I'm stuck, not the way you would think though... - Kawasaki Versys Forum
View Poll Results: Oil pan swap choices, which one?
Keep my current set-up alone and change nothing 0 0%
Swap oil pans but leave the Alguard gravel guard 0 0%
Swap oil pans, grind the tabs off and get a REAL skid plate 3 100.00%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

1Likes
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-06-2017, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Question I'm stuck, not the way you would think though...

Knowing me, you would think I'm stuck in the mud somewhere in Alaska or Canada. But it's not that kind of stuck, today anyway
Here is my dilemma: I've got an ER-6N oil pan that I'm going to swap in to my Versys to get rid of the low hanging oil drain plug location. I know, why bother? Right? You see my current exhaust set up rubs on the part of the oil pan that hangs down and by doing this I will eliminate that issue. It's not bad but I think over time something will happen to the oil pan or exhaust.
I also was wanting to grind off the factory belly fairing mounting tabs from side the new oil pan like JDRocks did on his V649HP bike.
This will necessitate re-thinking my current skid plate/rock guard choice. I am currently running an original Alguard unit, but it mounts on the oil pan tabs... Hence my dilemma, Do I leave the tabs on there and stick with the Alguard or look for a better stronger ACTUAL skid plate that mounts to the frame?
I'm sure I can re-sell the highly sought after Alguard unit with no problem, just wondering IF it's worth the change? I've taken my bike through quite a bit of off-road punishment and have yet to damage my skid plate or snap off one of the oil pan mounting tabs. Should I just swap the oil pans out as is and stick with the Alguard unit, or upgrade? Let's hear what
"the collective" has to say.......

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeff Reichel Palmer, ALASKA
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)

Last edited by AlaskaJeff; 10-07-2017 at 01:08 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-06-2017, 03:15 PM

Garage
I really liked my Algard Engine Guard but i would not use it for any serious off road adventures that involved hitting it against big ole rocks. More of a gravel guard to me....If yours is an original Algard Engine Guard it will look like this one notice the shapes of the air holes or vents. If they do not match these its a Algard Copy made by Forum Member Tinner.....

IMG_0089 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-06-2017, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Mine is an original
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4723.jpg (101.8 KB, 40 views)

There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys

Last edited by AlaskaJeff; 10-06-2017 at 04:57 PM.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-07-2017, 12:30 PM
Super Moderator

Jeff - my thoughts are to go ahead and make the changes, then mount a PROPER skid-plate, MOSTLY because you already know what it's like to get 'stranded' in the outback, even if it wasn't for too long, and you DO go where "angels fear to tread"...!

Either THAT or buy yourself a Gen 3 which already has that oil-pan, plus the muffler LOOKS like it will protect the "under-stuff". (I run mine w/out a skid-plate.)
AlaskaJeff likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-07-2017, 03:50 PM

Garage
No opinion on your choices. Whatever you do it is still a street oriented bike that you turned into a scrambler per se.

My Versys Travels:

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-07-2017, 09:28 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
No opinion on your choices. Whatever you do it is still a street oriented bike that you turned into a scrambler per se.

Thanks for your NON answer......................

2011 ADVersys

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-08-2017, 08:07 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaJeff View Post

Thanks for your NON answer......................

Better than just randomly clicking on a choice since the title was vague enough to get me to click on it.

Seriously though, ANY bike can be an adventure bike. It is how much the rider is willing to endure and the skills they have.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg adventure.jpg (99.3 KB, 12 views)

My Versys Travels:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode