Long Term Versys Storage - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-24-2012, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Long Term Versys Storage

Members,
I will be leaving the country soon for 8 months, and consequently my versys will be sitting for the duration. It will be at a friends house (non-rider) who is willing to crank it etc. How often do you think he should run it and what else can I do to ensure the bike doesn't suffer?
Thanks men

Thanks,

Versysdude

RANGERS LEAD THE WAY
""During the first period of a man's life the greatest danger is to not take the risk"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-24-2012, 12:59 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Plug the exhaust so a mouse doesn't make a nest in your pipe. Hook it up to a battery tender.This is the one i have works like a champ.http://www.amazon.com/Multi-12-Volt-Smart-Battery-Charger/dp/B000FQBWCY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1343152706&sr=8-1&keywords=ctek+battery+charger Might put some gas stabalizer in the tank.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-24-2012, 01:39 PM

I would drain the tank, remove the battery and put it on a tender if you want, get both wheels off the ground, cover it and go on your trip. Your friend shouldn't have to do anything. If you are deploying, Thank you for your service. Be safe.

Nothing's too cruel if it's funny enough.

Last edited by G19Tony; 07-24-2012 at 01:44 PM.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-24-2012, 02:41 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I was gone for a year. The only thing i did was hook it up to a battery tender. Came home then rode it from texas to cali.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-25-2012, 08:01 AM
GDI

I would put stablilzer in the tank and *fill it to the top*! You don't want airspace that will let rust get started in there. I would put a battery tender on it and let it sit.

Some people like to run their bikes periodically while they're in storage, but I don't see the point. The battery tender is keeping the battery topped off. Running the bike just causes condensation to build up in the crankcase.

GDI
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-25-2012, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDI View Post
I would put stablilzer in the tank and *fill it to the top*! You don't want airspace that will let rust get started in there. I would put a battery tender on it and let it sit.

Some people like to run their bikes periodically while they're in storage, but I don't see the point. The battery tender is keeping the battery topped off. Running the bike just causes condensation to build up in the crankcase.

GDI
+1

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.

-Homer Simpson

Current Bike:
2017 Kawasaki Versys 650
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 03:26 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by versysdude View Post
Members,
I will be leaving the country soon for 8 months, and consequently my versys will be sitting for the duration. It will be at a friends house (non-rider) who is willing to crank it etc. How often do you think he should run it and what else can I do to ensure the bike doesn't suffer?
Thanks men
NEVER! Battery Tender and "StaBil" in a full tank, then forget about it!

IF it's possible, battery OUT of the bike, and on the Battery Tender.

BOTH my bikes get 6 months of this EVERY year (OPPOSITE 6, of course! )

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode