• 2 Post By hawkerjet
  • 2 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 1 Post By hawkerjet
  • 2 Post By onewizard
  • 1 Post By hawkerjet

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-24-2017, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

Seat Tune Up

I have had the pleasure of going with custom aftermarket seats on several bikes. Man does this make a big difference in comfort.

Seth Laam up in Redding California does a great job on just about any style of bike. He has done seats on 3 of my bikes and the outcome has been fantastic.

Unfortunately I can not afford to shell out $450 dollars on a seat right now so I did a cheap fix on my stock seat.

The problem with many seats is the factory shapes the foam to have a ridge or high spot right in the center of the seat and of course that is right where your tail bone sits. The trick for a comfortable seat is to distribute the load over a broader area. Adjusting a good portion of your weight off of your tail bone and onto your hips and legs. The way to do this is to dish out the foam.

So I pulled out staples and pulled back the seat cover to the rear of the lower part of the seat. Then used my angle grinder with a soft disk and gently sculpted out the center foam back where my butt sits. I created a dished out area that extended from the rear forward to about mid seat. I removed the most material right where my tail bone hits. Probably around one half an inch then tapered off to blend with the stock surface. The widest part near the rear is about 9 and a half inches. Then stretched and stapled the cover back on.

Just got back from 130 miles up in the Sierra's. I must say the increase in comfort is significant. I can ride much longer before butt burn sets in. Also I now feel like I am sitting in the bike instead of on top of it.

Took around an hour and a half to complete the project and it was time well spent.

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-24-2017, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkerjet View Post
I have had the pleasure of going with custom aftermarket seats on several bikes. Man does this make a big difference in comfort.

Seth Laam up in Redding California does a great job on just about any style of bike. He has done seats on 3 of my bikes and the outcome has been fantastic.

Unfortunately I can not afford to shell out $450 dollars on a seat right now so I did a cheap fix on my stock seat.

The problem with many seats is the factory shapes the foam to have a ridge or high spot right in the center of the seat and of course that is right where your tail bone sits. The trick for a comfortable seat is to distribute the load over a broader area. Adjusting a good portion of your weight off of your tail bone and onto your hips and legs. The way to do this is to dish out the foam.

So I pulled out staples and pulled back the seat cover to the rear of the lower part of the seat. Then used my angle grinder with a soft disk and gently sculpted out the center foam back where my butt sits. I created a dished out area that extended from the rear forward to about mid seat. I removed the most material right where my tail bone hits. Probably around one half an inch then tapered off to blend with the stock surface. The widest part near the rear is about 9 and a half inches. Then stretched and stapled the cover back on.

Just got back from 130 miles up in the Sierra's. I must say the increase in comfort is significant. I can ride much longer before butt burn sets in. Also I now feel like I am sitting in the bike instead of on top of it.

Took around an hour and a half to complete the project and it was time well spent.
Your description is pretty good, but... did you take any pictures?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-24-2017, 08:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo_Bob View Post
Your description is pretty good, but... did you take any pictures?
I knew I would get called out on it...Lol.

Nuts I should have taken some photogs.

Man ya can't take me anywhere.

Time to call ur union rep!

Cookin Wid Gas

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 11:48 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkerjet View Post
...Time to call ur union rep!
Union Rep. here: - hawkerjet - you're on 'graveyard' shift for the forseeable future till you get your "act" together...!

onewizard and hawkerjet like this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 04:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Union Rep. here: - hawkerjet - you're on 'graveyard' shift for the forseeable future till you get your "act" together...!

Oh no the dreaded "Graveyard shift"

Guess it's time to unite all West Coast Versys riders.

So how much will I have to pay in dues aka "protection money?"
onewizard likes this.

Cookin Wid Gas

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 08:35 PM
Super Moderator

Seat Mod & Photos

I am happy to report my longest single day ride, 920 KM, started at 9:15 AM and ended at 11:30 PM, lots of wind buffeting until 2:30 PM 60 to 70 KM/HR cross winds hitting the Givi top case. Longest time was from Barry's Bay, left at 5:30 PM and arrived home 6 hours later and about 500 KM, so do the math average 100 KM/HR , roughly 5 hours in the saddle in the Dark, riding return , only stop was in Huntsville for fuel and a second stop to layer up about 2 hours from home. So the only thing I might change is the yellow etha foam in front of the pillion seat.I could have gone another 2 hours but was getting tired. Also I changed my one Denali D2 lens from wide angle back to spot, what a awesome difference, for those that know, I went through Algonquin Park in the dark, nice to see if mr moose is trying to cross, very few people on the road, the Denali lit up a good 300 yards of ditch , almost like daylight, for 10 watts it is very powerful , claimed 2000 lumen.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...21-post28.html
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...77-post29.html
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...30-post30.html
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...tions-diy.html
Lours_Polaire and MS. like this.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-30-2017, 09:38 AM Thread Starter

Seat update.

After putting about 2k miles on the modified seat, gotta say it's really comfortable.

Stock seat had me standing on the pegs a fair amount on a 150 to 200 mile ride.

Now I might stand on the pegs only once or twice all day and it's more my creaky knees than burning butt that inspires the standing.

Gotta love Okie Engineering.

Cookin Wid Gas

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-03-2017, 08:08 AM
MS.

I've been planning on doing something similar, as we all know the shortfalls of the stock seat. It's a yoke, mang. I ended up doing the quickest thing I could right before we left on a ride one morning, raised the front of the seat about one inch. Man, this is not the same bike at all now. I ride with Alaska Leather sheepskin also. We did an 8 hour ride yesterday and I never got tired of the seat/position. I know the seat could use a different shape, but just raising the front of it to keep you sitting in the correct position instead of sliding forward makes a yuge difference.
I've heard great things about Spencer's seat mod using Supracor.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-03-2017, 09:49 AM Thread Starter

Here are the seats that Seth Laam did for me. They were all fantastic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PICT0479.jpg (56.2 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg PICT0482.jpg (50.4 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg 2015-06-04 13.00.16.jpg (55.8 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1952.jpg (60.0 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg PICT0608.jpg (64.8 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg PICT0609.jpg (71.9 KB, 75 views)
onewizard likes this.

Cookin Wid Gas

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 01:59 PM
Super Moderator

When I joined the Forum back in '08, everyone was complaining about the seat UNTIL they raised the front of it for about $2. Requires a piece of scrap steel c/w TWO HOLES, two 6mm x 45 capscrews and 12 = 1/4" washers.

My FIRST V650 ['08] arrived in Sept '08, and I did the 'mod'. Got the SECOND V650 ['09] in Nov '10 and immediately modded the seat, then when the '09 was an insurance 'write-off' in July '15 I bought my THIRD V659 ['15 LT] then removed the mod from the '09, and put it onto the '15.

I have ridden the THREE V650s a TOTAL mileage EXCEEDING 165,000 miles, which includes MANY long trips, w/ MANY 12+ hour days and my butt is just FINE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEACHBUM View Post
...Thinking about trading in my 2012 for a new LT. Probably worth it for the abs alone, but PLEASE tell me the seat is better......
Read my post....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 01:04 PM

They all look really good hawkerjet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode