New Owner hates this bike! - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 76 (permalink) Old 10-01-2017, 06:05 AM Thread Starter

New Owner hates this bike!

Well, 600 miles and I can honestly say, I do not like my new Versys 650 LT. I took a 400 mile hill country ride yesterday in Texas and by the end of the ride, I was so disappointed, I called my dealer and started talking about my options. I should have researched engine types I guess, because this bike is so jerky compared to my other bikes. I've had Vstroms and most recently a Concours 14. When I let off the gas at speed, it throws me forward. The low end acceleration, especially in 1st gear is so touchy, I just do not feel comfortable with it. The seat seems to be shoving me forward also.

If you live near Austin and want a brand new Versys with 600 miles on it , let me know.

I think I am going to trade it in or sell it and get a FJR 1300. Anybody else have this experience or ways for me to salvage this bike?

Thanks, Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 76 (permalink) Old 10-01-2017, 08:38 AM
Super Moderator

Seat / Common complaint

What you say isn't anything new, I modded my seat, many have raised the front. As to jerky, 90% of the problems are the fact the bike isn't set up right by the dealer. I rode with a guy with a identical 2015 as my bike, we stopped for coffee. Just while waiting for the rest of the group to finish we went over to his bike. I grabbed the throttle and tried it, my first question was how the h**L do you ride this bike, there was close to over a 1/4 inch of slack in the throttle cables. It took me about 1 minute to set the throttle up. Second thing is you need to set sag and rebound, basically adjust the suspension to match your weight and how you want it to respond. My first 07 Versys I felt the same as you, within 3 months this thing went from a POS to a awesome bike. Some was TPS setting some the Corbin seat I put on etc., frankly very little is done correctly by the dealer.

What some people find is the bike is like a wild horse to some, once you tame it you really do have something. Some really excellent advice available on this forum, an example of that is the post below. bwwoodard
Urbanengineer and Gangles like this.

Last edited by onewizard; 10-01-2017 at 09:13 AM.
post #3 of 76 (permalink) Old 10-01-2017, 09:05 AM

Welcome!

My suggestion (especially since you now own it) is it to try to improve the experience that you shared. However, something to keep in mind is that this is a parallel twin and not an inline 4. That's not to say that a twin can't be relatively smooth, but the firing characteristics/compression/timing do tend give the motor a bit of a "thump".

You mention it's jerky, so I assume the engine is running as it should without missing or sputtering. Please share if it's not. You are correct about 1st gear-- it is geared pretty low (a stump puller in off road terms) and is more sensitive to throttle input.

Here's where I'd start, if it were mine. I'd mention it to my dealer to get their feedback, then would consider the following.

1. check slack in throttle cables and adjust to spec if needed

2. check slack in chain and adjust to spec if needed

3. ask the dealer if they would check/sync throttle bodies (TPS) to spec

4. change my sprocket gearing (increase teeth up front or decrease teeth in rear)

After I did these things, I'd reevaluate.

I recently rode a friend's GSXS 750 and had a similar experience. I checked the chain and it was way out of spec, on the loose side. An adjustment really helped with the abrupt on/off throttle transition. So, my point is to consider giving it a chance. In the end, it may or may not be the bike for you but addressing a few things just may help transition the bike. Also, I might try reducing my rpms or ride in a taller gear when traffic flow and circumstances safely allowed.

Good luck with your decision! Keep us posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bneedles View Post
Well, 600 miles and I can honestly say, I do not like my new Versys 650 LT. I took a 400 mile hill country ride yesterday in Texas and by the end of the ride, I was so disappointed, I called my dealer and started talking about my options. I should have researched engine types I guess, because this bike is so jerky compared to my other bikes. I've had Vstroms and most recently a Concours 14. When I let off the gas at speed, it throws me forward. The low end acceleration, especially in 1st gear is so touchy, I just do not feel comfortable with it. The seat seems to be shoving me forward also.

If you live near Austin and want a brand new Versys with 600 miles on it , let me know.

I think I am going to trade it in or sell it and get a FJR 1300. Anybody else have this experience or ways for me to salvage this bike?

Thanks, Bill

Last edited by bwwoodard; 10-01-2017 at 12:16 PM.

post #4 of 76 (permalink) Old 10-01-2017, 09:50 AM

Bill hold the phone. Don't sell the bike yet.

The guys are giving you good advice but there is something coming that they don't know about.

You said you had a Connie 14 and so did I. I was a bit disappointed at the low end engine performance and guys on the forum were talking about this tuner in Florida who had developed a flash for the Connie that totally woke up the bottom end, plus mid and top end. The HP gain was amazing 14hp on the dyno runs.

So I shipped off my ECU and when I got it back and went for a ride it was a completely different bike. All I could say was wow!

Now fast forward to now. I recently bought a used 2015 Versys 650 and have to say I absolutely love this little green machine. Coming from liter bikes and bigger of course it has way less arm stretching power. But it still goes pretty good. Concerning abrupt throttle response my Versys is very smooth. Take a ride on a first generation FZ09. I bought a new one in 2014. That bike wrote the book on the abrupt throttle.

Back to the Versys. I contacted a couple of very popular engine tuners to see if they had a flash for the Versys 650 and nobody does. Then I remembered the guy in Florida who did my Connie 14. You won't believe this. He recently bought a green 2015 Versys 650 just like mine so he could develop a flash for it. He is currently in the process of doing just that.

So before you give your machine the boot, hang in there as there is help on the way.

The guys name is Steve. Here is a link to his business. https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/

If his 650 flash is half as good as the one he did for the Connie 14 it will be a real winner.

Good luck.
post #5 of 76 (permalink) Old 10-01-2017, 10:00 AM
Super Moderator

And Now a Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkerjet View Post

The guys are giving you good advice but there is something coming that they don't know about.

You said you had a Connie 14 and so did I. I was a bit disappointed at the low end engine performance and guys on the forum were talking about this tuner in Florida who had developed a flash for the Connie that totally woke up the bottom end, plus mid and top end. The HP gain was amazing 14hp on the dyno runs.

So I shipped off my ECU and when I got it back and went for a ride it was a completely different bike. All I could say was wow!

Now fast forward to now. I recently bought a used 2015 Versys 650 and have to say I absolutely love this little green machine. Coming from liter bikes and bigger of course it has way less arm stretching power. But it still goes pretty good. Concerning abrupt throttle response my Versys is very smooth. Take a ride on a first generation FZ09. I bought a new one in 2014. That bike wrote the book on the abrupt throttle.

Back to the Versys. I contacted a couple of very popular engine tuners to see if they had a flash for the Versys 650 and nobody does. Then I remembered the guy in Florida who did my Connie 14. You won't believe this. He recently bought a green 2015 Versys 650 just like mine so he could develop a flash for it. He is currently in the process of doing just that.

So before you give your machine the boot, hang in there as there is help on the way.

The guys name is Steve. Here is a link to his business. https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/

If his 650 flash is half as good as the one he did for the Connie 14 it will be a real winner.

Good luck.
And like the title , he is a member that has contributed some excellent advice in the How To forum, a asset to the forum.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ur-v-runs.html
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...53-post34.html
hawkerjet likes this.

Last edited by onewizard; 10-01-2017 at 10:06 AM.
post #6 of 76 (permalink) Old 10-01-2017, 11:35 AM

When I bought my 15" Versys 650 LT I thought much as you do...........but I've had enough bikes to know there isn't a "perfect" bike. With some throttle cable adjustment, ergo adjustments (bar grips, bar risers, etc.), chain adjustment, suspension adjustment and some seat mods it is now a pretty nice bike. I did over 4500 miles in about a month this last summer (SD, MT, ID, BC and back to SD, then CO and back to SD). Except for wearing out the rear tire all was well. Comfortable and I had no problem keeping up with 1600 cc Nomads.

I switched from a 1500 Vulcan Classic (all bagged out) and the only thing I miss is the cruiser "loaf". Nothing sounds quite like a big v-twin with nice pipes at 70 mph.
Pipertom likes this.
post #7 of 76 (permalink) Old 10-01-2017, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwwoodard View Post
Welcome!

My suggestion (especially since you now own it) is it to try to improve the experience that you shared. However, something to keep in mind is that this is a parallel twin and not an inline 4. That's not to say that a twin can't be relatively smooth, but the firing characteristics/compression/timing do tend give the motor a bit of a "thump".

You mention it's jerky, so I assume the engine is running as it should without missing or sputtering. Please share if it's not. You are correct about 1st gear-- it is geared pretty low (a stump puller in off road terms) and is more sensitive to throttle input.

Here's where I'd start, if it were mine. I'd mention it to my dealer to get their feedback, then would consider the following.

1. check slack in throttle cables and adjust to spec if needed

2. check slack in chain and adjust to spec if needed

3. ask the dealer if they would check/sync throttle bodies (TPS) to spec

4. change my sprocket gearing (increase teeth up front or decrease teeth in rear)

After I did these things, I'd reevaluate.

I recently rode a friend's GSXS 750 and had a similar experience. I checked the chain and it was way out of spec, on the loose side. An adjustment really helped with the abrupt on/off throttle transition. So, my point is to consider giving it a chance. In the end, it may or may not be the bike for you but addressing a few things just may help transition the bike. Also, I might try reducing my rpms or ride in a taller gear when traffic flow and circumstances safely allowed.

Good luck with your decision! Keep us posted.
I also was a little concerned when I first go my 2016 as well until I did both #1 and #4 above. Increasing the front sprocket by one tooth had a DRAMATIC effect on the extreme engine braking, making first gear much more usable, as well as moving the cruising rpms to a more comfortable range. Also as the engine loosens up, about a 1000 miles, engine braking and snatching, lessens as well.

Lifting the front of the seat with $2.00 worth of washers fixed the seat for me as well.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ift-mod-3.html

Love my bike now! Good luck!
post #8 of 76 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 06:29 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the great replies. I will have the dealer check the list above during the 600 mile service. Does someone have a source for the larger front sprocket listed as a solution to the extreme engine braking I am experiencing? Thanks, Bill
post #9 of 76 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 06:46 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Thanks for the great replies. I will have the dealer check the list above during the 600 mile service. Does someone have a source for the larger front sprocket listed as a solution to the extreme engine braking I am experiencing? Thanks, Bill
13144-0038 is the correct Kawasaki part # for the 16 tooth rubber dampened sprocket. I had that on my 07, FYI there is about 0.015 inch clearance, yes about 15 thousands of a inch. I put on 28,000 KM with it, then sold the bike and sprocket.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...6+tooth+rubber
post #10 of 76 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 06:55 AM

Garage
Quote:
I found going to a smaller rear sprocket was an easier mod. Dropped from the stock 46 to 43 and the bike feels perfect. 5,600 rpm at 75 mph, no more hard engine braking, and useable 1st and 2nd around town.
onewizard and StormRider like this.
post #11 of 76 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 07:43 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indelibility View Post
I found going to a smaller rear sprocket was an easier mod. Dropped from the stock 46 to 43 and the bike feels perfect. 5,600 rpm at 75 mph, no more hard engine braking, and usable 1st and 2nd around town.
On the up side , the rear is already rubber dampened, any steel sprocket designed to fit will work, however you will run out of slack chain adjustment sooner, and if I was to do it again, that is the way I would go. Going the 16T route you get a horse power per tooth gain, that is the torque is spread over 16 teeth and in reality this change is a 6% torque reduction, so your chain will last longer , theoretically .
post #12 of 76 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indelibility View Post
I found going to a smaller rear sprocket was an easier mod. Dropped from the stock 46 to 43 and the bike feels perfect. 5,600 rpm at 75 mph, no more hard engine braking, and useable 1st and 2nd around town.
Same here! I went to a 44T sprocket and am very happy with the results (speedometer is now very close to accurate, 500 RPM lower revs at given speeds, great on the highway, no need to change from 1st to 2nd when leaving intersections, etc.).

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.
post #13 of 76 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 11:25 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
...Does someone have a source for the larger front sprocket listed as a solution to the extreme engine braking I am experiencing? Thanks, Bill
I think you'll find things "taming-down" w/ regards 'engine-braking' as you break it in! My '15 650 has NO issues w/ engine-braking (don't even remember any!), and I'm NOW at 50,xxx kms...!
StormRider likes this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #14 of 76 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 11:59 AM

Garage
Don't you people test ride bikes before you buy them? I thought I was going to replace my Ninja 650r with a Ninja 1000 until I test rode a new '11. What a buzzy bike! Then I test rode the Concours and saw it as a distance bike only (added one in '12 and rode it 30,000 miles and 24 states). Then I rode the '11 Versys 650 and I couldn't wipe the grin off my face. Effortlessly wheelied in 1st gear, great engine braking, quick and agile handling. Awesome bike! On long rides I didn't like how the seat locked me in one place, but the forward slope went well with my riding style.

Of course most OEM seats are only good for short rides and good looks in the showroom. A RDL seat would never fly at an industry motorcycle show.

I rode the Versys 30,000 miles and never even considered changing the gearing. It was perfectly matched to the type of bike Kawasaki created.

My Versys Travels:

post #15 of 76 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 08:25 PM

Not many dealerships allow test rides -- at least the Japanese bikes in my area of central Florida.

BMW? Yes.
Harley? Yes.
Triumph? Yes.
Ducati? Yes.
Yamaha? No.
Honda? No.
Kawasaki? No.
Suzuki? No.

I should qualify that all of those non-Japanese bikes are $10k+ and the Japanese bikes are below $10k; this my personal experience over the years. Admittedly I never pushed it with the Japanese bike dealerships.

aemacleod likes this.

2017 Versys 650 LT -- Titanium
Debadged, Moto Werk lowering kit, slimmed down OEM seat, Shad SH33 top case, Scorpion Serket Taper exhaust, Moto Werk 1" risers, Grab On grip covers
post #16 of 76 (permalink) Old 10-03-2017, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
Don't you people test ride bikes before you buy them? I thought I was going to replace my Ninja 650r with a Ninja 1000 until I test rode a new '11. What a buzzy bike! Then I test rode the Concours and saw it as a distance bike only (added one in '12 and rode it 30,000 miles and 24 states). Then I rode the '11 Versys 650 and I couldn't wipe the grin off my face. Effortlessly wheelied in 1st gear, great engine braking, quick and agile handling. Awesome bike! On long rides I didn't like how the seat locked me in one place, but the forward slope went well with my riding style.

Of course most OEM seats are only good for short rides and good looks in the showroom. A RDL seat would never fly at an industry motorcycle show.

I rode the Versys 30,000 miles and never even considered changing the gearing. It was perfectly matched to the type of bike Kawasaki created.
Hey we have a lot in common. I too had a 2011 Ninja 1000. Yep it was quite "buzzy". A couple of years later I picked up a used 2012 Connie 14. A few bikes later I got my 2015 Versys 650 and absolutely love this little vertical twin.

I too like the standard gearing on the V650. And love the handling too but am anal when it comes to suspension. Recently added a new Nitron shock to tame the rear end. Next going to do some work on the shim stack in the right fork to soften the harshness over the big square edged bumps.
post #17 of 76 (permalink) Old 10-03-2017, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkerjet View Post

Good luck.
An ECU flash might be interesting. It would be more reliable than running an aftermarket fuel controler. My guess is that there are less gains to be had though.
post #18 of 76 (permalink) Old 10-03-2017, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 407guy View Post
Not many dealerships allow test rides -- at least the Japanese bikes in my area of central Florida.

BMW? Yes.
Harley? Yes.
Triumph? Yes.
Ducati? Yes.
Yamaha? No.
Honda? No.
Kawasaki? No.
Suzuki? No.

I should qualify that all of those non-Japanese bikes are $10k+ and the Japanese bikes are below $10k; this my personal experience over the years. Admittedly I never pushed it with the Japanese bike dealerships.

That's been my experience too. However, I know that Kawasaki and Yamaha have a demo fleet they truck around the USA, if you're lucky enough to live in an area where they come by you can get a chance to test ride one of their bikes. Look for motorcycle events like Americade, Laconia Motorcycle Week, Daytona Motorcycle Week, etc... as most the manufacturers have their demo fleets there as well. The toughest brand to find test rides for me has always been Honda.

post #19 of 76 (permalink) Old 10-03-2017, 11:50 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 407guy View Post

BMW? Yes.
Harley? Yes.
Triumph? Yes.
Ducati? Yes.
Yamaha? No.
Honda? No.
Kawasaki? No.
Suzuki? No.

Here in BC I've had test-rides on Yamaha, Suzuki, KTM, Honda and Kawasaki this season.

I could have tested Harleys... but WHO wants to...? (I have quite a few "Harley-hours" in my past.)

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #20 of 76 (permalink) Old 10-03-2017, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
I could have tested Harleys... but WHO wants to...? (I have quite a few "Harley-hours" in my past.)
I took a few Harley's out for a test ride last year (a first for me) and really got a kick out of the Roadster model.

It's not fast, doesn't really handle well and the brakes are so-so but it was fun to ride and turn into a corner. The other one's I tried didn't really leave an impression on me.

Sorry for the thread hijack.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode