How to jack Versys up to lube chain? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-30-2012, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
How to jack Versys up to lube chain?

So what clever ways have you all came up with for getting the rear wheel off the ground to lube your chain? It seems as though the muffler is in the way of using any kind of jack to get the wheel off the ground. There must be an easier way to lube the chain then having to roll it forward over and over. Also, I got some Dupont Chain Saver and it really makes a mess over the wheel and tire when applying. Any tricks? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-30-2012, 10:12 PM

There are threaded lugs near the back of the swingarm on both sides that allow you to install spools. If you then buy a paddock stand, to keep in your garage, you can jack the back wheel up to lube the chain or remove the rear tire etc.

Brian
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-30-2012, 10:28 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Put a piece of cardboard between the chain and exhaust. A piece on the ground under the chain and spray the chain about mid swingarm lower section of chain and spin the tire

http://www.harborfreight.com/interes...and-99701.html

http://www.shop.motowerk.com/Swingar...10MMSPOOLS.htm

arril 004 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

Last edited by weljo2001; 07-30-2012 at 10:32 PM.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-30-2012, 10:35 PM

There are many solutions, with people who swear by them and others who think they're stupid. I haven't tried all of them, but I'll list a few

1. Use a center stand. Apparently there is one available for the Versys.
2. Add spools and use a swingarm stand like suggested above.
3. Use a swingarm stand that lifts the swingarm directly. Mine works both ways.
4. Use a portable stand for the right side of the swingarm. At least two manufacturers make 'em. They're small enough to take when touring.
5. Spray the exposed part of the chain each time you fill up.
6. Use an automatic chain oiler.
7. Don't lube the chain at all. Count on the lube sealed in by the O rings or X rings to be sufficient. If it works, it's pretty convenient for traveling.

Last edited by davidg; 07-30-2012 at 10:38 PM.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by layduke15 View Post
So what clever ways have you all came up with for getting the rear wheel off the ground to lube your chain? It seems as though the muffler is in the way of using any kind of jack to get the wheel off the ground. There must be an easier way to lube the chain then having to roll it forward over and over. Also, I got some Dupont Chain Saver and it really makes a mess over the wheel and tire when applying. Any tricks? Thanks
If it was me, I would bite the bullet and install spools on the swing arm and buy a paddock stand. It is well worth the convenience for everything from lubing the chain to changing the rear tire to just working on the bike. You'll never miss a kick stand with a paddock stand. The spools will also help protect the swing arm if you drop your bike on it's side.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 01:49 AM

I have a spool stand now, but used to do a ghetto lift by tipping the bike over on the kickstand to get the rear wheel off the ground, then I put a small car jackstand under the right side axle.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 08:13 AM Thread Starter

Great advice guys. I will certainly get a swingarm stand. Thanks
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 08:13 AM

The spool stand is a safe bet. Allow you to lift up the rear for full access for cleaning the chain and lubing later.Besides the scottoiler use, clean the chain with a dry rag every 2 weeks. There drip 80w-90 gear oil on each chain link x-ring. DID chain lasted up to 30K km.

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

Last edited by stlee29; 07-31-2012 at 08:18 AM.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidg View Post
1. Use a center stand. Apparently there is one available for the Versys.
Where can I find this? My last bike had a center stand and I MISS IT SO MUCH
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 10:54 AM

I use a paddock stand when I'm home.
On the road, I use a small stand I got off a guy of the ADV Forum.
I oiled my chain each evening on a 19 day trip out west just this past month using this stand.

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 12:08 PM

I use a swingarm stand for home use and while traveling I use the "PackJack"

http://www.packjack.ca/

It's not going to work that bothers me, it's the eight hour wait to go riding.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by genehil View Post
I oiled my chain each evening on a 19 day trip out west just this past month using this stand.

Can someone fill me in on what's the technique used to get the V up on a portable stand like this?
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by genehil View Post

I made one of these out of a piece of hardwood. Needs to be about 13 1/2" long to fit under a spool, maybe 1/2" shorter to brace under the swingarm. Or you can get a buddy to lean the bike over for you for 30 seconds while you spray the lube.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dave View Post
Can someone fill me in on what's the technique used to get the V up on a portable stand like this?
First thing I do is use a length of Velcro strap To lock the front brake...
Then I prop the jack between the ground and right side swing arm spool - using the little red shock cord to help hold the brace attached up against the spool...
Next I go back to the left side and grab the handlebar and the right side passenger grab handle and pull the bike toward me. That lifts the rear wheel while the bike is leveraged against the front tire and the kickstand and gives the jack the opportunity to swing down to the vertical and voilă - the tire is off the ground enough to turn it.
After a few times doing it it becomes pretty easy to get her up where you need her.

When I'm finished... from the right side I push up on the bike against the front tire and kickstand just enough to take the weight off the jack... and just kick it out loose with my foot.

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72

Last edited by genehil; 07-31-2012 at 02:34 PM.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 05:59 PM

Not necessary to lock the front brake if you are on level ground. The kickstand is pointed forward, the bike is not going to roll up and over the point where the kickstand retracts. You also don't need the fancy brace: a block of 2x4 will do the job. It's a bit bulky to take on a trip, which is why I made one out of a maple 1x2. The main thing is to try it: stand on the left side of the bike, grab the right passenger handle and pull the bike towards you, bringing the back wheel off the ground. Once you get a feel for the balance point then you can do the same procedure from the right side of the bike while jamming a piece of wood under the spool. JMO

Edit: Not trying to dis anyone's decision to buy the cool brace. I totally get the allure of shiny things.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 07:35 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Used to do this until a versys rider in Malaysia 'fastoman' sent his stand back to NZ in his daughters suitcase as she is studying here.

Use this now

Last edited by kiwi 41; 07-31-2012 at 07:46 PM.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 11:13 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlee29 View Post
The spool stand is a safe bet. Allow you to lift up the rear for full access for cleaning the chain and lubing later.Besides the scottoiler use, clean the chain with a dry rag every 2 weeks. There drip 80w-90 gear oil on each chain link x-ring. DID chain lasted up to 30K km.

stlee29 -
VERY NICE shock!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 11:21 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
stlee29 -
VERY NICE shock!
My very good friend has very good taste and a very clean floor.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 11:29 AM

Seems a bit too complicated for chain lubing. Here's my technique:
Spray exposed section of chain. Move bike ahead. Spray exposed section of chain. Repeat.

2007 Kawasaki Versys
2006 KTM 525EXC

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode