Contemplating a change.. - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 10:43 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Contemplating a change..

So.. I'm sure this is going to draw a little ire here, but I thought I'd get y'alls input on something. I've had my V for about 2.5 years and have enjoyed every minute of it. Recently though I've been contemplating trading in for something else. The main reasons for doing so are.. being a big guy (long torso 6'3'' 250lbs) the bike is a tad on the small side. The seating position is great, but there have been a few times I've been left wanting for a bit more power and perhaps a bit more wind protection. Right now my brain is torn between two worlds.. do I go more street/sport with something like the Ninja 1000, or more adventure like the Tiger 800. At first, I had my heart set on the Triumph street triple, but alas it was a bit too small for me. The dealer was out of stock on the Tiger so I'll have to wait to sit on it. The Ninja felt fairly comfortable. A little more cramped than the V, but pretty comparable to how I felt on the V before I added the peg lowering kit. Anyways.. some advice from the populace here would be helpful. Especially if anyone out there has had the opportunity to test ride or has a practical comparison of any of these bikes to the V.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 10:53 AM

x

Last edited by AzItLies; 10-23-2012 at 02:41 PM.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

agreed

Either way offroad capability isn't really much of a priority for me. I'm looking at the Tiger more from the standpoint that it will have everything I like about the V but with a little more power and a few extra gizmos. Plus I love the way it looks in that stripped down mad max kind of way.

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 11:22 AM

If you liked the Street Triple, why not check out the Speed?

Jon
'09 Versys in Blue
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

same issue as the street triple.. a little too cramped for my beefy frame
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 11:36 AM

The Tiger 800 is one of the few other bikes I would consider other than the Versys. The Versys is a great bike and I have got it set up now to suit me perfectly but I really like the look and feel of the Tiger.
The only thing I think about is the cost of parts and maintenance of the European bikes.

2013 Versys1000
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 11:43 AM

If you are considering the Ninja 1000, then you should look at the Suzuki 1250 sport tour bike. I comparison tests, it comes out better if your looking for a balance of sportyness, comfort, wind protection and longdistance ability. Both have Japanesse reliability.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trialsguy View Post
If you are considering the Ninja 1000, then you should look at the Suzuki 1250 sport tour bike. I comparison tests, it comes out better if your looking for a balance of sportyness, comfort, wind protection and longdistance ability. Both have Japanesse reliability.
Good chooses, or think about the Honda ST1300 or Kawasaki Concourse, both of these are also sporty and bigger plus they sound good with after market mufflers.

Sold 2005 honda vtx 1300 bought an '09 versys
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 01:14 PM

You might find that a large ADV bike such as a BMW R1200GS will fit you better (and be much more comfortable) than any of the current crop of sport bikes

2009 GREEN Versys
2006 Yellow Pearl H-D VRSCR Street Rod
2010 Scarlet Red H-D FXDF Fat Bob

Fear is just excitement in need of an attitude adjustment.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 01:17 PM

I've been testing checking several bikes recently. Size is not an issue for me since I'm vertically challenged. I'm looking for a more powerfull and roomy bike for two up long range touring. This is what I found so far:

Ninja 1000. The riding ergos are a lot like the V except for a more aggresive forward lean stance. Fun factor is though the roof. However, it does not fit what I'm looking for. There's not enough room in the back for my pillion for long distance tours. I really like this bike.

Concourse 14. Super roomy, ridiculous amount of power. Problem would be keeping my license. You can get one heavily discounted therefore for the type of bike it is it is a bargain. However, I do not want the road surface to be a limitation in where I go so sport tourers are out.

Suzuki GSX1250FA: I got my leg over one. Although I did not hava a chance to ride one it felt very, very comfortable. Under $12k it is a very tempting option. However, sport tourers are out.

Yamaha Super Tenere: Two weeks ago I test rode one . That is a wonderful adv tourer. Very similar to a BMW R1200GS (I rode that one last Sat too). Extremely comfortable. Good power and handling for a machine that size. Under $15K it is the value leader in the adventure touring segment (In the US at least) It is a very big bike though and it is missing some of the fun factor the Versys have. However, it does everything I want and based on the test I did it can do it extremely well. Right now it is in my short list.

BMW R1200GS. It is the most comfortable bike I have ever riden. However, the rest of the experience was a disappointment. The engine design is 30 years old and it shows. I do not see how anyone would pay the money for it. The gizmos are great but it boils down to the ride and the GS although and outstanding ride does not do well enough against the Yamaha to justify the premium price.

Triumph Explorer: I rode on last last back to back against the GS. This bike was a revelation to me. It is the best bike I have ever riden. It is comfortable, powerful, comfortable. handling is superb for a bike on this size and class. I am totally sold on this bike. Two things keept me from signing in the bottom line and ride one out of the dealer. Price, we are talking $17K to $18K out of the door vs. $15K for the Yamaha and dealer network. The price issue is about convincing my wife that it is worth the extra money. The dealer network is a different thing. I do not want to be stuck with a broken something and have to wait days for a part or have to tow the them thing hundreds of miles to get to a certified shop. I like to tour off the beaten path and the idea of been stuck in the boonies with no service available really scares me.

I checked the ergos on a Tiger 1050. That is a very tempting option if the big adv tourer does not work out. It is a good upgrade performance wise. However, I do not see it as much of an upgrade in the comfort area. You might want to look into it too. The Tiger 800 XC is out. Not what I'm looking for. Too dirt oriented. Maybe the standard Tiger 800. However, I do not see much of a difference in the ergos from the V to consider it.

Hope this helps
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 03:11 PM

Same boat

I'm currently looking also. If they brought the Versys 1000 to the states I'd be very happy! The setup would be perfect for my 6'2" 255. Add my wife into the mix, it's asking alot of my versys although it never complained once. It's greater than the sum of it's parts.
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 03:33 PM

One thing I noticed after I test rode the Super Tenere, The Tiger explorer and the R1200 GS is how good the Versys is. The least expensive of the three bikes I tested is about twice as much expensive as the Versys new. Still the Versys is a very satifying ride. The Versys still feels quick, nimble, comfortable, and extremely usable. The only thing I came out and adjust right after the last test ride was the breaks. It is the only thing I could complaint about. I quick change in the lever adjustment made the trick for now. If I decide to keep the Versys a little longer I might do something to upgrade the breaks.

Anyone interested in bying a fully loaded 2008? I might be listening to offers :-)
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 01:41 AM

I'm not changing bikes but I did add another to my stable last week. I'm keeping the Versys, I love the way it handles. I picked up the redesigned 2012 V-Strom 650 Adventure. The upgrades & the 0% financing sold me. I plan on fully dressing it out for long distance travel. I like that there is tons of aftermarket support & farkles available for the WeeStrom. I wish the Versys was more popular so that more farkles & support were available.

KJ

2013 Suzuki V-Strom
2013 Honda CRF 250L
2012 Suzuki V-Strom 650-ADV
2011 Kawasaki Versys
2008 Yamaha TW200
2009 Kawasaki Vulcan
1979 Suzuki GS425 (long gone)
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 04:24 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
It's actually a Kawasaki Concours™ 14 ABS, and not a Concourse.

I forgot the Versys 1000 is not available in USA, as it is here... Triumph's new Tiger Explorer 1200 really is pretty interesting.

post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 11:57 AM

Motorcyclist just did a comparo with the Explorer, Super-Ten, Stelvio, and Multi-strada. The criteria was best road bike that's not helpless off the pavement. The Multi was the unanimous choice, but they weren't voting with their dollars; you'd have to make your case a little more persuasively to swing that one. And the pillion was not consulted.
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 12:20 PM

I've been lusting after the Multi since they redesigned it. A friend sold his 1200GS to get one and has been regretting it, preferred the GS though I cannot remember his reasons. Was out riding with him last weekend and he was lusting after the Versys
post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 07:57 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Concours 14, Triumph Trophy GT, Triumph Tiger Adventure

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 09:31 PM

I sat myself on a Triumph Tiger Explorer today. THE most comfortable bike I've ever sat on!! Didn't get to ride her though. Lots of bike mags saying how awesome it is!
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 05:32 AM

I recently put pen to paper and set out to find the best value-to-features in the "adv" department of the big bikes. I showed the results to some friends and some have checked the Stelvio out further:

When it first came out I thought it was buttugly. Some recent tweaks and this fab' orange color and it has gotten my attention. Should be comfortable for you size.

"Nothing bugs a handyman more than a stripper that works too slow" ~ Red Green

post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 06:51 AM

I've rode the Ninja 1000 several times at demo rides and loved it. I recently rode the V Strom Adventure, ZX 14, Bandit 1250, Busa and a few others. The Ninja was the winner for me. It feels like a 600 and was really comfortable for me but I'm only 5'9". The handling and power were great. My dealer still has one from last year and I may end up with one yet. Just can't swing it financially right now. My son recently purchased a 2005 Bandit 1200 with 3k miles on it for about a third of what a Ninja 1000 cost. I had an 01 Bandit. If you want to go used they are a great buy. .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode