Got my new plates! - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-25-2012, 08:07 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Got my new plates!

So I think I have the coolest personalized plates ever! I've seen one other on our forums with this one too, but obviously not from my state.

This is the first time I've ever felt vain enough for a vanity plate. But it's fitting since this is my first bike and my first "mid-life crisis" mobile.

(Oh and before you ask, no I'm not worried about blurring my plates in these images for privacy reasons. Everyday I drive by hundreds of motorists that are just as crazy as anyone you'll meet on the internet and they can see my plates just fine. )

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

May the road always curve in front of you.

Last edited by Zatx; 07-25-2012 at 08:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-25-2012, 08:15 PM

cool beans

Sold 2005 honda vtx 1300 bought an '09 versys
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-25-2012, 10:54 PM

I like it

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 12:16 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
It will cost a boom to have one here , personalised like that.

Thanks for sharing.

post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zatx View Post
So I think I have the coolest personalized plates ever! I've seen one other on our forums with this one too, but obviously not from my state.

This is the first time I've ever felt vain enough for a vanity plate. But it's fitting since this is my first bike and my first "mid-life crisis" mobile.

(Oh and before you ask, no I'm not worried about blurring my plates in these images for privacy reasons. Everyday I drive by hundreds of motorists that are just as crazy as anyone you'll meet on the internet and they can see my plates just fine. )

You're dead right Zatx. Why blur the plate when hundreds see it every day..! Btw, is that a proper road legal registration then? Often wondered about US plates that spell words only. Can you buy what you want from a central Government database? Or does it differ, state to state?
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 05:05 AM

I had the same idea when I bought mine.

post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedseven50 View Post
Btw, is that a proper road legal registration then? Often wondered about US plates that spell words only. Can you buy what you want from a central Government database? Or does it differ, state to state?
Yes they are legal. Each state allows the use of the same letter combinations. We could have 50 VERSYS plates in the USA. I have Virginia, Zatx has Indiana. In Virginia, it is an additional $10 per year to run custom plates.

Here is a database where anyone can search to see if a certain combination of letters and numbers are available. Vulgar language can be denied by the state.

There is a guy I know whos name is Berney. He had a license plate that said "Bern 1". The state later made him remove it from his car because it was associated with smoking weed.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 06:03 AM

When I bought my wife her Audi, I put personalized plates on it, thought about doing it for the bike, but I pay enough in extra DMV fees every year that it wasn't worth it.

'09 Candy Plasma Blue Versys 650 (the fastest color)
Givi DS 450 Windshield
SW motech engine guards
HT Teton Panniers
Acerbis handguards
Avon Distanzia tires
Garmin Zumo 665
dual power usb/12v plug
Givi trunk on custom mount

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 06:19 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by colodak View Post
When I bought my wife her Audi, I put personalized plates on it, thought about doing it for the bike, but I pay enough in extra DMV fees every year that it wasn't worth it.
I've had my name on my car and bike (same letters) for the last 30 years.
It has only been a problem a couple of times when I've renewed the bike plates and the clerk forgets to enter the mcy prefix; then they claim it's not possible to have the same number on two vehicles. I've beem too cheap to get my name on my truck.

It's only money
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 06:22 AM

I have been called Bones since I was a kid and someone has had the BONES plate in Mass since I was teenager, which is now some decades ago. I check every so often but no luck. Not yet.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 06:44 AM

Thanks Captain - so, are these sort of plates expensive and can you transfer vehicle to vehicle when you sell? Personalised registrations are big business in the UK too. Being employed in civil aviation, last year I snapped up MD11 FLY, which cost me UK£395.00. It's not on any of my vehicles at the moment, it's on retention. I can only put it on a vehicle that's 2011 onwards so I could put it on the Versys. However, my intention is to put it onto a Merc C63 which I hope to buy in a year or two...! Btw, DC10 FLY was available at over £3000...!
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 08:30 AM Thread Starter

In Indiana my personalized plate is an additional $48 a year. Which is actually pretty steep because it is only about $100 for normal motorcycle plates. Here the plates are based off of the value of the vehicle so my base amount will go down each year, but the $48 will not.

May the road always curve in front of you.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 03:11 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
I used to have a '62 Corvette, and 'toyed' with the idea of a vanity plate reading...

GR8D8B8

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedseven50 View Post
Thanks Captain - so, are these sort of plates expensive and can you transfer vehicle to vehicle when you sell?
$10 a year more than a regular plate. We pay ~$35 a year for plates. Yes, I could transfer a custom motorcycle plate to another motorcycle. Same for a car.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
I used to have a '62 Corvette, and 'toyed' with the idea of a vanity plate reading...

GR8D8B8

"Great date bate" - that would only be a good idea if you exclusively date women who can't read or perhaps men (we're not judgmental here on the forum).

Last edited by Sprocket; 07-26-2012 at 03:29 PM.
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 08:49 PM

when i got my bike i was 42 and also my first bike the plate on it is YMF 42 - so its a win win for me Your My First at 42 and no extra cost !!!
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 11:40 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprocket View Post
"Great date bate" - that would only be a good idea if you exclusively date women who can't read or perhaps men (we're not judgmental here on the forum).
I KNOW what you're sayin', but THAT car was SO-O-O cool that I don't believe anyone would take exception to GR8D8B8 on it...!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 03:40 AM

My versys is a 2010 in polar yellow. The UK plate on it is GV10 DHL. It looks like it should be in the DHL delivery fleet, but they haven't sent me any sponsorship money, the [email protected]

If it wasn't for the Welsh and the Scottish bringing the average down, this wouldn't be "Great Britain"; it would be "Bloody Amazing Britain".
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 09:03 AM

So what kind of bike do you ride;-)
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 12:07 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Englishman View Post
My versys is a 2010 in polar yellow. The UK plate on it is GV10 DHL. It looks like it should be in the DHL delivery fleet, but they haven't sent me any sponsorship money, the [email protected]
Love your "Bloody Amazing Britain" tag line, but if it weren't for the Welch and the Scots where would you get unpronouncable village names and haggis??

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome

Last edited by Arion; 07-29-2012 at 06:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode