what hand guards -rain protection only - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 10:36 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
what hand guards -rain protection only

I have searched and read tons of posts on hand guards on the forum but haven't seen any real answer to my question. I am looking for some hand guards that are strickly for weather protection. I don't need any reinforcement or something that needs tons of modifications to fit. Just some plain old plastic hand guards for cold weather and rain that are easy to install. Part numbers and where to get them would be a MAJOR plus. There are 5 billion different models out there and fitment is always questionable. Hopefully someone has accomplished this. Oh, it is a 2012.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 01:26 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Some of the listers installed plastic guards from V-stroms.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 04:16 PM

Fieldshear Overgloves, at $11, are a lot less expensive than plastic hand guards. No problem with them hitting an aftermarket windshield, either. Uglier than an "old white woman," as Red Foxx used to say, but functional.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg map.jpg (22.1 KB, 806 views)

Just a "rambler in my Father's world."

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 07:57 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmurphy View Post
I have searched and read tons of posts on hand guards on the forum but haven't seen any real answer to my question. I am looking for some hand guards that are strickly for weather protection. I don't need any reinforcement or something that needs tons of modifications to fit. Just some plain old plastic hand guards for cold weather and rain that are easy to install. Part numbers and where to get them would be a MAJOR plus. There are 5 billion different models out there and fitment is always questionable. Hopefully someone has accomplished this. Oh, it is a 2012.
If that is your criteria I think you would be better off purchasing a pair of cold weather gloves that are water proof. I have Barkbuster Storm hand guards and they do an excellent job at protecting the bar ends and levers but don't really have much of a noticeable effect when it comes to weather protection. The vacuum created behind the hand shield sucks in the air and rain anyway. I use heated gloves now but my old Rev'It winter/waterproof motorcycle gloves were good down to ~45F and kept my hands dry in rain. In summer when it's hot out I don't really mind my hands getting wet in the rain.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...gloves-review/

Last edited by twowheels; 07-21-2012 at 08:02 PM.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 08:08 PM Thread Starter

I agree with the gloves, which I have. My thing is that going 70mph when 30 degrees F outside, windblockers for the hands definately help, a lot. I will probably go with the Barkbusters and Storm guards.

Heated grips, I love heated grips but wouldn't go out of my way or money to install them as an accessory. I have had a few BMW's with grips that on high would be too hot to the naked hand but with winter riding gloves and highway riding I can't say I even knew they were on.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-22-2012, 03:12 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
I agree with the gloves, which I have. My thing is that going 70mph when 30 degrees F outside, windblockers for the hands definately help, a lot. I will probably go with the Barkbusters and Storm guards.

Heated grips, I love heated grips but wouldn't go out of my way or money to install them as an accessory. I have had a few BMW's with grips that on high would be too hot to the naked hand but with winter riding gloves and highway riding I can't say I even knew they were on.
During winter (and the cooler times...) I travel with the plastic pieces on my Zeta guards for warmer hands, but they're removed during warmer times. Same with windshields - stocker when hot; BIG one when cold.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-22-2012, 10:40 PM

I chose to go the route of installing KTM hand guards because like you, I only wanted protection from the elements and not from crashes. Here is the site I bought them from:

http://www.ktmtwins.com/ktm-hard-equ...uro-handguards

I paid $69 with $10 shipping. They work real well; however you will have to use some rubber or something around the inner clamps because even when they are fully tightened down, their is still some play. I chose to put my bar end weights on the outside. Their will also be a small gap between the end of the grip and the hand guard. I solved this problem by cutting the ends off my stock grips and using them as a "Gap Filler" I was replacing my grips with BMW sport grips and heater elements, so I didn't care if I cut my stock grips.

Hopefully this all makes sense. I figured this all out on my own as I was doing it, but I think it all turned out well. I think overall the KTM hand guards look nice. The only spot they say KTM is on the inside where they can't be seen.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG7301.JPG (100.7 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG7303.JPG (125.4 KB, 123 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG7305.JPG (96.3 KB, 111 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG7304.JPG (113.9 KB, 94 views)
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-22-2012, 11:01 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage

IMG_0614 by weljo2001, on Flickr

IMG_0615 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 12:56 AM

PowerMadd

http://www.amazon.com/PowerMadd-PM14210-Series-Black-Handguard/dp/B001TW5BAW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1343022931&sr=8-1&keywords=powermadd
http://www.amazon.com/PowerMadd-PM14252-Trail-Series-Handguard/dp/B001AVU0X0/ref=pd_bxgy_auto_img_b

2009 Versys. It blue.

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 02:36 AM

Quote:
I have searched and read tons of posts on hand guards on the forum but haven't seen any real answer to my question. I am looking for some hand guards that are strickly for weather protection.
That's because they don't actually exist.

Good luck exploring the infinite abyss
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 05:33 AM

I use the Powermadd with the TriMount mounting kit ( http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.html?ie=UTF8&location=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2FPowerMadd-PM14269-Trail-Series-Tri-Mount%2Fdp%2FB00230MKZ8%2Fref%3Dsr_1_8%3Fs%3Dautomotive%26ie%3DUTF8%26qid%3D1343039321%26sr%3D1-8%26keywords%3Dpowermadd&tag=5336338025-20&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=9325) because I didn't like shifting the mirror mounts further from the bar ends. Works well, especially if you add the extensions ( http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.html?ie=UTF8&location=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2FPowerMadd-PM14240-Series-Black-Extension%2Fdp%2FB000OO4SWI%2Fref%3Dsr_1_21%3Fs%3Dautomotive%26ie%3DUTF8%26qid%3D1343039321%26sr%3D1-21%26keywords%3Dpowermadd&tag=5336338025-20&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=9325).

That said, cold-weather gloves are a better option (although Weljo2001's solution is good, too). I use both the Powermadd's and gloves in the late fall.

Cheers,
Dave C

Dave C
2008 Versys (Red)
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-24-2012, 12:58 AM

I only had to move the brake-side mirror in to mount the PowerMadd guards; the clutch-side one mounted in-board of the clutch lever (and mirror) mount. Once I abandoned the included instructions and decided to figure it out myself, they went on easily. I don't off-road, and wanted mine strictly for weather protection on my hands (for 10-months/yr commuting), so I didn't bother with the 3-point mount. I assumed that was only for mounting the steel barkbuster-type bracing. Mine are pretty secure without it; I don't expect them to hold up in a crash.

I'm hoping that once the weather turns cold again, the handguards and a set of heated grips will mean I don't have to bother with bulky winter gloves.

2009 Versys. It blue.

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-25-2012, 10:56 PM

+1 on the powemadds. Cold wind is not the only protection they offer. The number of bug splats and rock nicks prove their worth. If you ever get caught in a hail storm they are a saver.

When it gets cold I also wear a pair of winter gloves with heated liners.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Motorcycle.com Free App
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 01:36 PM

I went with the Barkbuster full wrap aluminum hand guards with storm covers. Purchased them from twisted throttle. Not the cheapest option but they fit very well and work well at blocking the cold wind and rain/debris from your hands. They will also provide some tip over protection for when I get around to dumping the thing. I am very happy with them. Sorry the pic is crooked.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20120717_165814.jpg (95.1 KB, 100 views)

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy F View Post
That's because they don't actually exist.
+1
IMO if you want weather protection wind/rain proof cold weather motorcycle gloves will offer more comfort and bang for the buck.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 07:37 PM

Pro taper any color you want. The fit my KLX250SF so I kept them and they fit the 11 Versys, I just bought new black plastic. In the winter I tape the vents with electrical tape. They work extremely well. I still wear gloves. Keeps my hands from bugs too. Zero crash protection for me or the bike. Just protects from wind and rain. (snow?)

http://motorcycle.motorcycle-superst...er+hand+guards

http://motorcycle.motorcycle-superst...er+hand+guards

David

Last edited by David RSparky3; 07-26-2012 at 07:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode