Earplug - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2017, 07:50 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Question Earplug

Hello!

As I cannot post on regular's section, would like to know how important is the earplug on rides? I drive every day 30 miles to workplace, and the wind noise actually does not bother me but have been reading some posts and people use it a lot.

PS: I have a Versys 650 08' with a big windshield on it.

Thanks for your answers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2017, 08:17 AM

Garage
The wind noise may not bother you now, but give it time. Noise damage to ears is accumulative and does not go away, ever.

Do your ears a favour and get hearing protection. I use 3M model 1100, but every person has a different shape ear canal. You may need to experiment to find your personal fit for comfort and decibel reduction. Once you are accustomed to plugs you will actually hear better than without them.

Good discussion here-

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ear-plugs.html
Lours_Polaire likes this.
Old 10-20-2017, 08:29 AM

Garage
I switched helmets to a Shoei Neotec which is hugely more quiet than the Kabuto Aeroblade I had previously. This helmet, as well as a good aftermarket windshield, has dropped the air noise done enough, in my opinion, to allow me to be without earplugs most of the time. But on long highway rides, I will plug up as well.

Rmpl

2016 Kawasaki Versys 1000 LT Goblin Green
2011 Suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS
2012 Toyota Tundra Rock Warrior V8 4x4

Old 10-20-2017, 08:56 AM

Daniel, here's my take on ear plugs. I've been riding since 1963 (yep, an old but somewhat wise geezer) and most of time was without ear plugs. Back in the day, it seems we weren't anywhere near as concerned about personal safety and long-term health as we are today.

I wear ear plugs while riding now even though it turns out to be rather too late to reap the benefits of protecting my hearing. I can assure of this - even custom-fitted ear plugs are much, much less expensive than multi-thousand dollar quality hearing devices. This I know. Twenty-twenty hindsight at work here, but I really don't want to lose any more of my hearing capability. Beyond possible hearing loss, the endless wind noise can be very tiring on longer rides and can result in loss of concentration whereupon bad things are more likely to happen.

By the way, I've just discovered there will soon be new hearing devices on the market. They will have three settings: On, Off, and Wife.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome

Last edited by Arion; 10-20-2017 at 09:01 AM.
Old 10-20-2017, 08:57 AM

Wear the ear plugs. Good idea.
Old 10-20-2017, 09:28 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for the advice guys! I will give it a try and see, I might buy the 3M.

They don't interfere with the noise that you actually need to hear? your engine and other cars?

Last edited by daniel3403; 10-20-2017 at 09:30 AM.
Old 10-20-2017, 09:39 AM

Garage
Any ride over just a couple miles and I wear earplugs. I've been wearing the foam ones for years, and just recently bought some of the silicone ones that have the filter in them so they cut the wind noise, but I can still hear road noises and engine better. Those things are no joke, they work amazingly well. Well worth the $20 I spent on Amazon for them. I'm 42 and already have hearing damage from other things, so I don't take any chances. You'll never regain lost hearing.

Link to the ones I have below, but there are many similar that are probably just as good.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I don't care what you ride, just ride.
Old 10-20-2017, 09:45 AM

I am a firm believer in ear plugs they will help save your hearing. I love my versys, but the wind noise is very loud. Also when I ride my harley, which has a large windshield causing very little wind noise, I've found that when I do all day rides across country, for some reason I don't feel nearly as tired at the end of the day if I wear ear plugs.
Old 10-20-2017, 09:49 AM Thread Starter

Garage
thanks for the link @james75 I'm going to try the foam first to see how I feel, I'm not used to having something in my ear
Old 10-20-2017, 09:50 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel3403 View Post
Thanks for the advice guys! I will give it a try and see, I might buy the 3M.

They don't interfere with the noise that you actually need to hear? your engine and other cars?
In my experience, I can hear my engine and surrounding cars better with the plugs than without them. High-frequency wind noise is the culprit- it is the primary sound that I hear with no plugs in. Also, as previously stated here, wind noise is very tiring.

I have a buddy who took up riding late in the game, 6 years ago. At first, he didn't wear hearing protection but he was curious as to why I always wear plugs. I explained the same things that we are discussing here, gave him some to try. His particular ear shape liked the re-useable rubber plugs on a string the best.

I have never seen him ride without them since that day. 'Nuff said?
Fastoman likes this.
Old 10-20-2017, 10:16 AM

I wear earplugs everytime I ride. I had found the regular foam plugs to be cumbersome and bothered me for a while, or they would pop out while riding. Anyways, I got me a pair of custom made plugs from www.bigearinc.com

I have 3 sets now:
1 On the versys
2. On the FJR
3. In my shooting range bag.

While getting them fitted, I asked the representative to shave down the external portion of the earplugs so that it is pretty much flush with my ear, I can't even tell I am wearing them with my helmet on. And I can still hear traffic noise through them.
Old 10-20-2017, 12:13 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel3403 View Post
...They don't interfere with the noise that you actually need to hear? your engine and other cars?
No, they don't.

FWIW - my two hearing aids co$t about $5,000Canadian. The ear-plugs I use while riding (made by Stanley - https://www.amazon.com/Stanley-Press.../dp/B002EVP5LM) only cost about 14 cents/ pair. You do the math....

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Old 10-20-2017, 01:30 PM Thread Starter

Garage
thanks @fasteddiecopeman ! i'm going to buy a spare and try them out.

Hey @Arion I'm thinking on getting the new one's with the Wife setting jajajajaj
Old 10-20-2017, 08:22 PM

How many folks wear earplugs when they drive their convertible with the top down? Just curious..............
Old 10-20-2017, 11:47 PM

There are a lot of factors, but unless you're riding either behind a large windscreen or on a naked bike with a really quiet helmet the noise levels will probably be damaging at highway speeds. Most helmets that aren't Shoei, Arai or Schuberth will not be quiet enough on their own.

The Versys stock windscreen is particularly bad for noise levels too. I find myself needing earplugs for any sustained riding above 70mph on mine, with a HJC helmet that is about average in noise level. On my Suzuki Bandit the screen was much better from a clean air standpoint and my old helmet was fairly quiet and earplugs weren't really needed most of the time (windy days or longer highway rides were still borderline).

Earplug wise, I just use the cheap foam ones, they do the job and I can get all the ones I could ever want for free from where I work (I work in a datacenter which is noisy enough in areas to need hearing protection, I use a noise cancelling headset for hearing protection at work, but will grab plugs out of the earplug dispensers for riding).

Last edited by mrvwbug; 10-20-2017 at 11:51 PM.
Old 10-21-2017, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
How many folks wear earplugs when they drive their convertible with the top down? Just curious..............
You're going to buy me a convertible? Wow, thanks!! I promise to wear ear plugs when I drive it.

Arion

Old 10-21-2017, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
No, they don't.

FWIW - my two hearing aids co$t about $5,000Canadian. The ear-plugs I use while riding (made by Stanley - https://www.amazon.com/Stanley-Press.../dp/B002EVP5LM) only cost about 14 cents/ pair. You do the math....
Ah yes, the figures speak eloquently. Mine were something like $5200 US and my ear plugs (from the audiologist) were about $20. Even I can see the difference in the figures!

Maybe if I had bought the ear plugs years ago I could have saved, or at least delayed, spending $5200. There's that pesky 20-20 hindsight at work again.

Reminds me of that old exchange between a sea captain and a passenger after the ship struck a rock. "Captain, didn't you see that rock? See it? Hit it didn't I!" Then again maybe it isn't the same at all. Ah well.

Arion

Old 10-21-2017, 08:18 AM

I recently bought some 23 dB noise reduction silicone earplugs on Amazon that are made for concerts, musicians and motorcycles, they have filters inside with tiny holes that let some sound in, they come in a nice aluminum case with 3 sizes included and work really well, very comfortable and helps a lot on a long hwy. ride especially when the wind is heavy.
https://www.thefitlifestore.com/prod...sleeping-black

2016 VERSYS 650 LT

Last edited by ZeroPoint; 10-21-2017 at 08:28 AM.
Old 10-21-2017, 08:33 AM

Garage
I find that with good plugs I am more comfortable and less tired after a longer ride.
I have some friends that think nothing of dropping $1200 for a set of aviation headphones to protect their ears but won't wear a simple plug when riding.

Constant noise adds stress even if we are unaware of it. Wear the things, save some money in the long run, and feel better during and after a ride. No brainer to me.

This comes after 25 years of riding without and constant tinnitus now.
Old 10-21-2017, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion View Post
You're going to buy me a convertible? Wow, thanks!! I promise to wear ear plugs when I drive it.

In the not to distant past (2012) I had a 1500 Vulcan Classic, a 1500 Vulcan Drifter, a 750 Shadow and a 91' Miata at the same time. On a nice day it was a toss-up as to what I took for a ride/drive. The wife finally put an end to all the fun..................
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in