MRA Windscreen - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Gangles
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2017, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
hawkerjet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Fresno aka Shake & Bake California
Posts: 931
MRA Windscreen

Curious is anyone is running one of these and how do you like it?

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...00#reviews_tab

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.
hawkerjet is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-14-2017, 11:29 AM
Member
 
Gangles's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: BC Canada
Posts: 98
https://imgur.com/a/SuPL6

I have the one with the spoiler attached at the top. Is it worth the price? Eh... maybe? I mean you can get other, taller screens that may work just as well if not better, for almost half the money...

For clarity I am 6'4" (193cm) and 160-170lbs with a 34" inseam.

The screen is small, but the spoiler helps a LOT with getting the air over my head, I have a Dual Sport peak on my helmet and at the highest setting I'm JUST getting buffeted around the top of my peak, I'm sure if I took it off the air would flow more cleanly past my head.

I think i'll probably end up buying the Givi windscreen and taking the spoiler off of this one and bolting it on to the Givi for even more wind protection with that one.

Overall i'd give it a 6/10, mostly due to the cost vs other windscreens... I'm not sure why it's so much more expensive that the others... Save your money and buy the Givi screen imo, unless you really really want a spoiler...

EDIT: Just saw you linked to the one without the spoiler, which isn't ludicrously expensive like the one with the spoiler is...
SteveJ likes this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Gangles; 10-14-2017 at 11:31 AM.
Gangles is offline  
Old 10-15-2017, 08:33 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: mid Flowriduh
Posts: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangles View Post
https://imgur.com/a/SuPL6

I have the one with the spoiler attached at the top. Is it worth the price? Eh... maybe? I mean you can get other, taller screens that may work just as well if not better, for almost half the money...

For clarity I am 6'4" (193cm) and 160-170lbs with a 34" inseam.

The screen is small, but the spoiler helps a LOT with getting the air over my head, I have a Dual Sport peak on my helmet and at the highest setting I'm JUST getting buffeted around the top of my peak, I'm sure if I took it off the air would flow more cleanly past my head.

I think i'll probably end up buying the Givi windscreen and taking the spoiler off of this one and bolting it on to the Givi for even more wind protection with that one.

Overall i'd give it a 6/10, mostly due to the cost vs other windscreens... I'm not sure why it's so much more expensive that the others... Save your money and buy the Givi screen imo, unless you really really want a spoiler...

EDIT: Just saw you linked to the one without the spoiler, which isn't ludicrously expensive like the one with the spoiler is...
Favor SVP? Can you post up results of that experiment iff'n you get the Givi? I have the 4114 Givi. It is better than the Puig but not quite ti Nirvana yet. TIA.

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SteveinSunnyFlorida)

'15 KLE650LT
'99 Concours(with 234,xxx miles on it), sold
'98 KLR650


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


And most of Canada too, eh?
SteveJ is offline  
 
Old 10-16-2017, 11:01 AM
Member
 
Gangles's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: BC Canada
Posts: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
Favor SVP? Can you post up results of that experiment iff'n you get the Givi? I have the 4114 Givi. It is better than the Puig but not quite ti Nirvana yet. TIA.
I plan on it


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Gangles is offline  
Old 10-16-2017, 03:33 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 9
Garage
I bought a second hand mra touring windscreen without the spoiler for my '17 v1k.
I found it a bit better than the stock one in the lower position, but I still got a lot of noise on my ears (no turbolence).

Then I bought the mra x-creen touring spoiler, which costed almost twice compared to the windscreen but it allows many different positions. I still have to find the sweet spot, but I'm able to do long distance rides without too much fatigue.

I can't compare it to the other aftermarket windscreens, but I still have to understand if the money spent is worth or not.

With my previous vstrom 650 2010, I found the peace with madstad brackets and an mra variotouring screen. I still have to reach that level of "perfection" with the v1k.

I would have preferred that the lower part of the mra windscreen for the v1k was larger, just like the givi one. That would have probably lowered the noise around the ears. That's the only issue I have.. noise! Earplugs perhaps do their job well in long distance highway rides!

the same windscreen can be mounted also on the newer v650.. but I'm not sure if the results are similar or not..


Inviato dal mio HUAWEI VNS-L31 utilizzando Tapatalk

Last edited by fear_factory84; 10-16-2017 at 03:35 PM.
fear_factory84 is offline  
Old 10-18-2017, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
hawkerjet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Fresno aka Shake & Bake California
Posts: 931
Thanks Fear Factor for the write up and pics. I really like the look of the touring screen minus the spoiler.

I tried 3 different shields on my FZ09 and the hands down best one was the MRA. The shape of the one on your V-1000 reminds me of it.

So I ordered one yesterday. Will give a report when I get a few rides with it.

Something else about MRA shields is the material they use. It's very safe in a crash. It does not break into shards or sharp edges like some others do.

A riding buddy had an Ermax brand on his bike and took a slow speed spill. The screen broke and the exposed edges were very sharp. Fortunately he did not hit it with any body parts.

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.
hawkerjet is offline  
Old 10-22-2017, 07:44 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 9
Garage
I agree the materials tha mra uses are pretty good.

A thing that is annoying me on this windscreen setup is that the upper part is too flexible at highway speed and it's always moving. Perhaps my bolts are bolted over rubber washers. It is possible that they are too soft for the job.
I need to play with it a bit to find the perfect setup.

Let me know if yours is behaving too in this way.

Inviato dal mio BTV-DL09 utilizzando Tapatalk
fear_factory84 is offline  
Old 10-22-2017, 10:00 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
hawkerjet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Fresno aka Shake & Bake California
Posts: 931
Quote:
Originally Posted by fear_factory84 View Post
I agree the materials tha mra uses are pretty good.

A thing that is annoying me on this windscreen setup is that the upper part is too flexible at highway speed and it's always moving. Perhaps my bolts are bolted over rubber washers. It is possible that they are too soft for the job.
I need to play with it a bit to find the perfect setup.

Let me know if yours is behaving too in this way.

Inviato dal mio BTV-DL09 utilizzando Tapatalk
I wonder if the vario addition is causing the movement. I won't be running the vario unit on mine.

I tried 3 different small screens on my FZ09 and the hands down winner was the MRA double bubble. It was a tad taller than the other two but produced the most smooth laminar flow of all.

Looking at the pictures you posted I see a similar profile on your MRA shield as the one on my FZ09.

Will advise on how it works and if it wiggles at highway speeds.

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.

Last edited by hawkerjet; 10-22-2017 at 10:05 AM.
hawkerjet is offline  
Old 10-23-2017, 12:10 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 9
Garage
I can't show what does my screen at highways speed because I have no action camera to film it, but if you see this youtube video with the v1k and a puig screen with a spoiler, has just the same behaviour as mine:

You can see that the top end of the screen is always moving a little...

This is probably is because how the mounts are made and the fact that we are using bigger screens than the stock one.
fear_factory84 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
 

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Thread Tools



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome