4Likes
  • 2 Post By hawkerjet
  • 1 Post By timster
  • 1 Post By hawkerjet

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-04-2017, 10:32 PM Thread Starter

A Real First

Just call me Mr. buy high and sell low.

I always lose money when it comes to cars and motorcycles...until now.

Bought my 2015 KTM 1190 Adventure just about one year ago. Stole it might be a better descriptor.

The poor guy who bought it paid over $20k when you added up all the extras and financing. Problem was he did not tell his wife prior to the purchase. He rode the bike twice, put only 211 miles on it, then sold it to me for $11500.

After putting 7800 miles on it I just sold it this evening for $12k. Boy howdy this is a real first for me.

Ya know this feels pretty good and it still was a good deal for the new owner.

Here is a pic of the new happy camper with his daughter on the back.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5525.jpg (65.2 KB, 105 views)
quexpress and P.E. like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-05-2017, 04:45 AM

Garage
Those are nice no bikes, why did you sell?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-05-2017, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indelibility View Post
Those are nice no bikes, why did you sell?
I was looking to downsize to a lighter, shorter, cheaper to operate machine.

The KTM is an amazing bike but like any bike there are some issues.

Heat under the seat and on your legs is one. It's nice in the winter, you don't need seat heat. But in the summer it's a different story.

It's a pretty big and tall bike. Not easy to turn around in tight areas.

The Versys 650 is the perfect size for me.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-05-2017, 02:11 PM

Garage
Winner! Winner! Chicken Dinner! Sounds like everyone won except the guy that didn't tell his wife Wife lessons can be very expensive
hawkerjet likes this.

You will never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychologist office!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-09-2017, 05:31 PM

PR4s on a 1190 Adventure? Did it come that way or did you just decide it wasn't going off road? I know the 1090s and 1290s come with TKC 80s from the factory which gives an idea for their intended use haha.

I got lucky selling a bike once. I paid $500 for my first bike and sold it for $1500 to a guy 100 miles away.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-10-2017, 09:35 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvwbug View Post
PR4s on a 1190 Adventure? Did it come that way or did you just decide it wasn't going off road? I know the 1090s and 1290s come with TKC 80s from the factory which gives an idea for their intended use haha.

I got lucky selling a bike once. I paid $500 for my first bike and sold it for $1500 to a guy 100 miles away.
Since the 1190 was my street bike I installed the PR4's. No interest of going off road on such a big machine.

Riding sport bikes the last 10 years on the rough roads of Communist California plus old age has taken a toll on my back. I bought the 1190 mainly because of the plush ride on the rough roads.

The Versys falls somewhere in between the skate board stiff, rough ride of a sport bike and the magic carpet smooth float over the bumps ride of the 1190.

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-10-2017, 07:50 PM

Garage
Congrats. For years I searched for great deals on bikes. It allowed me to try different rides while building up my bike equity. During the recession the end of the last decade I started buying new leftover bikes or heavily discounted new bikes.

Now, I am thinking about retirement planning and have to decide what I want to carry into retirement so cost of ownership is becoming a big factor. Insurance, registration, maintenance, fuel economy. Am I still going to tour? Don't know.

Now I have a lot of bike equity, but it is harder to sell pricey bikes than $4000-$6000 bikes. My plan is to sell as I need to in hopes of keeping the addiction going as long as possible. If I reach a point that I can only afford a 25 year old bike so I can have the vintage tag that doesn't get renewed each year , I will still be happy to be in the wind.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-10-2017, 11:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
Congrats. For years I searched for great deals on bikes. It allowed me to try different rides while building up my bike equity. During the recession the end of the last decade I started buying new leftover bikes or heavily discounted new bikes.

Now, I am thinking about retirement planning and have to decide what I want to carry into retirement so cost of ownership is becoming a big factor. Insurance, registration, maintenance, fuel economy. Am I still going to tour? Don't know.

Now I have a lot of bike equity, but it is harder to sell pricey bikes than $4000-$6000 bikes. My plan is to sell as I need to in hopes of keeping the addiction going as long as possible. If I reach a point that I can only afford a 25 year old bike so I can have the vintage tag that doesn't get renewed each year , I will still be happy to be in the wind.
Sounds like a good plan. You are right about the more expensive bikes being harder to sell. This was a big factor in my decision to sell the 1190 before I racked up any more miles. I had it on Craigslist for a couple of months before I got a serious bite. I'm real happy to have it out of my garage before winter hits.
twowheeladdict likes this.

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode