My Givi sidecases REALLY let me down just now. - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-25-2012, 12:05 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
My Givi sidecases REALLY let me down just now.

Im at steak n shake, and the key broke off in the lock. The case contains my wallet, house keys, work keys, car keys, jacket and gloves.

24/7 locksmith on the way

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-25-2012, 12:34 AM

Major bummer! Hopefully the locksmith got in, and everything will be useable still. This is the first time I've heard of this happening to a Givi...

2011 Imperial Red
Givi V46 / V35's SW Motech mounts
Skidmarx hugger Moto Werks bar riser
Mondo Motors LED Driving Lights
A little bit of road rash
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-25-2012, 12:51 AM Thread Starter

One guys been working at it. He called for back up. 3 locksmiths are working on it now.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-25-2012, 01:15 AM Thread Starter

The thinf i dont get is that the key was fully inserted...and there was zero resisrance. I just pulled turned in and the head broke off.....

Seventy dollars later a nice jamaican man saves the day at one in the morning. I told him to come by my quick lube joint and i will hook him up with a discount.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-25-2012, 08:30 AM

x

Last edited by AzItLies; 10-23-2012 at 01:50 PM.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-25-2012, 08:54 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to offcamber
I broke a key off in the tank lock on my old Suzuki....barley twisted it and snap....I got it out with a hemostat then took the broken pieces to the lock smith and they made a new key from that....the broken one was the only one I had.

I think the keys get fatigued over time the metal is generally soft and they just break sometime with little pressure...it happens.

I guess its a plus that the Givi cases have locks that are tough to break into lol

I can open my Trax boxes with my pocket knife.

" I don't care about shinny chrome or loud exhaust, I don't ride to be seen, I ride because I want to disappear"

Halfthrottle
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-25-2012, 09:11 AM Thread Starter

It blew my mind how the guy got it out.

He took to very long flexible needles with handles. Spent all that time with a light and managed to twist both tools around the key fragment.....it was crazy looking.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-25-2012, 10:04 AM

FWIW, a friend of mine lost her keys (left them in the top case lock and they fell out who-know-where between Montreal and western Mass) so when she arrived all her stuff was locked inside her Givi V35s. All her stuff included a bottle of 15-year-old Scotch, so clearly we had to get inside! Another friend went home and got a lock pick kit he found on eBay for under $10, which he had purchased to open an old file cabinet at work. Long story short, he's not a locksmith and he opened up both Givi cases in about 10 minutes using that cheapo lock pick kit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-25-2012, 11:06 AM

Not to hijack the thread... glad you got your box open... but years ago when I was stationed in Thailand I needed a spare key made so I went downtown where an old man had a mobile tricycle cart and he did keys.

A lady in a Mercedes automobile had just pulled up before me and she had lost the key that opened the trunk of the Merc.

The old man took some sort of skinny tool to the back of the car and inserted it into the lock... He then spend less than a minute staring off into space while he "felt" inside the lock.

After that, he went back to his cart... grabbed the proper key blank... put it into a vice and worked on it for about another minute with a couple of small files.

When he had finished shaping what he thought the key should be, he took the new key back to the trunk of the Mercedes... inserted it into the lock and pop!!! the trunk opened up.

He charged the lady the equivalent of about $.75 and everyone was happy. My spare key took more time...

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-25-2012, 10:52 PM

Some of the Givi key codes are more prone to break than others. As you probably know keys have cuts of various depths in various fixed positions on the blade. Givi keys with cuts of the deepest depth in the position closest to the handle of the key may be prone to breakage.

You can have a one-sided key cut and it will be less likely to break than the two-sided Givi keys. The only thing you give up is the convenience of being able to insert it either way.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 09:34 AM

That"s good info!
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 10:21 AM

That’s the one complaint I have about my E21’s. The keys are so soft!!
I haven’t had any of them break yet, but all of the keys that came with the cases are now bent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode