To trade-in or not to Trade-in - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 10:40 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
To trade-in or not to Trade-in

So today I was out looking for rain gear, stopped by one of the BMW/Triumph dealers. Sitting out front, they have a '10 F650/800 (apparently for a couple of years, BMW was building bikes with 800cc engines but calling them 650's). The bike is a dark blue, 11,000 +/- miles, loaded, tires are 3/4 tread, trunk, panniers, driving lights, ready to roll. Dealer wants $9,600, said they might go $5,500 trade-in for the Versys. Wife and I are having some long talks on this.

Upside, bike is loaded, would only have to maintain it

Downside, not crazy about the panniers on it, would probably swap them out for HT style.
Also, I've got new tires, rear sprocker, and SS brake lines being installed this weekend, which would actually improve my resale/trade-in value, I've also got a bunch of other farkles on the way or in the garage waiting install, I guess I can return them.

'09 Candy Plasma Blue Versys 650 (the fastest color)
Givi DS 450 Windshield
SW motech engine guards
HT Teton Panniers
Acerbis handguards
Avon Distanzia tires
Garmin Zumo 665
dual power usb/12v plug
Givi trunk on custom mount

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 11:28 PM

No...the cost of the difference if you traded would be enough to maintain the versys for a lifetime if you dont trade.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-02-2012, 01:20 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
IMHO.

You are better off with the V.

anyway.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-02-2012, 05:41 AM

The capabilities of these two bikes are so similar I don't know why you would trade. Bit better fuel economy on the Bimmer, I suppose. For me, Japanese engineering wins out every time.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-02-2012, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colodak View Post
Also, I've got new tires, rear sprocker, and SS brake lines being installed this weekend, which would actually improve my resale/trade-in value, I've also got a bunch of other farkles on the way or in the garage waiting install, I guess I can return them.
Modifications aren't going to increase your trade-in value at all. Dealers just look at year of bike and model. True it might increase the price that they would charge a potential buyer, but it isn't going to increase cash in your pocket.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

May the road always curve in front of you.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-02-2012, 06:52 AM

Trading in reduces your hassle...ride in on one bike, ride out on the other. That will have some value for some people.

In jurisdictions where motor vehicle sales are subject to sales tax, a trade in also reduces the net value of the transaction so you pay less tax. That will have an easy-to-quantify value.

That said, you are likely to get more for a bike if you sell it outright than if you trade it in. How much, and whether the difference is worth the effort, is a question only you can answer.

Read some reviews of F-engined Beemers and one common thread you'll uncover is vibration. BMW engineered the 800cc twin to "feel" like a boxer twin and one result is a buzz that appears to annoy a great many moto journalists. Just saying, go ride the Beemer and see how you like it...that's what matters most.

FWIW, BMW has another 800cc bike with non-800 nomenclature, the F700GS.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-02-2012, 06:57 AM
Platinum Site Sponsor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Keep the V, add the 4000 extra into it and you will have an amazing ride!
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-02-2012, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt. Versuvius View Post
The capabilities of these two bikes are so similar I don't know why you would trade. Bit better fuel economy on the Bimmer, I suppose. For me, Japanese engineering wins out every time.
Bingo!..... my sentiments exactly. While they're both 800cc bikes, they call the other a 650 differenciate it because it is more of a street bike( aka, tubeless tires...no spokes....less capable suspension)....than the F800, which is basically a baby GS.
If you were going for the F800, I might reccomend it. But for the F650, Nah.
Good luck
PS--- Have you looked at the Triumph Tiger 800XC? That might be worth trading in for......
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-02-2012, 09:51 AM

Ask this question over at Parallel Universe on ADV Rider and you'll probably get some other opinions, but around here that's just crazy talk. While you're over there check out the "Tales of Woe", or "What just broke on my Beemer" threads. Scary stuff!
For me, I wouldn't even trade 'em straight across, not if I had to actually keep the thing. If I could sell it for say $8000, I'd buy a good used Versys and finance a nice trip.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-02-2012, 10:05 AM

I'd keep the V unless you're bored with it and not having fun on it. I like Beemers but the V does so many things so well. I daydream about having a second bike again but I'd rather save my money and enjoy all I have.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-02-2012, 11:38 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Before I bought, I tested the 'WeeStrom', the F650GS, F800GS, and 1200GS.

I figured the Versys was the best, and now I have TWO!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-02-2012, 06:46 PM

When I bought my Versys last year it was between it and the F650gs but after much research, I heard too many horror stories about the beemers both in problems and maintenance and parts cost so I went with the V.
I agree that the Japanese bikes are more reliable and cheaper to maintain.
My 2 for what its worth.

2013 Versys1000
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-02-2012, 07:39 PM

+1 on all the other post. BMW (Big Money on Wheels)

Sold 2005 honda vtx 1300 bought an '09 versys
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-02-2012, 08:01 PM Thread Starter

thanks for all the opinions, decided to keep the V, in part because the dealer posted the BMW on their website today and they jumped price by $1,000 over what they told me yesterday. Also, read up on the bike on several forums, including some of the European bike forums, yeah, while people love it, they are also regularly bitching about problems with it.

As for the triumph, test rode all 3 of the Tiger's recently, I'm in lust with Explorer 1200, but not for the nearly $20K price tag fully loaded.

'09 Candy Plasma Blue Versys 650 (the fastest color)
Givi DS 450 Windshield
SW motech engine guards
HT Teton Panniers
Acerbis handguards
Avon Distanzia tires
Garmin Zumo 665
dual power usb/12v plug
Givi trunk on custom mount

post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-03-2012, 06:16 PM

CHeck out the beemer board. I can't honestly state which is more durable. But I do know al lot of those guys with the 650 (800) complain about several of the same repair issues over and over. Kind of like here, I learned stator will likely be needed down the road.

Either way, good luck with your decision.

Concours C14
PGR #192992

Ride Reports Blog:

on two wheels:

Last edited by alekkas; 08-03-2012 at 06:21 PM.
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-03-2012, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colodak View Post
thanks for all the opinions, decided to keep the V, in part because the dealer posted the BMW on their website today and they jumped price by $1,000 over what they told me yesterday.
Curious if you actually rode the F658GS? It was the last bike I test rode before I bought the Versys. On paper it looked ideal for my needs. It disappointed me on the demo ride. Demo bike may have had issues though. Whether they're "all like that" or that one had problems, it doesn't sell me on the bike.
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-03-2012, 09:19 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Before I bought, I tested the 'WeeStrom', the F650GS, F800GS, and 1200GS.

I figured the Versys was the best, and now I have TWO!
Ah, let's see. Would that be one for BC and one for AZ? Or do you keep both of them where ever you happen to be? Inquiring minds want to know.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 12:57 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion View Post
Ah, let's see. Would that be one for BC and one for AZ? Or do you keep both of them where ever you happen to be? Inquiring minds want to know.
I have an '08 titled and stored in AZ for winters, and an '09 titled here in BC for the REST of the year!

The ONLY days I CAN'T ride for sure, are the days in the airplane going to, and from, Arizona.

LOVE the Vs!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 09:28 PM

Just sold my F800R and got the V. IMHO the f800 are overrated. After just 70 miles on the odometer the engine started leaking oil. The vibrations on the beemer are horrible.

The V is just so much more fun.
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 11:51 PM

Were the vibes worse than the Versys?

Last edited by RickySpanish; 08-14-2013 at 08:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode