Things I learned on my ride today.... - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Things I learned on my ride today....

So this morning I went on a three hour, 100 mile, journey through the hill country of Southwest Indiana. While on my ride I learned some important tips that I'm sure all of you experienced riders already knew, but since I only have 1000 miles on my V (my first bike) I hadn't thought of before.

- Don't forget you have a full face helmet on (with visor closed) and attempt to spit.

- Don't forget you have a full face helmet on (with visor closed) and attempt to sneeze (20 mins after learning the above item )

- The stock horn does NOTHING to scare off the two deer standing on the side of the road waiting to jump out in front of you.

- Fresh Chip N' Seal on back county roads was invented by the devil, or at least someone that has never ridden a motorcycle. I never went over 20mph and stopped twice to look at my tires thinking I had a flat.

- Third gear is my very bestest friend in twisties!

- The Versys was built to be ridden in the 6-8k rpm range.

- Slide forward in the seat two inches, lock your knees into the tank, and proceed to demolish those twisties with a vengeance.

Just some stuff I learned today!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

May the road always curve in front of you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 11:12 AM
Super Moderator

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 11:46 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Done the sneeze in the helmet but never the spit haha.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 11:55 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
And no matter what, keep your cool if or when a wasp flies up under the helmet lip and gets tangled up in your beard (beard is optional). I wonder how I know that?

Part two goes as follows: if you wear a modular helmet, know precisely where the chin bar release is located. Open same and turn head hard right or left to send wasp on its way - preferrably with stinger intact.

Wasps apparently don't like motorcycles and become pretty irate when trapped on one.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 12:03 PM

Sounds like a good day at school.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 12:09 PM Thread Starter

Oh thought of another.

- With a quick twist of the wrist you really don't need much distance at all in the passing zone to get around slower moving traffic. Keep the revs around 6k and you have an instant 30mph boost of speed waiting in the wings to be called into service at a moment's notice.

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 01:00 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi 41 View Post
MANY years ago a bunch of us were at an A&W for a burger, after an evening drinking beer and telling lies. Fellow who's car we were in had washed and detailed it to a HIGH standard, so the glass was transparent. Guy in the front right seat cleared his throat, turned right and "horbed" a 'greenie' through what he thought was the open window....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 01:50 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi 41 View Post
Ditto

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 04:33 PM

few things I have learned while riding:

burping while wearing a closed full face helmet, very very bad thing, especially after eating something with a strong return odor

the smell of a dead skunk is bad in a car, on a motorcycle, it's horrendous

waste water treatment plants, bad things on hot days on a motorcycle

trash trucks, bad things to follow on a hot day on motorcycle

asphalt snakes, very very bad creatures

'09 Candy Plasma Blue Versys 650 (the fastest color)
Givi DS 450 Windshield
SW motech engine guards
HT Teton Panniers
Acerbis handguards
Avon Distanzia tires
Garmin Zumo 665
dual power usb/12v plug
Givi trunk on custom mount

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 05:10 PM

Good lists but add feed lots and chicken/egg farms as places to avoid on hot or cold days.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zatx View Post

- Slide forward in the seat two inches, lock your knees into the tank, and proceed to demolish those twisties with a vengeance.
Funny you mention that, but I recently discovered too(on my 4500 mile trip I just finished) that the Versys is very nicely built for that sliding forward and then jamming your knee into the tank which in turn pushes your feet on the pegs. It's a riding posture that enables you to feel absolutely EVERYTHING the bike does!

(Also, I got a Stebel Nautilus and I love it. Deer and soccer mom alike notice it very very much).
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 05:42 PM

Here's a few-
It's not always a good idea to try to keep up with your buddy's ZX1000. Bad things can happen...
If you see deer, speed up, it gives them less time to try to run into you.
Always carry some TP or paper towel under the seat. ALWAYS...

'89 yz 80
'96 cr 80
'99 kx 125
'09 Versys
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 09:29 PM

Quick Tip

Rocks, gravel, dirt, sand, whatever in the oncoming lane can help indicate the road surface on the other side of a blind hill before reaching the top of the hill.

Ill post a pic later- pavement up to the top of the hill, train track at the top, then ggravel on the other side.

Ride safe fellas and ladies

Last edited by NesquikNinja; 07-29-2012 at 07:14 PM.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 09:53 PM

Soo other than the full face helmet and gravel road,

RIDE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!

David
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Oh thought of another.

- With a quick twist of the wrist you really don't need much distance at all in the passing zone to get around slower moving traffic. Keep the revs around 6k and you have an instant 30mph boost of speed waiting in the wings to be called into service at a moment's notice.
dude, do you live in orange county, NY? that picture in your sig is rt 218, better known as, "the old mountain" if that's a random find of some twisties, then that's pretty damn cool...

post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 08:23 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofnothing View Post
dude, do you live in orange county, NY? that picture in your sig is rt 218, better known as, "the old mountain" if that's a random find of some twisties, then that's pretty damn cool...
Random google image I found. Thanks for letting me know where it is. I've been pretty curious about that!

post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Slide forward in the seat two inches, lock your knees into the tank, and proceed to demolish those twisties with a vengeance.
Interesting, I do the exact opposite. I tend to slight my butt backwards so I can turn my hips into the corner which helps turn my shoulders and my knee just drops into the corner.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode