going to go offroad,i haven't really considered the big adventure bikes. The newer bikes, like tenere are definately out of my price range.
A well equiped Super Tenere is about the same price as the FJR. However is a new model so there is not much discounting or many used models out there.

The big adventure tourers with the exception of the KTM 990 are not purposely built off road bikes. They are large touring bikes that can go off road if needed. By off road I believe manufacturers mean dirt roads and dual tracks. Nothing to gnarly since I do not believe anyone will purposely ride a 575 plus pound bike in a single track trail. One spill and you will need two more buddies to get the bike upright again.

I checked the Tiger 800 and the 1050. Although more powerful than the Versys they do not offer much more comfort for two up than the Versys. I checked the Suzuki GSX 1250 FA. I believe that is the new nomenclature for the Bandit. Very nice ergos, more power and room than the Versys at a very nice price. It was a very tempting option until I decided against a sport tourer. I saw one with GIVI V35 as EOM bags under $12K new at a local dealership. It lasted like a week on the floor. I think it was some kind of promo from zuki.

Anyway. Think about very well and go a test ride a couple of bikes. My experience so far is that you have to pay a lot more to top the Versys. The Versys is a really good bike.

P.S. The Versys 1000 is not available in the US. If it was I would probably be riding one.
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprocket View Post
Versys 1000 will be available in the the US as 2013 model.
Where did you get that? Dealers are not talking, at least not to me. Kawa did not include it in the initial 2013 new models press release.
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzItLies View Post
The Kawa website indicates the Ninja 1000 ABS curb weight is 509lbs, and the wheelbase is 56.9 inches.

That's quite diff than the FJR, weighing 650 lbs and wheelbase of almost 62 inches.

I traded an 08 FJR in for my 2011 V. Can tell you the fjr is a lot of bike when moving it around. But it is of course a great touring bike. Has plenty of beef for pillion, camping gear etc etc.

The Ninja you'd have to buy side bags, but not the Fjr. Also, check some diff Insurance companies, they don't all classify bikes the same. I'd think the Ninja could be quite a bit more with some of them.
I rode the Ninja 1000. It's a hoot to ride. I admit that its more fun than even the Versys. Almost as flickable, very comfortable (one up) and twice the power. If it was not for my two up requirement I might have jump into one. The givi hard luggage set is about $1200.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode