Crash report - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 01:01 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Crash report

Hi guys,

Got into a crash yesterday. I'm okay except for some road rash on my butt and left knee (stupid me didn't wear my kevlar jeans), now it's time to do a lot of paperwork. Here's the video:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/YUuIRoKPjw3DMRMM2

I mostly wanted to solicit feedback on insurance, healthcare and whatever else you have gone through during accidents that you think would have been helpful to know. I have full insurance with medical coverage from Progressive and health insurance through my wife's work.

Regarding the bike, I don't really know the status of it right now. One of my buddies rode it back to his place and said he didn't see anything obvious, but obviously mechanical damage isn't always clear.

As far as what caused the crash, I underestimated the torque on the Versys and don't have any experience with wheelies. When the wheel kicked up going over the hill I didn't know how to control it, panicked and hit the throttle harder by reflex. I didn't think it would wheelie in third gear, but I was also almost at the torque peak (7250 on the 2012 V according to a Google search).

Now I'm off to the dermatologist. Thanks for any advice you have, and I'm definitely a born-again believer in ATGATT.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 01:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
That was hard to watch, but thanks for posting.
aemacleod likes this.
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 02:53 PM

Glad you were able to walk away relatively ok.
aemacleod likes this.

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 03:05 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
if that happens again (or you want to wheelie on purpose ) use the rear brake to bring the front end back down ( thats why you see a extra rear brake next to the clutch lever on stunt bikes)
aemacleod likes this.

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 03:30 PM

Garage
Wow that sucks! Glad your OK. Thanks for sharing. I have the same exact bike. So when you were at the peak of the hill, that's when the wheel lifted?? And you were in 3rd gear?? I knew this bike had some torque so I'm trying to understand this so I don't do the same thing!
aemacleod likes this.

You will never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychologist office!
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 03:50 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I had the same thing happen to me leaving from a traffic light: accelerate hard, second, and with a bump (same as your bump) the front went up very easy.
I used the brake and the front came back down, but I see how it can happen very fast with a bump.
Glad you're ok!
aemacleod likes this.

Versys 2015 Green
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 04:25 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
if that happens again (or you want to wheelie on purpose ) use the rear brake to bring the front end back down ( thats why you see a extra rear brake next to the clutch lever on stunt bikes)
Thanks! I didn't know I'd ever need to know this, but I guess it's better to learn it late than never.
silviefox likes this.
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 05:07 PM

Garage
That was a wicked crash, glad you walked it off.

As far as insurance, get yourself checked out. If you feel fine and the bike is fine, replace the cheap stuff and move on.

If you're banged up and the bike is as well, open a claim. The process is just like with a car. Document the medical bills, have the insurance rep give an estimate of the damage. Take it too a shop and get the repairs done. Most insurance companies also cover your gear and accessories on the bike.
aemacleod likes this.
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 06:08 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Stuff happens when you ride aggressively. Glad you only lost some skin. I don't always wear ATGATT, but I do when I am riding aggressively. Or maybe I ride aggressively when I am wearing ATG. I maybe I ride cautiously when I am not wearing ATG. Hard to say.

Heal up, fix the bike, and learn from this.
aemacleod likes this.

My Versys Travels:

post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 06:58 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Glad your OK.

Not sure if it would have helped but I would consider tweaking your suspension preload and rebound damping. There is a lot of adjustment range in the Versys suspension and there are big improvements to be had in control ability and handling to be had if you are over the 150lb default weight with gear.
aemacleod likes this.

Last edited by twowheels; 10-02-2017 at 11:16 PM.
post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 07:57 PM

Progressive was great when I totaled my Speed Triple last summer. I crashed on Wednesday and had a check for the NADA retail value and almost $2K for the gear I was wearing on Monday. The medical took longer to close, but they paid everything billed to them promptly. They also have accident forgiveness if you haven't had a claim in five years.
aemacleod likes this.
post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 08:17 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by timster View Post
Wow that sucks! Glad your OK. Thanks for sharing. I have the same exact bike. So when you were at the peak of the hill, that's when the wheel lifted?? And you were in 3rd gear?? I knew this bike had some torque so I'm trying to understand this so I don't do the same thing!
I think so. Talking with friends, it also looks like it went really suspiciously fast to the right, so maybe there was some gravel involved as well. If I had hit the rear brake (as Silviefox mentioned) or let the throttle go I probably would have kept going. As Chid mentioned a similar experience, it definitely seems like something to be aware of with the V. I've got a lot more respect for this beast of ours.
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indelibility View Post
That was a wicked crash, glad you walked it off.

As far as insurance, get yourself checked out. If you feel fine and the bike is fine, replace the cheap stuff and move on.

If you're banged up and the bike is as well, open a claim. The process is just like with a car. Document the medical bills, have the insurance rep give an estimate of the damage. Take it too a shop and get the repairs done. Most insurance companies also cover your gear and accessories on the bike.
I will definitely be doing a claim because I hadn't put any frame sliders etc. on the bike yet and because they took me to the emergency room for the road rash. Ambulance rides are not cheap. The whole right side of the bike is messed up, fairings cracked, signal gone, right peg and license plate holder flew off, signals bent, top case is wrecked, just about what you'd expect from a crash like that. Don't know about engine and frame, but definitely going to get it checked out.

I'm really really grateful that I didn't go stingy on the insurance right now.
post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 08:25 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowIsSmooth View Post
Progressive was great when I totaled my Speed Triple last summer. I crashed on Wednesday and had a check for the NADA retail value and almost $2K for the gear I was wearing on Monday. The medical took longer to close, but they paid everything billed to them promptly. They also have accident forgiveness if you haven't had a claim in five years.
Really glad to hear that. I'm going to give them a call in a little bit and get that ball rolling. Fingers crossed!
post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 08:33 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by aemacleod View Post
I will definitely be doing a claim because I hadn't put any frame sliders etc. on the bike yet and because they took me to the emergency room for the road rash. Ambulance rides are not cheap. The whole right side of the bike is messed up, fairings cracked, signal gone, right peg and license plate holder flew off, signals bent, top case is wrecked, just about what you'd expect from a crash like that. Don't know about engine and frame, but definitely going to get it checked out.

I'm really really grateful that I didn't go stingy on the insurance right now.

Glad you okay....File a claim those plastics aren't cheap. I just got doored recently and with the parts and labor it was almost 4 grand...
aemacleod likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #16 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 11:44 PM
Super Moderator

Glad you are okay and that's what matters most.

ATGATT.
aemacleod likes this.
post #17 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-03-2017, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Glad you okay....File a claim those plastics aren't cheap. I just got doored recently and with the parts and labor it was almost 4 grand...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkiUZ2GGL34
Wow glad you were not hurt.

Also glad cool heads prevailed. When you first got off the ground I was thinking this is not going to end well. Like missing front teeth or worse.

I do a bit of lane splitting too. This kind of stuff is always in the back of my mind.

Ride safe.
weljo2001 and aemacleod like this.
post #18 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-03-2017, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Glad you okay....File a claim those plastics aren't cheap. I just got doored recently and with the parts and labor it was almost 4 grand...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkiUZ2GGL34
That's the 650 you're riding, right? If the plastics are 4k with parts and labor, wouldn't that put it in the 50% of NADA / totaled territory?
post #19 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-03-2017, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
Glad your OK.

Not sure if it would have helped but I would consider tweaking your suspension preload and rebound damping. There is a lot of adjustment range in the Versys suspension and there are big improvements to be had in control ability and handling to be had if you are over the 150lb default weight with gear.
Yeah, this is something I had been meaning to do. I know the front seemed a little mushy in stop and go traffic on stock settings, so I wanted to tighten that up. I weigh about 200 naked, so it's definitely something to think about.
post #20 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-03-2017, 11:14 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by aemacleod View Post
That's the 650 you're riding, right? If the plastics are 4k with parts and labor, wouldn't that put it in the 50% of NADA / totaled territory?

I have the V-1000
aemacleod likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode