• 1 Post By onewizard
  • 1 Post By NightRider
  • 1 Post By twowheels
  • 2 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 1 Post By Kyle E
  • 2 Post By kenr74

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-22-2017, 01:05 PM Thread Starter

Looking at this used one, any help welcome.

So I think I've narrowed my search down to a Versys after reading tons and tons of info here on this great forum.

Local dealer has had this one for quite a while, and its very reasonably priced. Went and looked at it in person today, couldn't find anything glaringly wrong with it. Some discoloration on the pipes and some small scratches on the side case.
Also appears to be aftermarket brake lines?

But this thing seems a bit too good to be true. For $3000 with only 2500 miles on it, Im worried that I am missing something. They have had it listed since March or April. Is anything jumping out at you more experienced guys? Or have any advice please lend a hand!

Started and ran perfect, took it for a short lap around the block and nothing jumped out at me as wrong.

https://www.cycletrader.com/dealers/...rsys-121766382
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-23-2017, 08:14 AM
Super Moderator

Stuck In Spam filter

As the title states , the link caused a problem.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-23-2017, 11:19 AM
Super Moderator

Kyle - looking thru all the pics, it looks PDG to me.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-23-2017, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

Update since I posted yesterday.

Went over to work the numbers this morning... I forgot how dealers operate.
$900 "Pre sale inspection" $500 "DMV Fee"
Then tried to charge me tax on the inspection fee (no tax on labor here).
Bringing the price to over $4800. Adding 50% to the cost of a bike is a little much in my opinion.
I asked for a breakdown of the DMV fee, they said that was to transfer the title (costs $35 I did one last week) and then stammered when I came back on them for that.

Needless to say I walked. By the time I made it home and missed 2 phone calls from them its dropped down to $3700. Sheesh. I may wait a day and see if it goes lower, or make a counter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Kyle - looking thru all the pics, it looks PDG to me.

Thanks! That is the struggle, even with the shenanigans, its still a good deal. I went over it real careful this morning, only thing they missed in the pictures is a slight bit of scratches on the front fender, less than an inch. and one of the bar ends is tweaked. Probably had a tip over in the showroom or something causing the front reflector to hit the fender and scratch the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
As the title states , the link caused a problem.
Figured, thanks!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-23-2017, 02:20 PM

Garage
I couldn't see where the mileage was reported.

I returned my 2011 Versys back to stock and traded it in on January 30th, 2016. Got $5000 trade in for it with 30,000 miles on the clock.

My Versys Travels:

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-23-2017, 09:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
I couldn't see where the mileage was reported.

I returned my 2011 Versys back to stock and traded it in on January 30th, 2016. Got $5000 trade in for it with 30,000 miles on the clock.
It only had 2500 miles on it.

I ended up making the purchase. Got it down to $3500 out the door.
First time riding on the street! Exciting, and only embarrassed myself once by stalling at a stop sign hah! Pictures and such tomorrow.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-23-2017, 09:52 PM
Super Moderator

Lots of Stuff Available

I am sure there will be several people pipe in here. First I would suggest to replace the brake fluid, if you have a vacuum brake bleeder makes it easier and a second person makes it faster. Check chain alignment, some new tools available, just ask. You need to set the suspension up for your weight and type of riding. Checking vacuum sync if you have the gauges, basically is a early indication of valve shim condition, unless someone already screwed with the setting. Tires are vastly improved over what was available in 2010. the TPS will come up at some point in the discussion. OHHHHH and then the farkles
Kyle E likes this.

Last edited by onewizard; 09-23-2017 at 10:06 PM.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 07:21 AM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to NightRider
Congrats on the purchase and welcome to the club!
Nothing wrong with the bike, it's cheap because it's a fairly old model by today's standards and dealers just want to make a sell.
Previous owner probably seldom rode it and decided it wasn't for him hence the low mileage.
As for the brakes, Kawasaki uses Tokico brakes on Ninjas (branded as Kawasaki) so they probably used them on Versys before they switched to Nissin.
Judging by the brake lines color (matching the bike), they look stock to me. I could be wrong about the model brakes, but it's still an OEM Kawasaki brand so you shouldn't worry about it.

When it comes to maintenance, since it only has ~2500 miles on it, there's really no need for any major inspection (valve clearance or TBs) because the bike simply hasn't been ridden enough despite its age.
Just replace the fluids (oil mainly, brakes and coolant if they're 'dirty') and ride. If it sounded and felt good on the test ride, that's because it is. Despite what some people say, bikes don't degrade over time by sitting in a garage. lol

P.S. Might want to change the oil filter as well, while you're at it.
Kyle E likes this.

Last edited by NightRider; 09-25-2017 at 07:36 AM.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 03:57 PM

Garage
If you're gonna do the brake fluid might as well fit some steel braided brake lines to the front. These will improve braking performance by giving you better feedback. A good bleed job to remove all tbe air is critically important. A cheap collection bottle with hose is all you need. Run brake fluid through tbe system multiple times pouring collection bottle back into resovior. Turn off bleeder valve (clockwise till tight) before releasing lever. Open before squeezing lever. Run fluid through system until you can no longer see micro bubbles in clear plastic hose to collection bottle. Start on side furthest from brake lever. Don't let brake resovior run dry during process or you will need to start all over. I did not count the number of lever pulls when i did this but estimate it at 30 for the front.

Remove top from brake resovior on handle bar. Clean bleeder valve on brake caliper of all road grime. Connect clear plastic hose to bleeder valve leading to collection bottle or clean container. Fill resovior with fluid and keep topped up to full during process. Open bleeder valve slightly with wrench and squeeze lever to bar holding it there while you close the bleeder valve with other hand. Release lever only after it is closed. Reopen valve and repeat. Stop to top up resovior as required or pour full collection bottle back into resovior. Alternate between left and right sides when air dissipates. After 10 or more squeezes you should start to see some fluid mixed with air come out the hose. You should not normally have to open the bleeder valve more than 1 turn from closed. You have to close the bleeder valve for the lever release as you don't want to draw air or fluid mixed with air back into the system. As a shortcut when priming the system you can leave the valve open and press your thumb on it to block the entry of air on lever release and only connect the hose when fluid starts to come out.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk
Kyle E likes this.

Last edited by twowheels; 09-25-2017 at 04:35 PM.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 05:13 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
...might as well fit some steel braided brake lines to the front....
I BELIEVE that those red brake lines ARE SS lines, as the originals were black rubber....
Urbanengineer and Kyle E like this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 10:15 PM Thread Starter

Thank you guys very much for the advice!

They swapped all the fluids including brake before putting it up for sale. So I'm good to go resetting all my maintenance intervals starting at 2500 for fluids.
Almost another 100 miles today on the bike!

They are nissin calipers, and aftermarket lines steel braided encased in red plastic. I dont know could be stock as I have not seen one of this age.

No farkels yet onewizard!
Well phone mount, 12v socket and a small tank bag for my garage door opener. Thinking about a taller windscreen, but other than that I couldn't be happier.
I'm going to have to buy a battery tender.... for my truck because Im enjoying the hell out of 2 wheels!
NightRider likes this.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-26-2017, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle E View Post

They swapped all the fluids including brake before putting it up for sale
I wouldn't believe that for a second. Maybe I'm paranoid but for the cost of new fluids I would do it myself.

Congrats on the new bike. We will all be happy to spend your money for you.
NightRider and Kyle E like this.

1974 Kawasaki F11
2004 Yamaha WR450 plated
2014 Kawasaki Versys 650
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-26-2017, 10:19 AM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle E View Post
Update since I posted yesterday.

Went over to work the numbers this morning... I forgot how dealers operate.
$900 "Pre sale inspection" $500 "DMV Fee"
Then tried to charge me tax on the inspection fee (no tax on labor here).
Bringing the price to over $4800. Adding 50% to the cost of a bike is a little much in my opinion.
I asked for a breakdown of the DMV fee, they said that was to transfer the title (costs $35 I did one last week) and then stammered when I came back on them for that.

Needless to say I walked. By the time I made it home and missed 2 phone calls from them its dropped down to $3700. Sheesh. I may wait a day and see if it goes lower, or make a counter.

Thanks! That is the struggle, even with the shenanigans, its still a good deal. I went over it real careful this morning, only thing they missed in the pictures is a slight bit of scratches on the front fender, less than an inch. and one of the bar ends is tweaked. Probably had a tip over in the showroom or something causing the front reflector to hit the fender and scratch the end.

Figured, thanks!
heck for that much just buy mine lol its got more miles (just more love its had) but also lover price $3500

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 07:31 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to NightRider
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenr74 View Post
I wouldn't believe that for a second. Maybe I'm paranoid but for the cost of new fluids I would do it myself.

Congrats on the new bike. We will all be happy to spend your money for you.
Hah, reminded me of this video about Economy Lube somewhere in Ontario (fast lube franchise pulling a fast one ):
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode