• 2 Post By nayr14
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 1 Post By onewizard
  • 1 Post By Naitramde
  • 1 Post By MMStingray

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-29-2017, 06:44 PM Thread Starter

15+ Oxford Heated Grips

I put on Oxford Adventure heated grips last night. I read/watch conflicting information on how difficult it was to install.

It was a lot easier than I thought. I used compressed air to lift the grips off both sides, no cutting required. The clutch was very easy, took less than a minute. The throttle took a minute or two because there is a stickier glue, but it still came off easily. I highly recommend using compressed air!

I used my finger to rub off the glue material on the throttle (friction made it peel off). One application of Goof Off on a paper towel easily wiped off the yellow glue on the clutch side.

The grips slid straight on with moderate effort, but easily if you did the twisting motion, no sanding required. I cut the end of the grips to the maximum amount so they wouldn't rub against the bar ends.

My only mistake was the application of the glue. On both sides I ended up putting too much on and it squeezed out. I protected the fairings luckily, but on the throttle side some glue got under the throttle tube and messed up the free operation. I had to remove the throttle from the bar and wipe the bar down with Goof Off. I read the glue dries quick, like less than 5 seconds quick. For the throttle, I had to twist it on at the end because I couldn't push it any further. Scary!

I ran the wires on the right side of the bike behind the middle fairing and under the edge of the tank so I didn't have to pull the fairings/tank off. The grip wires run through the wire guides attached to the bars, so no zip-ties are visible.

I bought part #'s 120CB0640 and 92152-0901 from the heated grip accessory so I can mount the heated grips controller bracket to the left mirror. I only bought the top bolt, so I'll have to see how that goes.

Last edited by nayr14; 09-30-2017 at 10:42 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-30-2017, 06:36 AM

Garage
A little black Tremclad type paint on the controller bracket will make it look like it came with the bike.

Having installed these too I can say it is an extremely easy install. Everything is designed to plug in together. Splitting the old grips with a razor blade helps in the removal process.

Last edited by twowheels; 09-30-2017 at 06:38 AM.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 09:12 PM

So is the consensus that if you run these with a heated jacket thats good enough for winter riding (and bark busters?)?

I don't want to buy heated gloves too, but I'd venture they'd work fine.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-03-2017, 12:04 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanengineer View Post
So is the consensus that if you run these with a heated jacket thats good enough for winter riding (and bark busters?)?

I ride in quite chilly weather both here in BC, and in AZ, using a heated jacket-liner, hand-guards to cut the wind, and heavy duty gloves, but NO heated gloves or grips, and - SO FAR - I'm OK.

Pretty sure the heated jacket-liner helps a LOT!!!
Urbanengineer likes this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-03-2017, 01:35 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanengineer View Post

I've use these with my last 3 bikes & heated grips...http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...old-hands.html . I hate thick gloves so with the mitts and heated grips using summer gloves my hands stay nice and toasty

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-03-2017, 09:05 PM
Super Moderator

Oxford heated Grips

This is a first for me,never had heated grips until on the 2015 650 ABS Versys, let me say a huge difference. A couple things to consider, one is like what has been suggested, get Bark Buster Storm hand guards, I leave them on year round. So I have summer vented/ armored gloves and cold weather high visibility armored gloves. First , I have had several occasions when I am doing long distance riding, the sun starts setting and the temperature drops, you are possibly only a couple hours from your stop for the day, I reach over and turn the grips on, 75% for 3 minutes then lower it,nice toasty warm hands. Same thing early morning, you know it is going to warm up in a hour or so, turn on the grips. So my cold weather gloves are becoming a standard where the palm insulation is 100 but the back of the hand is 200, the purpose is to allow the heat to penetrate from the grips and be trapped by the warmer insulation in the back of the glove which is facing the wind. Heated gloves are expensive, many require a jacket to plug into, and all the ones I looked at are at least twice the cost of the Oxford grip heater.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ted-grips.html
Urbanengineer likes this.

Last edited by onewizard; 10-04-2017 at 04:41 PM.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-10-2017, 09:48 AM

I thankfully already have a heated jacket, the "heated grips" that came on my bike were of not good quality though. I'm thinking of trying out the Oxford ones. Thanks for the replies.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-10-2017, 10:08 AM

Garage
I love my Koso Apollo heated grips. The fact that the controller is built in was defiantly a selling point for me.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...SABEgJrhPD_BwE
steve1503 likes this.

Ed

2011 Versys 650

Even a fool is thought wise if he keeps silent... Proverbs 17:28
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-14-2017, 01:00 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nayr14 View Post
I put on Oxford Adventure heated grips last night. I read/watch conflicting information on how difficult it was to install.

It was a lot easier than I thought. I used compressed air to lift the grips off both sides, no cutting required. The clutch was very easy, took less than a minute. The throttle took a minute or two because there is a stickier glue, but it still came off easily. I highly recommend using compressed air!

I used my finger to rub off the glue material on the throttle (friction made it peel off). One application of Goof Off on a paper towel easily wiped off the yellow glue on the clutch side.

The grips slid straight on with moderate effort, but easily if you did the twisting motion, no sanding required. I cut the end of the grips to the maximum amount so they wouldn't rub against the bar ends.

My only mistake was the application of the glue. On both sides I ended up putting too much on and it squeezed out. I protected the fairings luckily, but on the throttle side some glue got under the throttle tube and messed up the free operation. I had to remove the throttle from the bar and wipe the bar down with Goof Off. I read the glue dries quick, like less than 5 seconds quick. For the throttle, I had to twist it on at the end because I couldn't push it any further. Scary!

I ran the wires on the right side of the bike behind the middle fairing and under the edge of the tank so I didn't have to pull the fairings/tank off. The grip wires run through the wire guides attached to the bars, so no zip-ties are visible.

I bought part #'s 120CB0640 and 92152-0901 from the heated grip accessory so I can mount the heated grips controller bracket to the left mirror. I only bought the top bolt, so I'll have to see how that goes.
Is there a reason you went with the Adventure model instead of the Touring model? Based on the width of the Touring model, it doesn't look like you would have to trim them down.

2016 Versys 650 ABS
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-14-2017, 04:47 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naitramde View Post
I love my Koso Apollo heated grips. The fact that the controller is built in was defiantly a selling point for me.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...SABEgJrhPD_BwE
You have to trim a decent amount off of those, correct?
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-14-2017, 05:16 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indelibility View Post
You have to trim a decent amount off of those, correct?

No............No trimming at all. On these...https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

P1010703 by weljo2001, on Flickr

P1010701 by weljo2001, on Flickr

P1010702 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

Last edited by weljo2001; 11-14-2017 at 05:21 PM.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-16-2017, 08:00 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
No............No trimming at all. On these...https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

P1010703 by weljo2001, on Flickr

P1010701 by weljo2001, on Flickr

P1010702 by weljo2001, on Flickr
I noticed that there is a gap between the throttle-side grip and the housing that holds the kill switch. Was that caused by the lip on the throttle tube?

2016 Versys 650 ABS
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-16-2017, 11:59 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattonkdzn View Post
I noticed that there is a gap between the throttle-side grip and the housing that holds the kill switch. Was that caused by the lip on the throttle tube?

No, The right hand side was tight getting on. I used soapy water to slide them on but then had to take a big socket and rubber mallet to get it all the way on. Could have got it down more but would prefer the gap there than on the end of the bar. It not something i even notice. Plus it going to turn everytime you get on and off the gas so you really wouldn't want it to be touching the throttle housing...

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

Last edited by weljo2001; 11-16-2017 at 12:01 PM.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 06:31 AM

It's funny, I actually opted for the Oxford Adventure version and Storm handguards before even seeing this thread. I put them both on my Versys X yesterday and had the same problem with the glue: too much and it got between the throttle tube and handlebar, inhibiting free operation. So now I have to take the throttle off and try to free it up by sanding inside the tube itself and handlebar. If that doesn't work, then I'll need to buy another throttle tube and right side heated grip. I'm fortunate that's even an option, because with factory heated grips, it often isn't. I was also very careful in that I covered my tank when applying the glue in case it dripped. And drip it did. So I moved on to the other side, and at some point the throttle side kept dripping, so I have the fantastic, permanent Super Glue rivulet cascading down the right side body panel. Man I loathe working with that stuff. It always feels like defusing a bomb in its angst. But, that's what happens when you're playing beat the clock with the sun and it's below freezing outside.

I did have to trim my grips at the ends in order for the factory bar ends to seat all the way in. I think that has more to do with I should have moved the left hand switch cluster in a little bit (if that's even an option; they're often indexed), and the throttle side I thought I had pushed on all the way but hadn't. I can see about an 1/8" of throttle tube.

Regardless, I have recently come to adore Oxford. They make really high quality, well thought-out stuff.
onewizard likes this.

Last edited by MMStingray; 02-03-2019 at 08:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode