5Likes
  • 1 Post By SlowIsSmooth
  • 2 Post By weljo2001
  • 1 Post By twowheeladdict
  • 1 Post By twowheeladdict

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-30-2017, 09:51 AM Thread Starter

Oil gets dirty looking fast

Thought I saw someone on the forum mention this.

After changing the oil and filter the oil starts looking dirty in the window pretty quickly like 500 miles or so.

Has anybody else noticed this on their 650 or am I the odd man out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-30-2017, 10:20 AM

All vehicles. Diesels are black as sin 5 minutes after you change the oil and let it run!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-30-2017, 11:43 AM

A quality oil that does a good job of cleaning and holding particles in suspension will look dirtier, faster than a lesser quality lube. I doubt it has anything to do with the engine its in. Oil color isn't anything to worry about.
Urbanengineer likes this.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-30-2017, 12:24 PM Thread Starter

I have a 2015 KTM 1190 Adventure with 8k miles on it. Use same oil as the Versys.

At 1k miles after oil change the KTM oil is still very clear and color is only slightly darker.

Versys 1k after oil change looks pretty dirty and zero golden color left. Versys has 12k miles on it.

Castrol 06112 Power1 10W-40 Synthetic 4T Motorcycle Oil. This is the oil I use.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-30-2017, 12:53 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkerjet View Post
Thought I saw someone on the forum mention this.

After changing the oil and filter the oil starts looking dirty in the window pretty quickly like 500 miles or so.

Has anybody else noticed this on their 650 or am I the odd man out?

Same thing on my old 09 Versys and i used Amsoil 10w40 in it.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-30-2017, 08:36 PM Thread Starter

Here are pics of the KTM and Versys oil displays.

Both have about 1k miles after the oil and filter changes.

As you can see the Versys looks much darker than the KTM.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5517.jpg (50.3 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5516.jpg (54.4 KB, 46 views)
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-30-2017, 09:09 PM

Garage
Quote:

I would bet you a dollar that the KTM drains better and the Versys keeps more old oil when drained...

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-30-2017, 11:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
I would bet you a dollar that the KTM drains better and the Versys keeps more old oil when drained...
Perhaps except when I change oil and filter the book says it should take 1.9 quarts.

I lean the bike back and forth and take my time to drain out as much oil as possible then it takes around 2.25 quarts to refill to between lines.

Published capacity of the motor is 2.4 quarts. So if I am putting back 2.25 quarts that would mean about 4 to 5 ounces would remain after draining.

Probably over thinking this. Was just curious if others experienced the oil quick to look dirty.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-01-2017, 02:29 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

"Apples-and-oranges".... The Katoom has a REFLECTIVE background while the Versys has an overall LIGHT grey one, w/ a deep stripe down the center. Betcha that they would be VERY similar against the SAME background...!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-01-2017, 06:42 PM

Garage
People that take care of the Kawasaki 650 engines routinely make it to 100,000 miles. If you are worried that the previous owner didn't maintain it well, change the oil and filter more often.
Urbanengineer likes this.

My Versys Travels:

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-01-2017, 10:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
"Apples-and-oranges".... The Katoom has a REFLECTIVE background while the Versys has an overall LIGHT grey one, w/ a deep stripe down the center. Betcha that they would be VERY similar against the SAME background...!
I was thinking that this was a possibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
People that take care of the Kawasaki 650 engines routinely make it to 100,000 miles. If you are worried that the previous owner didn't maintain it well, change the oil and filter more often.
Yea I am aware that the little vertical twin is a super reliable motor and that was a big factor in going with one. I have the service records of the previous owner and he had regular oil and filter changes done.

I'm not worried but just curious if the dirty looking oil syndrome was normal across the board with owners.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 06:40 AM

Garage
Quote:
Yea I am aware that the little vertical twin is a super reliable motor and that was a big factor in going with one. I have the service records of the previous owner and he had regular oil and filter changes done.

I'm not worried but just curious if the dirty looking oil syndrome was normal across the board with owners.
To tell you the truth, I have had so many bikes that I don't recall if the Versys looked darker than others, but I will say that it didn't bother me because I knew I was keeping up with the regular maintenance and I probably liked if it was a little darker because it would be easier and quicker to assess the oil level when doing a pre-ride check. I do recall my KLX250S is difficult to check because the oil stays clear, but I change it every 1000 miles because that equates to once a year.
hawkerjet likes this.

My Versys Travels:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode