Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

08 Fuel guage and mileage

2K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  kiwi 41 
#1 ·
New to a Versys, I filled the tank and rode around the city approx. 120 miles. The fuel meter had 2 bars remaining, so I filled up again thinking that "the mileage sucks". I ended up only putting about 2.5 gallons back in it. Needless to say I was relieved that the mileage wasn't so bad afterall. Question: What mileage should I see in city driving with just normal starts, and is there a way to calibrate the sending unit for the readout? Is this a common problem?:usa:

#2 ·
I typically get about 48mpg, 52mpg if I'm riding SLOW, sea level, Calif gas with 10% ethenol. Fuelly.com is a good site to keep track of your MPG and you can see the collective experience of the Versys reports there. Looking in service manual, don't see a way to recalibrate fuel level sensor. Service manual available on this site for download. Hope this helps.

#4 ·
You can always do what I did on my KLR. I picked up a small plastic gas can and took off. Ran it dry, reserve and all just to see how far I could go. 325+ Miles was the answer to that question. Close to 60 after I flipped the petcock over. I don't really think it'd be a geat idea on the V as it injected and the pumps hate being run dry. But after checking my milage I'd say 250+ would be pushing it, or I'd BE pushing it! I do get between 50 and 56 MPG and a little less on the KLR 46-54.

I keep track of milage for the simple reason that a sudden drop can be a warning of problems that need to be addressed. My old Honda CX 650 started to get poor milage, about a 50% drop over night, turned out to be a sticky float in a carb. I caught it quickly but it could have "washed" the motor I was told and that would have been big bucks. "Washed" the oil out cylinder was what the guy was saying I found out.

#5 ·
That sounds about right for the fuel gauge. Mine starts blinking when I still have about ¾ of a gallon of fuel left. I average 40-44 mpg in the winter months when the temps are 25-45 degrees. In the summer, I average 48-52 when the temps are 60-85 degrees.
As a rule of thumb for myself, I always start thinking about filling up when I reach the 160-170 mile area. I’d rather fill up a little early than run out and usually end up putting in 3-4 gallons.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.