Laid it down at 75mph - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-13-2017, 08:42 PM Thread Starter

Laid it down at 75mph

First off I am "okay" ATGATT!!!!
3 broken ribs skinned knee and knuckle on my pinkie.

In the center lane on the freeway, guy in a pickup cuts over 2 lanes from his entrance ramp. My options were grab a handful of brakes, take the hit from his rear. I grabbed too much brake, and locked the wheel. No time to correct my mistake.
No time to throttle my way out of it, I would have just taken the hit broadside.

Frame slider from LSI did a wonderful job. The bike slid a LONG way.
Only real damage was to the frame slider, the radiator cowling was broken. Just noticed the crack at the bottom of the body pannle ugh... might not spend the $300 on that and try jb weld...
Think it bent the tab where the frame slider mounted. But haven't got that far into it, but no frame damage I could see. Also the alternator cover got some scrapes, broke the clutch lever in half.

I was able to go soft, not tense up and go with the flow. Did a few tumbles and slid a ways. Never hit my helmet (one tiny tiny mark on the visor peak).
Speed and Strength jacket saved me from major back injury, and probably breaking both my elbows in the tumble. Thank you knoxx armor!
Cant figure out how my pinkie got it, no penetration of my gloves, but still took the skin off the knuckle.

Thankfully a biker was right there, picked my gun up from the highway, helped a passerby get the bike up and moved out of traffic. Bent my shift lever for me and followed me home. My newest best friend. No weird noises, no fluid leaks, think $100 in plastic and some motor guards instead of sliders, couple of turn signal bulbs and I am back on the road once my ribs can take it.

Last edited by Kyle E; 10-13-2017 at 08:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-13-2017, 09:14 PM

Considering how far south that could have gone...time to buy a lottery ticket.
The scrapes on the engine cover are close to the mounting point for the stator so something to watch. Glad to see you walk & ride away.
Urbanengineer and Kyle E like this.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-13-2017, 09:16 PM

Garage
Ouch....Man it could have been a lot worse.Glad you're not too banged up. Did you have a camera that way you could get the guys plate. I never get on the bike unless my camera is on....
turn8a and Kyle E like this.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-13-2017, 09:17 PM

Garage
Just saw your camera in the photo...Hope you had it on..

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-13-2017, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

Yep camera was running Highway Patrol has the SD card for evidence. Felony "hit and run" felony not stopping to render aid.

My luck the guy wont have coverage. So I'm just going to fix it myself saving the receipts until the HP gets him. They said someone would get back to me tomorrow for an update on if they have the lic number in the video.

I have full coverage, but got to tally to see if it is worth my deductible and possible rate increase that would result from it. Might take a few days to get moving around enough to get deep into it

Damn broken ribs hurt, percocet is a wonderful thing.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-13-2017, 10:17 PM

Garage
Glad that you are reasonably ok. Given the circumstances it could have been a lot worse.
turn8a and Kyle E like this.

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” Hunter S. Thompson
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-13-2017, 10:32 PM
Super Moderator

Atgatt

Glad you are alive, three broken ribs isn't exactly something that would qualify a statement coming away unscathed ,I know, expect 2 months and don't laugh or cough, no going in a wading pool and possibly sleeping on a lazyboy, been there done that.
Well all I can say is you should consider contacting the gear manufacturers and show what happens with proper gear . When I am out riding, 90% of all big cruiser bikes have no protective gear, 75% have half brain buckets, and when it comes to warm days and bikes out on a run, 80% have shorts and some sort of shoe /sandal .
I need to ask, you have a camera mounted, did the truck stop, do you have this on video and have you filed a claim/ police contacted?
Too many times I have come across people that have had multiple accidents/ charges against them, not reporting it or filing a claim allows the guy to do it again, the next guy may not be so lucky. I am talking from experience, in my early 20's, accident caused by a dumb ass, is all worried about insurance, says he will pay 100% , gives the name address and shows his drivers licence, 2 days later we call and give him the cost, he says he doesn't know what we are talking about, he ain't paying anything and we hadn't filed a report with the police.Luckily it was my brothers bike, we had witnesses , also it was a small town police force and he was known to the cops, we got a blast of **** for not reporting it right away,never did get paid. One of those life lesson's , dishonest people exit.
Too many times I have come across people that have had multiple accidents/ charges against them, not reporting it or filing a claim allows the guy to do it again, the next guy may not be so lucky. I am talking from experience, in my early 20's, accident caused by a dumb ass, is all worried about insurance, says he will pay 100% , gives the name address and shows his drivers license, 2 days later we call and give him the cost, he says he doesn't know what we are talking about, he ain't paying anything and we hadn't filed a report with the police.Luckily it was my brothers bike, we had witnesses , also it was a small town police force and he was known to the cops, we got a blast of **** for not reporting it right away,never did get paid. One of those life lesson's , dishonest people exit.

Well I got talking to my brother, by the time I finally posted, I went from being the first poster to the 5th. The highlighted area I already have a answer for from your last post but left it in, so the following sentences make sense.
Kyle E likes this.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-14-2017, 12:27 AM

Glad you survived! If you don't spend all the insurance funds on the bike, buy a nice pair of riding jeans with flexible integrated knee armor. They have come a long way in the past few years and leg protection is often overlooked.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-14-2017, 04:03 AM

Glad you came out okay all things considered. Hope they get that guy that cut you off. Wanted to ask if you were wearing riding jeans? If you mentioned I missed that part. Hope you have a speedy recovery.
Kyle E likes this.

post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-14-2017, 06:40 AM

Garage
I'm glad you came out of it as good as you did. Bike parts can be replaced. I'm also an ATGATT guy. I have the same question as above, were those riding jeans or regular jeans? I normally wear Olympia mesh pants over my pants, but sometimes just wear jeans. I was thinking about getting riding jeans for those days.
Kyle E likes this.

I don't care what you ride, just ride.
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-14-2017, 06:50 AM

Garage
ATGATT for sure. Glad you survived the ordeal. IF you want to replace the tank side panel and emissions tumor cover I've got you. They are both in great shape and even the same color (Imperial Red) for a Gen II. LMK
Kyle E likes this.

Jeff Reichel Palmer, ALASKA
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys

92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-14-2017, 09:22 AM

I'm really glad to see that you have made it OK. I've also experienced an accident with my motorcycle in October 2015. Had I not been a guy that believes in ATGATT, it could have been tragic.
Mend well!
Kyle E likes this.

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-14-2017, 09:36 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle E View Post
Yep camera was running Highway Patrol has the SD card for evidence. Felony "hit and run" felony not stopping to render aid.

My luck the guy wont have coverage. So I'm just going to fix it myself saving the receipts until the HP gets him. They said someone would get back to me tomorrow for an update on if they have the lic number in the video.

I have full coverage, but got to tally to see if it is worth my deductible and possible rate increase that would result from it. Might take a few days to get moving around enough to get deep into it

Damn broken ribs hurt, percocet is a wonderful thing.
Did the guy actually touch you? If not, you may not have a case depending on the laws in your state. I have read several motorcycle wreck stories where the cops said the rider did not control his bike which is why he went down, not because the asshole cut him off.

You definitely have to have your sixth sense going when riding or driving around other cars. Let this be a learning moment to all other riders to continually ask yourself what can happen when riding in traffic. I was on a very low traffic interstate on my Concours with all the extra lighting. I was in the right lane with two travel lanes in my direction. I saw this truck coming down an on ramp so I moved over to the passing lane. Then I determined that I would be right beside it when it merged onto the highway so I slowed down a hair. Sure enough, she came all the way over to the fast lane even though there were no cars in the slow lane for her to pass. I laid on the horn to let her know I was there even though I was in no danger. She just shrugged. Our state law is stay right to allow faster traffic to pass.

You always have to be anticipating the possible and ride with the knowledge that everyone else doesn't give a **** for the rules of the road.
quexpress, timster and Kyle E like this.

My Versys Travels:

post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-14-2017, 09:43 AM

Wow cannot imagine getting off at 75 mph. Don't forget to thank your guardian angle. Thinking he was workin overtime on that one.

Idiots in cars and it seems to only get worse with time. I posted on Facebook the following idiot encounter I had a couple of days ago. Pretty well sums up the current dumb ass in an auto syndrome in our country today.

"In the car on my way to Walmart for some groceries. Passing thru a school zone so speed is down round 30. Look in the mirror to see a new Mercedes flying up behind me at warp speed. Then she zooms around me and slams on the brakes at the light. 2 blocks up is the turn in for Walmart and of course she makes the turn and parks in the lot. Fast forward about 20 minutes and I am in the produce section patiently waiting my turn to grab a few heads of broccoli. Now it's my turn to grab a plastic produce bag but before I can step forward guess who dives in ahead of me with her shopping cart...yep the wild woman with the Mercedes. Morale of the story...Once an idiot always an idiot regardless of the vehicle involved."

Man my heart goes out to you with the rib issue. I busted a couple on my dirt bike last year. Hope you heal up fast.
Turk and Kyle E like this.

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-14-2017, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

Thank you all for the well wishes.

Update. Not as bad off as I thought I would be physically. Went for my normal 2 mile walk this morning. Much slower pace, but got it done. First mile was agony, then kinda got in the rhythm and the second wasn't too bad.

Ribs of course hurt. Got to remember not to use my left arm to do stuff and it will be alright. That's the percocet talking . Slept halfway decent. Knee is doing fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaJeff View Post
ATGATT for sure. Glad you survived the ordeal. IF you want to replace the tank side panel and emissions tumor cover I've got you. They are both in great shape and even the same color (Imperial Red) for a Gen II. LMK
Oh great! Ill send ya a PM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nayr14 View Post
Glad you survived! If you don't spend all the insurance funds on the bike, buy a nice pair of riding jeans with flexible integrated knee armor. They have come a long way in the past few years and leg protection is often overlooked.
To everyone asking about jeans. These were heavyweight denim, not standard wranglers, but no kevlar, no armor. They had been on my list to buy, something like Hood or whatever. Ive been loosing a tremendous amount of weight this past year. Still have another 30 to go for my ideal weight on the charts. So had been putting it off till I could wear the jeans for more than a month before them being too loose.

That plan has changed. Quite lucky to not get impact damage in the knees. The road rash is bad enough! Plan on adding in some kevlar,and armored jeans to my riding gear. Still amazed at how my elbows don't even hurt and I know I took a decent impact to them. CE armor is no joke.

I might do some thinking about over pants instead of the kevlar jeans. But one of those will happen before I start riding again in a few weeks.
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-14-2017, 10:50 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
Did the guy actually touch you? If not, you may not have a case depending on the laws in your state.
I actually asked the Trooper about that yesterday. He said in NV cutting off a vehicle is the same as actually hitting it. Its a different charge, but still became a felony when he did not stop. When I saw him later at the hospital, he mentioned that the guy faces 3 felony charges based on witness statements. No one got the plate number, or had cameras.

Thankfully in the position of my camera I get plate numbers very clearly. Only doubt is if the bike dipped before it came into frame. Should find out later on today.
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-14-2017, 11:48 AM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
damn glad you came out ok, for the cracked plastics drill a small hole at the end of the crack (will keep it from spreading) then drill small holes down the sides of them on each side then run some fishing line, dental floss, or zipties thru the holes and pull it tight light lasses , then cover with your filler of choice, or dont cover it and go for that JDM look
Kyle E likes this.

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-14-2017, 01:54 PM

Glad to read the gear worked and your personal damage is only going to take time to heal.

2017 Versys 650 LT -- Titanium
Debadged, Moto Werk lowering kit, slimmed down OEM seat, Shad SH33 top case, Scorpion Serket Taper exhaust, Moto Werk 1" risers, Grab On grip covers
post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-14-2017, 02:05 PM Thread Starter

Well dang, just got a call from a Trooper.
Plate was readable, but it was a plate that belongs to a Kia, not a green Chevy truck.
He ran the registered owner and such but no match for them owning the truck either.
He promised some followup of finding the Kia owner and see where the plates were taken, but not holding out any hope of it producing anything.

Doing the parts cost roundup, for replacement it would be $600 give or take. So no real point in going through my insurance and the chance of taking the hit of increased premiums down the line.

AlaskaJeff is hooking me up on the gas tank cowl, the radiator cowl is $70, If I replaced the slider it would be $100 but think Ill spend the $100 more for engine guards.
$30 for new levers I was thinking about getting anyway. $4 in bulbs. I can live with the minor scratches on the generator cover, just going to hit it with some spray paint.
So $300 and whatever Jeff needs I came away very lucky.
turn8a and AlaskaJeff like this.
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-14-2017, 03:54 PM

Garage
Kia huh, maybe they are reading it wrong a little or was that the plate actually on the truck?

Is you health insurance covering your medical expenses?

My Versys Travels:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode