Lane splitting past other riders? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 10:33 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Lane splitting past other riders?

I've been observing more and more of this behavior recently...I should mention lane sharing is legal in California.

I'm not one of the fastest guys on the road, ever, but certainly not during my rush hour freeway commute. I'll split lanes here and there, usually at a comfortable/cautious pace, but often I'm fully in the lane, not sharing it with a cage. If I see a bike coming up behind me when traffic is moving slow, I'll move to the left part of the lane, very obviously, and wave the rider by. I'm happy to let him/her by...no skin off my back...

What's been happening more frequently is while I'm on the freeway, traveling with the flow of traffic, bikes will come up behind me quickly (i.e., faster than the flow of traffic) and split lanes, at times between me and a cage, and at other times they will get up close to my arse, dart out just barely into the next lane, and then off to weave in and out of traffic.

Today, I had two bikes behind me, one raced passed me in the above manner. This distracted me and I drifted a little more towards the right portion of the lane than I expected, I move back to the center and see the other bike in my left mirror as if he was getting ready to pass me in my lane on the left. I couldn't believe it! I was in the fast lane going with the flow and this would have been between me and a guard rail (no shoulder). I did a little weave in the center portion of my lane to protect my lane, and he eventually changed lanes and passed on the right weaving in and out of traffic. Damn, it scared the hell out of me and pissed me the f off! It's totally disrespectful to another rider, and even more than that it was dangerous and stupid and their intentional behavior puts my life at risk, and that pisses me off.

2011 Imperial Red
Givi V46 / V35's SW Motech mounts
Skidmarx hugger Moto Werks bar riser
Mondo Motors LED Driving Lights
A little bit of road rash
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 10:56 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Happens all the time here around Los Angeles. Mostly guys on sports bikes that think thier indestructible. I've seen them blitz between cars that in no way would be able to see them. I lane split alot but i'm careful because i have been hit by a car and its hurts.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

Last edited by weljo2001; 07-31-2012 at 11:22 PM.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 11:08 PM

In most states it is legal for two motorcycles to share a lane. That is not lane splitting. In CO lane splitting with a car is ilegal. Very rarely I take the center of the lane since I believe is not necesary the safest position. When I leading a bike I usualy take the left track. When I see a motorcycle approaching from behind I stay within my side of the lane. If I see the following bike taking the left track I switch to the right to maintain the tandem. That also allows the following bike to pass on the left if he/she wishes. I do not pass a bike on the right nor do I try to pass a leading bike without signaling for a pass and seeing the leading rider acknowledging the pass. That is not courtesy. That is safety. The road is no place to show off or for rude behavior. I do not get pissed if others do not follow the rules of the road. I feel sorry for them since they are more likely to become a statistic

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Motorcycle.com Free App

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 12:09 AM

x

Last edited by AzItLies; 10-23-2012 at 01:45 PM.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 12:35 AM

I was on an empty two lane road, plenty of room all over. Not a vehicle in sight. Some asshole on a harley passed me so close i cant believe he didnt hit me....i was doing 50. He had to be doing at least 75. PSL was 40.

My buddy behind me said he was so close it looked like he hit me.

Some bikers are just....assholes.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 05:16 AM

I pass motorcycles as if they were cars. Lane sharing or splitting in NY is not legal and I find it disrespectful.

David

It takes all kinds...
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-03-2012, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boricua View Post
Very rarely I take the center of the lane since I believe is not necesary the safest position. When I leading a bike I usualy take the left track. When I see a motorcycle approaching from behind I stay within my side of the lane.
+1.

In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

=>
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-03-2012, 10:19 PM

I feel the practice you describe is unsafe and has nothing to do with lane splitting. I pass many bikes. Always give them their own lane and treat them like a car. Even more, actually, cause I don't want to bum out someone's ride or wreck a biker any more than I do when in my car. I think it is an issue of respect.

Concours C14
PGR #192992

Ride Reports Blog:

on two wheels:
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NesquikNinja View Post
I was on an empty two lane road, plenty of room all over. Not a vehicle in sight. Some asshole on a harley passed me so close i cant believe he didnt hit me....i was doing 50. He had to be doing at least 75. PSL was 40.

My buddy behind me said he was so close it looked like he hit me.

Some bikers are just....assholes.
Another a-hole on a Harley huh?
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 07:26 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boricua View Post
In most states it is legal for two motorcycles to share a lane. That is not lane splitting. In CO lane splitting with a car is ilegal. Very rarely I take the center of the lane since I believe is not necesary the safest position. When I leading a bike I usualy take the left track. When I see a motorcycle approaching from behind I stay within my side of the lane. If I see the following bike taking the left track I switch to the right to maintain the tandem. That also allows the following bike to pass on the left if he/she wishes. I do not pass a bike on the right nor do I try to pass a leading bike without signaling for a pass and seeing the leading rider acknowledging the pass. That is not courtesy. That is safety. The road is no place to show off or for rude behavior. I do not get pissed if others do not follow the rules of the road. I feel sorry for them since they are more likely to become a statistic

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Motorcycle.com Free App
Definitely not that way in the eastern states. We have to ride staggered in the lane with a safe following distance from the bike in front.

You guys out in the Wild Wild West definitely have a lot less restrictions. The majority of the states I rode in this summer have no helmet law, and you can legally ride ATVs and UTVs on the streets. Don't get me started on the truck pulling a travel trailer, a boat, and a jet ski all at the same time! LOL!

My Versys Travels:

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 09:54 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Happens all the time here with sport biker just passing by without any concern on safety. Just be careful and dont get pissed off.It wont help you in any way.

We think they are wrong but they think they are right,.....

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 10:53 AM Thread Starter

Definitely getting mad doesn't help anything, because then I'll start being stupid too...I'm just surprised that other riders lack respect for their fellow riders. Or like you said Fastoman, they think they're right...

Ride safe and watch out for the squids!

2011 Imperial Red
Givi V46 / V35's SW Motech mounts
Skidmarx hugger Moto Werks bar riser
Mondo Motors LED Driving Lights
A little bit of road rash
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 01:48 PM

Whether it's on a bike, a car, a bicycle, a skateboard and even roller skates, stupid behavior from idiots should come as a surprise to no one. Recently I was aggressively challenged for a lane on a steep downhill on Franklin St. (Baileyman you know this one I'm sure) by a roller skater doing at least 30mph. God knows what would have happened to him if he'd wiped.

Paul D
SF, CA

'12 Versys (yellow)

Previous bikes:
'04 DL1000
'02 KLR650
'01 Ducati M750
'79 Yamaha XS650
'78 Yamaha XS650
Twins rule!
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 03:12 AM

Lots of arrogance and disrespectful, IMO.

Present Ride: Yamaha Super Tenere 2012
Previous Ride:
2011 to 2015 2011 Versys Spark BlackKawasaki Ninja 2010 to 2011 250R 2008 Plasma Blue
My V's Farkle Log:
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 07:45 AM

I'd love to see how you'd all get on over here.

Good luck exploring the infinite abyss
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy F View Post
I'd love to see how you'd all get on over here.
I'm willing to wager that where you are can't be worse than here (Thailand!!)
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yychow0812 View Post
I'm willing to wager that where you are can't be worse than here (Thailand!!)
I think you'd easily win that bet. But there's a difference between filtering while making progress and suicidal lemmings.

Good luck exploring the infinite abyss
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 03:46 PM

If I am in the hov lane and a bike comes up behind me I will motion to them that they are welcome to lane split, but without some kind of sign I would be a little upset if someone split my lane.. How would they know if they've even been seen?

09 Lime Versys
13' DL650 Vstrom
06 (Gold) Goldwing IV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode