Totaled Versys (Dam Deer!) - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 05:38 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Totaled Versys (Dam Deer!) *warning* Graphic Pictures included

Graphic pics are at the end of this post, beware!

Although I never really posted on these forums, I feel I now have a good story to tell!

I bought the my 2011 Versys from Pismocycleguy (forum member) in late December of 2011 after seeing the bike (fell in love)at the Long Beach motorcycle show.

My girlfriend and I had been planning to go to the MotoGP races up in Laguna Seca last weekend. We had planned to camp on the motorcycle for the first time, as well as some friends that were coming with us, we were even meeting a fellow Versys forum member to share a few beers up on Fox Hill.

Story goes: After prepping the bike all day Thursday, we headed out from Huntington Beach about 12:30am. We left so early because my girlfriend has never been up to the Monterey area, and I wanted to have her see the sun rise on PCH up in that area, so about 5:30am. We were making great pace and hit San Luis Obispo by about 4:30am. From there we got a coffee, took a short break and were back on the road. We hit a small town named Cambria once on PCH and I was going about 70 or so MPH and saw a deer. Scared the **** out of me, so I decided we needed to slow down. Now travelling about 50mph and about 5 miles outside of Cambria we hit and kill a coyote. It ran from the left side straight into my left foot/footpeg. We got a little speed wobble as I got on the binders pretty hard to slow down, but made it through fine. We turned around and I scored a picture of the kill. This incident really got the nerve in me, but there was no place to stop for gas, coffee, a hotel, nothing. We continued to drive on, but now I wasn't going over 50 at all. I was taking it as slow as I felt nessescary but clearly we just shoudln't have been on the road at 5:00am. About 15-16 miles above Cambria the biggest dear I have seen in my life decided she was Ray Nitschke and ran once again from the left directly into the front of the bike. We made impact and were on the ground almost instantly. I apparently decided the best way to fall was on my left knee (pictures) and then rolled around a bit. My girlfriend used her nice butt to her advantage, sliding on it and ruining the pockets of her pants (otherwise fine). After the accident I had the full adreneline pumping and knew that #1 we needed to clear the road as we were in a small lul and oncoming traffic may not see us, and #2 we needed to call 911 because I saw my knee bone. We cleared the rode by rolling, pulled our phones out and sure enough, no service at all (Thanks Verizon). My girlfriend was pretty shook up, having never been in a motorcycle accident before, and from the sounds of her moaning I thought she was worse off than I was. I got her to calm down, then came the waiting game. From San Luis Obispo to this point we had seen maybe 4 cars, so I was very worried that we would be there a while as I bled out. Sure enough we waited about 20 minutes and a motorcycle came from the distance and stopped to help us out. He was a pretty cool guy and offered to call 911 for us. After we used the phone he stuck around for a little and left, as he too was heading to Monterey for the races. EMS took about 40 minutes to show up, we couldn't give them a cross street because it's dam PCH and we can't tell where we were. EMS arrived, carted me off, gave me some morphene as the adreneline was now fading away. The ambulence ride was about an hour long, but had surgery almost instantly once I arrived at the hospital.

I factured my patella (kneecap) into 7 pieces, 1 piece being the top half of my kneecap, the other 6 being the bottom half. I also ripped the patellar tendon (I think it is the tendon/ligament that doctors hit with that triage dode to get your reflexes). The Ortho said my tibia had taken 2mm of yellow line out of the road and he had to scrape that out. The rest of my body was ship shape. Both my girlfriend and I were wearing full face helmets, brand new Tourmaster jackets, gloves, but dumb me wearing just plain levi's.

Progressive was notified and told me the bike would probably be totalled, although when I looked at the bike all I saw was the shifter broken. They inspected it and said I bent the forks and frame and decided to give me a pretty penny for the bike.

Long story short, if I ever do ride again, it won't be at 5am on PCH without some sweet pants. I loved my Versys as I am sure most of you all do, but stay safe out there. Plan your trips out and take your time, you don't want to be in a brace for 6 weeks with no leg movement followed by a year of physical therapy. Also "___________ or bust" signs on the back of your bike during a trip may result in a "bust".

I'll try to get a picture or two of the bike before and after, Progressive hasn't sent me after pictures yet, and my girlfriend has the before's.

Coyote hit

Bike before

Bike after coming soon
Before Surgery

After

Our beautiful crash site. We could hear the waves crashing and watched the sun come up.

Last edited by Disruptive; 08-07-2012 at 04:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 07:28 AM

Garage
Oww and Eww. That knee! Sorry to hear your story, but thanks for sharing. Good luck in your recovery.

Always trust your cape.
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 07:47 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Heck mate that gotta hurt, Your photo of the knee is why I always wear bike pants with knee armour. A friend of mine crashed twice with me on same day and landed on his right knee, first time at a slower speed but 2nd time at around 50 mph but he was happy he took up my advice to wear armour when he started riding 6 months ago, he was shaken up, limped a bit and needed some physio but he still managed to go for his restricted bike test a few days later.

All the best with your recovery.

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 08:06 AM

+1 on Kiwis Comment ..I use a set of Knox slip on Knee Pads under my Draggin' jeans. Glad you are both recovering OK.
I wonder if you should put a warning on the top of your post lol I wasn't quite ready for the graphic damage your knee experienced.
I guess the shock value is good for those who don't subscribe to ATGATT.
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 08:08 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Wow. Is that shiny white part a section of your patella or the top of your tibia after the yellow road paint was removed?
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 08:11 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Yep sambamboo, good shock value on the photo. When in Malaysia last year riding in 35 C plus still used my vented pants with knee armour that I use in NZ minus the thermal/waterproof liner of course.
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 08:29 AM

I cringe every time I see the shorts, t-shirts, & sandals on a bike
I've often been asked if it wasn't too much work & too hot to wear the gear and I usually ask back if they've ever seen the result of a get off
Good luck & good medication with the healing, that looks like an injury that's gonna hurt for a long time.
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 10:01 AM

Wow! That's quite an injury. I can see why you were worried about bleeding out.

Btw, that other motorcyclist was NOT cool. I can't believe he left you before the ambulance arrived. Not cool at all.

Good luck with your recovery. I hope it heals well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'11 Versys
'06 DR650
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 10:17 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Ouch......Damn that looks bad. PCH got me also but it was a BMW instead of a deer that ran into me. 2 fractures at the knee.mine hurt like hell but you got me beat by a long shot. Take it easy and heal quick.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 10:32 AM

Garage
Ouch again -but where are the coyote photos?

Did the dear survive?

Recover fast.

(PS about to take off for a week tour of WA and it will be ATGATT all the way for me).

Although I have had Miss Jaffa (Burnt Orange 2007 Versys) for a while, I still have a lot to learn.

"The happiest people donít have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything."
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

I am waiting for my girlfriend to wake up, she has the coyote pictures on her phone. And the deer died, I didn't see it after the accident, but the fire department showed up and found it in the bushes to the right of the accident, I didn't get to keep it.
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 11:47 AM

Wow, best of luck to you in your recovery. Fractured patella is a tough one. Hang in there and do all the PT stuff they tell you to.

Someday is not a day of the week.
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 02:20 PM

Thanks for sharing your story, it is a good reminder of what can and does happen. The pitures are sobering.

Sorry for your accident and a speedy recovery to you and your girlfreind.
post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 03:23 PM

I feel your pain. In 1983 I hit an oak tree with my knee and shattered my kneecap. The pieces were removed and I have operated without a left kneecap for almost 30 years. It was the most painful experience of my life!

That was when I decided that jeans were not appropriate riding apparel.

5 weeks after the accident I purchased a replacement motorcycle and rode it about 50 miles home. It was hard to bend my knee for long periods; it was a BMW airhead, so I just stretched out my leg and rested it on the cylinder from time to time.

I rode regularly from then on, but full recovery took some time. I went on to learn to play tennis and played regularly for many years; not so much now.

I tell you this to let you know that full recovery is plenty do-able and riding again can certainly be in your future!

Good luck!

Michael
Attached Images
File Type: jpg motorcycle history (045).jpg (74.9 KB, 173 views)
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 03:36 PM

Wish you a quick recovery both physical and psychologicaly so you can get riding again.

One more example why we should wear ATGATT. No matter where were we go, how short the trip, or how hot it is we should always wear full gear. I always wear armored pants, jacket, ff helmet, over the ankle boots, hearing protection, and armored gloves. So does my passenger.

Although sometimes it is inevitable, whenever possible, I avoid riding at dawn or dusk when the light conditions are less than optimal and the critters are more likely to be out. Where I ride I not only have to watch to coyotes and deer. There are elk and moose and are you are guaranteed to lose any encounter with them. They have the habit to show up in the most unlikely places. Earlier in the summer I almost drive (thank God I was not riding) into two elk in Chaco Canyon. What the heck were two elk doing in the middle of the northern New Mexico desert? I have not idea but I almost hit them.

Thanks for sharing and get well soon.
post #16 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 04:17 PM

What's the prognosis on your knee?
That's about as bad as you can bust it.
There are some incredible new procedures with ligament reconstructions. Do some research, maybe it can help. Only trouble is those things cost too much in the US.
Also, don't give up on recovery in any case. They probably told you that it's going to be long and difficult so pace yourself.

Best of luck,
Cheers.
post #17 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 04:59 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigaussie View Post
Ouch again -but where are the coyote photos?

Did the dear survive?

Recover fast.

(PS about to take off for a week tour of WA and it will be ATGATT all the way for me).
The "dear" survived, but the "deer" didn't... which serves it right!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #18 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan V View Post
What's the prognosis on your knee?
That's about as bad as you can bust it.
There are some incredible new procedures with ligament reconstructions. Do some research, maybe it can help. Only trouble is those things cost too much in the US.
Also, don't give up on recovery in any case. They probably told you that it's going to be long and difficult so pace yourself.

Best of luck,
Cheers.
Those things cost a lot of money everywhere!
post #19 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 05:48 PM

Sorry for your pain. I wish you a quick and complete recovery. This is a prime example for my argument for wearing a helment at the very least. I've had a cat bounce off my front tire, a bird hit me, and several deer cross close while riding. You can have the best riding skills, but what about those things you can't plan for?
post #20 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 05:51 PM

I do not want to be insensitive but I can't resist.

It seems that the spirit of the coyote got even on this one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode