It comes a time - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 10:07 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
It comes a time

Well got some super news from my orthopedic guy last week-seems all my old injury's are coming back to haunt me and if I don't give up motorcycles(not happening) or get something smaller and lighter more back surgery will be in order and if I'm nice he'll throw in a new hip or two-I have noticed the last year the Versys has been harder to push around and swing a leg over and was thinking of lowering it but can't make it weigh less so with all the talk of the 300X I'm thinking of trying one tube tires and all-been to my dealer pushed one around after lowering it should be just right and it's 100 pounds or so lighter-so if anyone has a 300X in the South and would like to make a deal PM me-I'm going to list my bike in the for sale section for kicks-thanks for listening
twowheels likes this.

Deep in Cajun Country
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 01:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
The Versys 300 weighs 386 lbs ready to go. I'd take a long look at the new KLX 250, a nice dual sport coming in at 304 lbs.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 02:46 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Or the Honda rally 250 if you want a little wind protection.

Or a CSC machine at a low price point.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 02:49 PM

Garage
My neighbor mounts his bike like a horse. One foot on the peg grab the bars and then step over. When i cant ride my Harley i will replace it with a miata for touring duty and stick with the light bikes for local riding.
waldowales likes this.

My Versys Travels:

post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 02:56 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
Or the Honda rally 250 if you want a little wind protection.

Or a CSC machine at a low price point.
I would not think a lighter adv. touring bike would offer much of an advantage in ease of handling.

With similar power to the Versys and more amenities and a pass through you don't need to swing a leg over, the BMW C650GT is more of a touring bike than a scooter but should be easier on the body than any motorcycle. Scooters in general have a remarkably low center of gravity which makes them hide their weight well. There are also maxi scooters from other manufacturers like the Bergman, etc.. Most of the people I see riding these are older folk who have previously owned a Gold Wing or something similar and wanted something easier to handle. You loose some power to the CVT but they are remarkably fun and easy to ride and have great on board storage.

BMW Motorrad Canada

There are also the Can Am three wheelers I see a ton of on the road.

Last edited by twowheels; 09-25-2017 at 03:09 PM.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 07:06 PM

How about a nice zx14? 580 lbs, but so low it's easy to push around! 0-60 in 2.5 seconds, more HP than most cars these days...

Oh, and did I mention that it scares the crap outta me these days...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00917_800x600.JPG (140.7 KB, 33 views)
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 08:30 PM

twowheelafddict: That's how I mount my Versys 650. and my Honda CRF250, as well as my Trek 600 pedal bike.Last bike I could throw a leg over was my 2003 Vulcan Nomad 1500, Traded it for the Versys as ir was getting to be too heavy for me.
twowheeladdict likes this.

Last edited by waldowales; 09-25-2017 at 08:31 PM. Reason: spelling error
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 09:18 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
I would not think a lighter adv. touring bike would offer much of an advantage in ease of handling.

With similar power to the Versys and more amenities and a pass through you don't need to swing a leg over, the BMW C650GT is more of a touring bike than a scooter but should be easier on the body than any motorcycle. Scooters in general have a remarkably low center of gravity which makes them hide their weight well. There are also maxi scooters from other manufacturers like the Bergman, etc.. Most of the people I see riding these are older folk who have previously owned a Gold Wing or something similar and wanted something easier to handle. You loose some power to the CVT but they are remarkably fun and easy to ride and have great on board storage.

BMW Motorrad Canada

There are also the Can Am three wheelers I see a ton of on the road.
I move my KLX250S like most people move around a bicycle. Very easy to move around while off the bike. The other bikes I duck walk while sitting on the seat.

Personally, I couldn't ride a maxi-scooter because I squeeze the tank to hold me on the bike when encountering rough stuff so my hands can stay light on the bars.

My Versys Travels:

post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 10:25 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I had a Honda CRF250L nice little bike-but a very tall seat and a bit under powered-had 3 maxi scooters the only one I would consider is the Yamaha T max 535 and I have found a deal on a left over not sure I'm ready for another one right now- it is between the 300X and a Honda CB500F-had a CB500X and few bikes back nice little bike good engine light weight low seat but finding a windshield that works is to hard to do- on the 500X forum over 100 pages just on windshields so that's why a CB500F- I have done this so many times-trading bikes- I like to let faith handle it when the time is right my bike will sell if not in a month or so I buy what I want push the old one in the corner then it seems they always sell fast last three times it worked just like that- time will tell

Deep in Cajun Country

Last edited by motorboy; 09-25-2017 at 10:35 PM.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-26-2017, 08:09 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorboy View Post
Well got some super news from my orthopedic guy last week-seems all my old injury's are coming back to haunt me and if I don't give up motorcycles(not happening) or get something smaller and lighter more back surgery will be in order and if I'm nice he'll throw in a new hip or two-I have noticed the last year the Versys has been harder to push around and swing a leg over and was thinking of lowering it but can't make it weigh less so with all the talk of the 300X I'm thinking of trying one tube tires and all-been to my dealer pushed one around after lowering it should be just right and it's 100 pounds or so lighter-so if anyone has a 300X in the South and would like to make a deal PM me-I'm going to list my bike in the for sale section for kicks-thanks for listening

I'm facing a similar situation. At 72 with an artificial hip, short legs and diminishing upper body strength I find that the V650 is getting heavier and heavier. I lowered it and that helps but it doesn't make it any lighter. It's not as heavy as my K75S which is both heavier and top heavy as well. Though I like it immensely I don't think it (the BMW at least) is going to last beyond next spring when replacing it will hopefully result in fetching a few more $$$. I don't know that I was ever able to pick up 500+ pounds but I guarantee I can't now. Ah, I wonder how I know that.

So, my replacement candidates are the Versys X-300 and the BMW G310R. Both are much lighter and both are well thought of by the major moto magazines. The BMW is less expensive but that doesn't make it the automatic winner. I'll need to thoroughly examine and ride both.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-26-2017, 10:26 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion View Post
I'm facing a similar situation. At 72 with an artificial hip, short legs and diminishing upper body strength I find that the V650 is getting heavier and heavier. I lowered it and that helps but it doesn't make it any lighter. It's not as heavy as my K75S which is both heavier and top heavy as well. Though I like it immensely I don't think it (the BMW at least) is going to last beyond next spring when replacing it will hopefully result in fetching a few more $$$. I don't know that I was ever able to pick up 500+ pounds but I guarantee I can't now. Ah, I wonder how I know that.

So, my replacement candidates are the Versys X-300 and the BMW G310R. Both are much lighter and both are well thought of by the major moto magazines. The BMW is less expensive but that doesn't make it the automatic winner. I'll need to thoroughly examine and ride both.
Well I'm just 67 but never sat on the side line of life and never thought I would live this long-but you blink and here we are- I rode BMW's for 20 years-and that was enough the GS310 does look good-but I would have to have a dealer within pushing distance-the new ones are bad enough-not sure if made in India is good or bad

Deep in Cajun Country
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-26-2017, 11:24 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
when age do the catching mounting a bicycle seems a big task..
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-27-2017, 03:34 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorboy View Post
Quote:

Well I'm just 67 but never sat on the side line of life and never thought I would live this long-but you blink and here we are- I rode BMW's for 20 years-and that was enough the GS310 does look good-but I would have to have a dealer within pushing distance-the new ones are bad enough-not sure if made in India is good or bad
I would hold out for the new BMW G 310 GS, that should check all your boxes
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-27-2017, 09:15 AM

I recently bought my Versys 650 for similar reasons.

At age 64, semi retired, (read that monetarily challenged) figured it was a good time to down size to something smaller, lighter, and more economical.

V-650 is a nice step down from my KTM 1190 Adventure. Smaller, lighter, quicker handling and more fun.

My 2015 1190 is for sale if you know anyone on the west coast who needs one.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-27-2017, 11:48 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
...I don't know that I was ever able to pick up 500+ pounds but I guarantee I can't now....
I used to have a KLR650 (weighed around 417# DESPITE what the OWNERS MANUAL said!), and had it go down in the woods (Rocky Mountains), handlebars LOW (I was about 62 or 63) , so I started to pull it around to get the bars HIGH, but was unable to achieve that as it was catching on roots....

I struggled w/ it for quite awhile, then foraged thru the forest, looking for SOMETHING to help. I finally found a tree-limb that was about 4' long x 4" thick that someone had trimmed from a tree. I was able to use it to lever that "PIG" up enough to get my knees VERTICALLY under , thus having it about 22" above the ground to where I could get hold of it w/ BOTH hands, then lever it up from there w/out wrecking my back...!

I still rode (ride!) solo, but I'm quite a bit MORE careful about WHERE I ride....

I HOPE!!!

CJRuffner likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-27-2017, 12:48 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
My neighbor mounts his bike like a horse. One foot on the peg grab the bars and then step over. When i cant ride my Harley i will replace it with a miata for touring duty and stick with the light bikes for local riding.
Just a little insight to the Miata. It is fun in it's own right but will not replace the Motorcycle Fun. I know I have one. Also if you have bad hips or knees, getting in and out of the Miata can still be a challenge.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAM_1701.jpg (60.5 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_1718.jpg (77.6 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Maita 2.jpg (66.2 KB, 17 views)

Chuck Henderson (US Army Active Duty RET) (Colorado) STOC# 086,
RIDE a little FASTER, RIDE a little FURTHER
14 FJR1300A (Ruby FeeJeR)
17 VX300 (Little Gray Bike)
19 V1000LTSE (Flying Nun)
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-27-2017, 03:23 PM
RMS

Geez,,, Thanks' everyone, I now know that I am not alone with these issues.
I guess,, if and when I can not make it up the steps to my house then it will be
time to get a scoter
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-27-2017, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksklrst View Post
Just a little insight to the Miata. It is fun in it's own right but will not replace the Motorcycle Fun. I know I have one. Also if you have bad hips or knees, getting in and out of the Miata can still be a challenge.
And if you think that's a challenge, try getting into or out of a Polaris Slingshot! A James Bond style ejection seat might be a very good option. Or perhaps one of those electrically rising recliner chairs for the elderly or arthritic. The only problem I could envision with the latter is that those chairs weigh about as much as a Slingshot.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-27-2017, 04:46 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksklrst View Post
Which is why I would get an RF, then install a remote module so I can put the top down before trying to get in the car, and putting it up after I exit. The Nissan 370Z Roadster lets you put it down by holding the button on the drivers door handle. The Roadster is way overpriced compared to the competition though the seats and comfort are far above the Miata.

My Versys Travels:

post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-27-2017, 10:27 PM Thread Starter

Garage
You know I though about a Miata-two many wheels

Deep in Cajun Country
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode