Taking off in an hour - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 06:04 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Taking off in an hour

I might need one of those US maps in my avatar with some states colored in. I'm in Central Wisconsin and in an hour my friend and I are leaving for the Black Hills on our bikes. My KLR was trailered out there last week and I'll be riding that with the guys we're going to meet up with. We're going to be doing 100-150 mile days off pavement once we get out there. Getting out there, however this time, will be done on 2 wheels instead of 4.

Now I'm really going to put that new Seat Concepts seat to the test. I strapped down a tent and bed roll to the back of the bike along with a gel propad so I have a sort of back rest. I haven't done a bike trip like this since I was in my 20's. I'm looking forward to this. The green V will do just fine, I think. I hope. See you guys later.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 07:09 AM

Roads just dried after last nights storms in central MN. Hope your trip goes well and if you find yourself in the St. Cloud area, watch for my green '09!

'89 yz 80
'96 cr 80
'99 kx 125
'09 Versys
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 07:23 AM Thread Starter

Green '09s are the best! Still waiting for my friend to show up. His wife is taking the truck full of stuff we don't need. He's got to repack it for her liking.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 10:47 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
and keep posted.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 12:40 PM

Have a fun safe trip
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 12:49 PM

x

Last edited by AzItLies; 10-23-2012 at 02:42 PM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 02:28 AM Thread Starter

Last Saturday we rode the 800 miles out there in one day. And tonight I just got home. We rode the whole thing back in one day. I rode the hell out of the pavement out there. The Bridgestone 023s are my new favorite tire for street. Passed lots of implements. More than I can count. Man, are they ever loud, annoying, and in the friggin way all the time! "look at me! look at me!" gets real old real fast.

We tore it up with the dual sports too. Yesterday we did a 207 mile day, 130 miles of which were off pavement. Got air a few times with the KLR. My friend lost his tail light lens off his KTM 690 and we were up by Spearfish so the closest KTM dealer was in Sturgis. We went rolling down the strip on our big dual sport bikes with knobby tires and parked right in the middle of the main drag. We were wearing all our off-road gear and we were filthy. I mean head-to-toe filth from chewing 130 miles of dusty trail. I took my gloves off and dust clouds came off me. The well-groomed Harley people looked at us with such horror and disgust. Screw them. They should try motorcycling some time. They might actually enjoy it.

Overall, a very good, fun trip that we all came back from in one piece. I want to try going back again first week in September next year so the tourist and moron traffic is really thinned out and we can just have the hills all to ourselves. Best pavement riding I've ever had the pleasure of doing. It just happened to be over-run with insecure princesses, trying to make noise and get in everybody's way for attention.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode