• 2 Post By onewizard
  • 1 Post By jpd
  • 1 Post By onewizard

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-16-2017, 12:17 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Ok to run the Versys out of fuel?

I rode 450 kms today of the Versys 650 then I refilled and it took 17.2 ltrs to fill.

So that means I still had apx 4 ltrs remaining.

So if that is the case I should be able to get apx 550 klms from a full tank.

I'm thinking I would like to completely run it out and just see how far I can get from a full tank.

Is it ok to do this? I would think that it would be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-16-2017, 07:30 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
No Fuel/Running ==$$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyw View Post
I rode 450 kms today of the Versys 650 then I refilled and it took 17.2 ltrs to fill.

So that means I still had apx 4 ltrs remaining.

So if that is the case I should be able to get apx 550 klms from a full tank.

I'm thinking I would like to completely run it out and just see how far I can get from a full tank.

Is it ok to do this? I would think that it would be?
Yes the title makes no sense. A little fuel pump 101, it's purpose is to maintain pressure , you will notice if you have ever taken the tank off that it is very small and FYI smaller usually = more $. The fuel pump is cooled using fuel from the tank, so when you are almost out, the pump will spin freely for seconds however it will heat up drastically, usually ceasing before the motor quits. Very expensive lesson to learn.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-16-2017, 07:31 AM

I've run out of gas before on other bikes, although not intentionally! Won't hurt it. I assume you have a plan to not be stranded, lol?

Edit: Don't do it intentionally, see the below posts. Thanks all for clarifying it'll damage the fuel pump.
onewizard likes this.

Last edited by HondaGalToo; 09-16-2017 at 03:27 PM.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-16-2017, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
Yes the title makes no sense. A little fuel pump 101, it's purpose is to maintain pressure , you will notice if you have ever taken the tank off that it is very small and FYI smaller usually = more $. The fuel pump is cooled using fuel from the tank, so when you are almost out, the pump will spin freely for seconds however it will heat up drastically, usually ceasing before the motor quits. Very expensive lesson to learn.
I didn't know that. Thanks, good to learn something new. Haven't run out of gas or even much below 1/4 tank in years!
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-16-2017, 07:51 AM
Super Moderator

Section 3-100 Service manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaGalToo View Post
I didn't know that. Thanks, good to learn something new. Haven't run out of gas or even much below 1/4 tank in years!
Thanks for adding the second post, this forum is about sharing knowledge , much rather be riding than waiting for parts.
The bottom of section 3 page 100 is a Notice
Do not drive the fuel pump 3 seconds or more without the fuel in the tank. If the fuel pump is driven without the fuel it may be damaged.
They don't go on and explain it, but what I said is what happens. Just remember the pump is getting some heat from the motor as well, FYI the 3 seconds I wasn't aware of, just knew not to run out. I think the lowest I have been is 2 liters left in the tank.
quexpress and NightRider like this.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-16-2017, 09:21 AM
jpd

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Any fuel pump that is electric should never be run dry!!

They use the fuel for lubrication and cooling as stated above.

It may not damage it right away but will shorten its life and they are all very expensive. It is a lot of work to change one on a car or truck with a large tank. You usually have to drop the tank and they fail just after you did a fill up.
jruffner likes this.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 09-16-2017 at 04:55 PM.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-16-2017, 10:53 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
like others have said dont do it... my husband liked to run his car dry and i had to replace the fuel pump in it a few times due to running it dry

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-16-2017, 03:26 PM

Damn good info, I guess things have changed! Thanks for sharing, guys!
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-16-2017, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
Thanks for adding the second post, this forum is about sharing knowledge , much rather be riding than waiting for parts.
Amen to that!
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-16-2017, 04:57 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
like others have said dont do it... my husband liked to run his car dry and i had to replace the fuel pump in it a few times due to running it dry
I ruined several fuel pumps in my Ford F150 (has TWO tanks!), as I would run one tank dry then switch to the other.

VERY "SPENDY"...!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-16-2017, 06:19 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I didn't know that either.

thank you for the replys.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-16-2017, 08:03 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
I ruined several fuel pumps in my Ford F150 (has TWO tanks!), as I would run one tank dry then switch to the other.

VERY "SPENDY"...!

why i like my good old mechanical fuel pump and carb in my old truck. ran it empty a couple times and its fine ( also two tanks) its the electric fuel pumps thats a no no for

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-17-2017, 06:59 AM
jpd

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
That is why we don't have a petcock with a reserve setting. Every time you would run the main position to the bottom the pump would run dry and damage it. Now all fuel injected bikes and cars just have a low level light.

Jeff

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-17-2017, 10:11 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Why can you not simply calculate this from average mileage and fuel tank capacity?
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-17-2017, 12:25 PM
Super Moderator

Road Conditions / Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
Why can you not simply calculate this from average mileage and fuel tank capacity?
With my top case and side cases, a windy day affects my mileage by 20%, also if I am in stop and go traffic it is reduced, going over 100KM/HR also reduces it. The fuel gauge on the Versys is non linear , it takes about 25% longer to drop to the 5th bar from full if you fill up to the neck of the tank , because the level gauge can only read to it's maximum setting ( I get about 0.76 liter more above full)and from the last bar of the fuel gauge to the warning flashing.

The warning has a maximum of 6 liters, looked at 5 different receipts, I get 0.76 liters above full when I fill up, all my receipts are 15.36 to 15.76 liters added when filling up, usually I know by the 1 bar gauge how far I can go before the warning, the 15.76 I was 10KM away from fuel when it started flashing.I use a 60KM to a maximum of 80 KM rule for gas when the warning starts flashing. If I am up North, I never run below 1 to 2 bars , as it can easily be over 200 KM to the next fuel.
quexpress likes this.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-17-2017, 02:23 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
On MY Gen 3 I run the TRIP COMPUTOR on RANGE, which gives me a pessimistic (MY experience is that I could go FARTHER!) indicator of how much further I can go to TANK EMPTY.

Depending of where I am as to how far I'm willing to go before I re-fuel....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode