4Likes
  • 1 Post By onewizard
  • 1 Post By SlowIsSmooth
  • 1 Post By twowheeladdict
  • 1 Post By SlowIsSmooth

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-30-2017, 09:50 AM Thread Starter

Dealer Service Costs

I was at the dealer yesterday from whom I bought my bike last fall. I stopped at the service counter on my way out and asked what it would cost to have them do the 15.2K mile service. After a few minutes on the computer he said it would be about $1K. Now, I haven't had anyone else work on my bikes for quite a few years, but that seemed way too high. I'm going to do the service myself so I just thanked him and left.

The more I thought about the amount he quoted me, I thought there was just no way it could be right. I called two other Kawasaki dealers in the area and they quoted $450.00. I confirmed they were both including the valve check. I called back the first dealer and told him about the discrepancy in the quotes and asked him to check again. He confirmed their charge would be $1K.

If I was going to pay that much for service anyway, I would have bought something much more exotic than a V.

Which quote sounds right to you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-30-2017, 10:49 AM

Garage
$450 sounds right, I don't even pay a grand to have my Triumph fully serviced
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-01-2017, 09:36 AM
Super Moderator

FYI / Valve shim check

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowIsSmooth View Post
I was at the dealer yesterday from whom I bought my bike last fall. I stopped at the service counter on my way out and asked what it would cost to have them do the 15.2K mile service. After a few minutes on the computer he said it would be about $1K. Now, I haven't had anyone else work on my bikes for quite a few years, but that seemed way too high. I'm going to do the service myself so I just thanked him and left.

The more I thought about the amount he quoted me, I thought there was just no way it could be right. I called two other Kawasaki dealers in the area and they quoted $450.00. I confirmed they were both including the valve check. I called back the first dealer and told him about the discrepancy in the quotes and asked him to check again. He confirmed their charge would be $1K.

If I was going to pay that much for service anyway, I would have bought something much more exotic than a V.

Which quote sounds right to you?
There has been much discussion on this subject. To sum it up, this is the most expensive service , unless you destroy the motor, such as have the chain break and damage the countershaft sprocket housing, destroy some gears.
If the service is done correctly, that is, it is found you have some tight valves or some that just meet spec, the proper thing is to adjust all the valves towards the loose side, record all the measurements for each valve before service and after. If you have a mechanic that does what I just said, and for under $600 Canadian, don't tell anyone else because there will be a line up to get your bike in next time.And to be clear, I would expect to pay closer to $750 -$900 Canadian , that is why we have some excellent threads in How To.
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...onewizard.html
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...djustment.html
quexpress likes this.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-01-2017, 05:37 PM Thread Starter

I'm sure the estimates just included checking the valves and the price would go up if they had to be adjusted. The valve check service on my Triumph Trophy is less expensive than the $1K quoted for the Versys by the one Kawasaki dealer. There is no way possible the Versys requires more labor than the Trophy. I'll bet their software is over charging labor, such as charging to remove the body work and gas tank for multiple maintenance items.

Like I said, I've been doing my own work for sometime now, every since a Triumph dealer did a crappy job servicing my old Tiger 1050. I recall that service was $650.00 including the valve check. If I was going to pay $1K, it would be for a Ducati or an MV. But not a damn Kawasaki.
turn8a likes this.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-01-2017, 06:37 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowIsSmooth View Post
If I was going to pay $1K, it would be for a Ducati or an MV. But not a damn Kawasaki.
Are you saying those bikes are worth $1000 service prices, but the Kawasaki isn't? You do know this a Kawasaki forum, right?
onewizard likes this.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-01-2017, 09:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
Are you saying those bikes are worth $1000 service prices, but the Kawasaki isn't? You do know this a Kawasaki forum, right?
Oh no, they aren't worth it either. At least to me. But if I was going to pay that, it would have to be for something more exotic than a run of the mill Japanese bike.

My point is that I find it curious one Kawasaki dealer wants over twice what the other local Kawasaki dealers charge for the same service. I've bought several bikes from this dealership, including one used bike they went well above and beyond to stand behind when they didn't have to, so I know they are an honest shop. And I know their service department stays busy, but the service writer I spoke with mentioned he had never seen a Versys in for service. I think there must be some sort of glitch with their software pertaining to the Versys, because if they were 2x higher than everyone else on everything, they wouldn't do any service business at all. In the end, they are aware of the discrepancy, and I'm not paying them $1K or $450 to do something I can do for myself anyway.
turn8a likes this.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-01-2017, 09:19 PM

I've seen a few dealers with much higher than normal labor charges. The Kawasaki shop local to me charges almost 3 times the labor for tire replacement (200 + shop supplies for two tires) when compared to one that is only about 50 miles away (around 80 for two tires). Same 200 dollar shop discounts to 120 if you buy the tires from them (at probably 100 over revzilla price). Could be worse, could be the $3500 valve adjustment that the Panigale needs every 7500 miles.

I always found the labor cost on motorcycle tire replacement to be outrageous. Labor on car tires is a lot less even though it is for twice as many tires and more work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode