Still prefer my V - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-29-2012, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Still prefer my V

Swapped bikes with a friend on a ride yesterday, tried his FJR. I have a background of riding Concours, but had forgotten what a sport touring bike was like to ride.

I rode it for about an hour. Impressions, pretty much in the order they hit me, include:

Lower seat ,heavy lift off the side stand.
Only a 5 speed, and that's all that bike needs. Linear power delivery starting quite low down and redline @ 9000 rpm.
Very smooth, sneaky smooth, power. Sounds and feels like an electric motor.
More acute knee bend, my knees hurt after 1/2 hour. My V has lowered pegs, but still more bend than the stock V footpeg/seat relationship.
Electric windscreen adjustable on the go; nice.
We rode some really twisty roads and again I noticed the weight and the longer wheel base, more effort to change direction, but really held the line nicely.
Changed line mid corner with no complaints.
Corbin seats, even "broken in" are way too hard for my skinny arse.

His impressions of the V:
Great handling, "flickable" bike, light weight, liked the upright seating position and the extended leg room! Fun to ride and cooler in the heat of the day. He also said the brakes were good (I have aftermarket rotors and pads).
He commented on the vibration in the handlebar but none in pegs. He said it was a lot better than the parallel twins he rode in the past and wasn't objectionable. Probably being polite, you could balance a cup of tea on that FJR!

The FJR would make a great tourer with the exception of the tight knee bend with my 34" inseam, but I can't do long trips right now. I wouldn't want it for my every day ride, even for the 525 km I rode yesterday. I would likely lose my license using it for every day riding; too sneakly fast and no wind resistance to make rider aware of the velocity.
The exact reason that I got away from those types of bikes and reinforces my present choice of ride. But if my lottery investments pay off...

Observations on life and motorcycling, short stories and photos, with no annoying political or religious rhetoric
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-29-2012, 11:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
x

Last edited by AzItLies; 10-23-2012 at 01:47 PM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-30-2012, 06:46 AM

Guess different 2 wheelers gives it's own set of excitement. Good rides, Smiley and Azitlies.

My V Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride safe,

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-30-2012, 10:47 AM

Interesting and timely comparison. After doing lots of solo touring I'm now looking at more two up touring. Trying to figure out do I sink more money into the Vee to make it more comfortable or (eventually) move to something more suitable like the FJR. One of my friends got one last year and it looks gorgeous. I'd better not let her sit on it or she might change her mind in saying the Vee is comfortable!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-30-2012, 10:56 AM

x

Last edited by AzItLies; 10-23-2012 at 01:46 PM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-30-2012, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzItLies View Post
Hey you gotta go in the direction of what's appropriate for your riding. But there are some diffs to note in case you aren't aware:

the V weighs about 450 wet, the fjr is 650. Also, the fjr has an almost 5 inch longer wheel base. These things add up to practical difference that may or may not be relevant to you...

I always like the look of my fjr looks awfully sporty. But it's no where near as light as a sporty bike
Yeah, I realize there would be quite a difference in weight/length. Realistically it would 2014 before I would be looking to change bikes as I would only consider it if we were going for week long trips at least. We are just starting out on bike trips together so I have to see how things go. I love the Versys so I'm not in any hurry to change. Just debating on splurging on the hard bags...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode