30,000 miles: Report - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 08:00 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
30,000 miles: Report

When I first joined this site a couple of years ago when my bike was brand new, I wanted some feedback from members who had put some higher mileage on their bikes so I might get a clue what I would run into down the road with my bike. Unfortunately, there wasn't a whole lot of people with high or moderate mileage bikes out there...a couple, but not many--it seemed most had under 10K or so. That's understandable, after all we are talking about a bike that had only been out 2 years (in the USA) when I got mine. Anyway, my bike is now almost exactly 2 years old and currently has 32K miles on it, so I guess I average 16K a year. I thought I'd pass along my experience with the bike up to this point for those that have new or low mileage bikes that are interested.

The Bike:
Let me start by saying, I love this bike! It is my favorite motorcycle I have ever had--this coming from a guy with nearly 30 years riding experience and close to 500,000 miles under his belt. It just does everything so dang good. Not super fast or powerful, but just fast and powerful enough to get the job done--it's punchy and just plain fun to ride. (if I had a liter bike or whatever, I am sure there would be pictures of me up in your Post Office!) It doesn't have razor sharp race bike handling, but it handles pretty darn good--I've never felt it let me down and wouldn't do something I wanted it to do in the twisties. I love the looks of the bike, the upright, neutral riding position, and the 5 gallon/225+ mile range gas tank. If somebody where to ask me why do I like this bike so much, I would just say, "it is just plain old fun to ride--it's a really fun bike to ride around on." It does everything well, from long-range touring (I did an Iron Butt on it--1,180 miles in 18 hours and 20 minutes), to urban warrior/daily commuting (my daily commute is about 75 miles round trip), to the occasional weekend blast through local twisty mountain roads--it NEVER seems out of it's element no matter what it is doing and I find myself, well, having fun on it all the time.

Dislikes or gripes? C'mon, no bike is perfect, right? First off has got to be the dreaded "cowling buzz." Mine developed at about 500 miles and I have taken everything off the front end at least half a dozen times and tried every remedy on the books with no true success. I get it for a while, but then it comes back within a few thousand miles, especially after I added the larger Givi windscreen. I just finally gave up and live with it. That is sloppy and careless on Kawasaki's part--not acceptable. Next, I would like a temp gauge and a thermometer built into the gauges--seems like an inexpensive thing for them to add, so why not? The front fender is way too short on the backside and the front tire slings muck all over the radiator, headers, and the front of the motor. Kawasaki has got to be aware of this...why didn't they fix it when they redesigned the fender in 2010? I've got the mirror extenders and I've tried three different sets of mirrors and I still can get and crisp, clear, vibration-less view behind me. I sorta' knew this going in--I've never ridden a bike with bar mounted mirrors that didn't have vibration problems, but it still is a nuisance. I've read complaints about the brakes, the suspension, the seat, or the vibration...for me, personally, none of those things are an issue at all. Oh yeah, I don't really like the silver rims (I know not every color comes with silver rims)--they are tough to keep clean and shiny, especially the back one. I wish my bike had black rims so they wouldn't show flung chain lube or road grime as quickly.

Modifications:

Not much here...
  • Grip Puppies
  • mirror extenders
  • 4 mirror sets including stock, currently Z1000
  • OEM Top Case and mounting rack
  • Givi windscreen
  • 12V power socket installed in dash
  • 43T rear sprocket

Maintenance:

In general this bike has been anvil reliable and needed very little attention or concern to keep it purring perfectly from 0 miles to 32,000 miles. It seems Honda or BMW has a reputation for long-term durability, but I believe Kawasaki bikes are a match for them--the Kawi bikes might not have the fit and finish of the Hondas (who does?), but if you reasonably maintain them they IMO are every bit as durable, if not more. At least that's been my experience over the years.

I changed my oil and filter at 100 miles, 500 miles, and switched over to full synthetic at 1.5K miles. I run 5W-40 T-6 Rotella full synthetic almost all of the time (right now I have a 5W-50 Maxima full synthetic in there because I had a gift card for a local motorcycle shop) and change the oil and filter at 5,000 mile intervals. I run a Fram Extra-Guard 7137 (7317?) filter, the one that is a little longer than stock. Let's see...I have run multiple sets of tires...from Shinko's Ravens and Podiums, to Bridgestone BT-023; I currently just put on a set of the Conti Sport Motions. The Bridgestones have been the best tire so far. I cleaned the air filter at 10K, 20K, and 30K. I changed out the OEM brake pads at about 22,000 miles (they were pretty well shot and paper thin) with EBC's HH pads. The OEM chain and sprockets were replaced at about 25,000 miles--the chain had been toast--high and low spots--for about 5K miles, but the sprockets looked very good, with very minor cupping. I probably could have gotten away with just replacing the chain and going another 20K on the stock sprockets. I forget the brand, but I put on an expensive gold X-ring chain and a 43 tooth rear sprocket--must be good stuff because the chain has not needed an adjustment in 7,000 miles! I wish I had done the sprocket earlier--if I had to do it over again, I would switch it out when the bike was new--that really changed the character of the bike, in more than one way, for the better. This is kind of strange, but the headlight bulb and the little license plate light bulb burned out within a day or two of each other--right about at 25,000 miles. If your headlight burns out, check that license plate light and vice versa! Now, THIS is the interesting part--the first major tune-up. I had it done at 30,000 miles! That's right, 30,000 miles! I had read so much on here about people checking their valves at 5K or 10K or even 15K and finding tight valves, then other people reported they opened their engines up at those times and found everything in spec--I was getting conflicting info so I was kind of unsure about which direction to go. But guess what? At 30,000 miles in, my valves were still in spec from the factory...some close to being tight out of spec, but they were still IN spec! Here's what we found: Left Ex. at .15, now at .19, right Ex. at .19, kept at .19, Left Intake at .23, now at .29, right Intake at. 22 now at .29. The spark plugs didn't just look good, they looked brand new! So I had them reinstalled after a checking the gaps--love those Iridium plugs! Bike fires right up and runs better and smoother than ever! That's really about it...I lube my chain every 300-500 miles (I switch lubes all the time; currently I am using the new Honda Moly one), lube the clutch cable every oil change (5K miles), and run a tank of gas with fuel injector cleaner added every 5K miles as well.

I plan on keeping this bike for a while (forever?) and I have the 5 year unlimited mileage Kawasaki Protection Plan, so we will see where this goes. I plan to get at least 100K out of this bike and maybe even 150K before any major rebuild. My next projects will be to grease/clean the headset bearing and swingarm bearings, flush the coolant and brake fluid, but I am in no real rush to do that. I am going to bring the bike back to the shop to get another tune-up at 50K (now we know exactly where the valves have been set we want to see what happens in a 20K interval) so maybe I will have all that done in about a year when the bike is 3 years old or so. See ya' at 50K!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012-06-28_17-19-22_679-1.jpg (38.9 KB, 198 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG0518.jpg (67.3 KB, 193 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG1370-1.jpg (46.6 KB, 205 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG0927.jpg (52.8 KB, 235 views)

Ride to live, live to ride.
2009 Kawasaki Versys
2010 Yamaha YZ 250F
2008 Honda CRF 450
2006 Honda CR 250R
I've owned a Maico.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 08:14 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Great write up, got a bee in my bonnet about manual recomendation to change those iridium as i have changed at 12,000km, 24,000 km but I think its a waste a kawasaki corp here also agrees with me. My Ninja 1000 also has the same plugs as the v and it will come up to its 12,000 km service soon and they say in manual change plugs but * 4 iridium plugs is blinkin $$$ so I think i will not have it done as the plugs should be good for 50,000 km plus.

I got a couple of friends interested in a versys so going to copy your write up and email it to them.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 08:59 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Great writeup. I think you have your valve clearance measurements mixed up between In and Ex...

Specs: Exhaust 0.22 - 0.31 mm (0.0087 - 0.0122 in.)
Inlet 0.15 - 0.21 mm (0.0059 - 0.0083 in.)

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 09:10 PM

Good honest report. Keep riding, filling the gas tank and changing the oil and I think you'll get your 150k goal!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 06:45 AM

Thanks for writing this up! Reading reports like that make me feel good about the months of research I did before buying my V.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

May the road always curve in front of you.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 09:13 AM

Thanks for taking the time to write that up, awesome information for potential owners and affirmation for current owners!
With 30k, my reliability experience has been much the same.
Exceptions:
  • My valves were tight at 12k.
  • I bent a front wheel.
  • Reset Button failed, can't bring it back.
  • Eats Tires Like Candy- 7 sets in 30K.
  • Eats Chains as well- on the 4th one.

Still, the bike has been excellent. Fits me to a tee, up for anything I am, never lets me down.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron650 View Post
Thanks for taking the time to write that up, awesome information for potential owners and affirmation for current owners!
Exceptions:
  • I bent a front wheel.

Still, the bike has been excellent. Fits me to a tee, up for anything I am, never lets me down.
Holy cow! 14 tires in 30k miles??? That's worse than BMWs with their Z-Rated tires... and 4 chains?!?! Where the heck are you riding your V and what are you doing to her?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

May the road always curve in front of you.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 01:17 PM

What kind of fuel injector cleaner do you use? Thanks
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 01:21 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
With apologies for stealing, then changing, your reply "Baron650" :

With 37,500k miles on my '08, my reliability experience has been much the same.
Exceptions:
  • My valves were MOSTLY, SLIGHTLY tight at 26k miles.
  • I HAVEN'T bent a front OR REAR wheel, tho' I low-sided at 20 mph.
  • Reset Button HASN'T failed YET.
  • DOESN'T Eat Tires Like Candy- 4 sets in 37.5K - OEMs, mixed pair, ContiMotions, Metzler Tourances (STILL ON).
  • DOESN'T Eat Chains as well- STILL on MY ORIGINAL tho' changed my front sprocket.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron650 View Post
Exceptions:
  • I bent a front wheel.

Dang!!! Where and how are you riding?
My 08 is at 27K miles and only on its 2nd front and 3rd rear tire. The rears I changed out due to punctures, not tread wear. My current front has just over 16K on it and is more squared than worn. I just started the shopping process for a new set last week but will probably stick with the Pilot Roads I've been running.
Iím on my 2nd chain, but didnít change it out until 25K miles. Replaced the clutch cable and did the valve check at the same time. Valves were in spec.

Overall my experience has been pretty much like RockyMotoís. I've had really no problems at all to report. The V is turning into the most reliable, repair free vehicle I've ever had.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 02:02 PM

Thanks for the write up. Pretty much the same experience at 40,000 miles on an '09.
Zero real problems but reset buttons did fail. Your warranty should cover with a full instrument panel replacement. Now back to 8,500 miles, so I really have a long way to go.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 02:53 PM

Garage
Nice report,
Couldn't agree more about how fun and well fitting this bike is for me too.
I'm just over 22,000 Kms (around 14,000 miles) and counting.

Always trust your cape.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode