Nc700x... - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 118 (permalink) Old 07-20-2012, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Nc700x...

Dropped in to the local Honda Powerhouse here. They just got several of the new NC700X and NC700S models in, so I checked them out, and I was offered a test ride, which I plan to do next week (I just 'tweaked' my back this AM moving rocks.... Oh well.). I'll try to make it long enough to write up a comprehensive ride report, with a few pics.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 118 (permalink) Old 07-20-2012, 01:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
It looks like a nice bike but the one thing that keeps keeping me from looking into it further is the fuel tank size.. Any engineer who would put a 3.7 gallon tank on an adventure bike should be shot.. (twice)

09 Lime Versys
13' DL650 Vstrom
06 (Gold) Goldwing IV
post #3 of 118 (permalink) Old 07-20-2012, 02:16 PM

My local dealer is getting one on Tuesday and of course he says it is presold already. I found a nice Review of it from I can tell it is a car engine cut in half and stuffed n a bike. It is more of a commuter bike and apparently shifts at low rpms like around 3000rpm so it is for people who don't mind doing the speed limit

post #4 of 118 (permalink) Old 07-20-2012, 02:34 PM

lacking

I've been watching for a year for this one to finally be released, and I see it's got just about all the specs the same as a V, except it's got conventional forks, not upside downs. It's also $600 more than a V...at least up here in Canada. I think I'll keep my V...lol

Last edited by scooter650; 07-20-2012 at 02:44 PM.
post #5 of 118 (permalink) Old 07-20-2012, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snownut View Post
It looks like a nice bike but the one thing that keeps keeping me from looking into it further is the fuel tank size.. Any engineer who would put a 3.7 gallon tank on an adventure bike should be shot.. (twice)
From what I've read it is like the Versys and not a dual sport bike, it's pavement only. With the phenomenal mileage the engine allows, ~70mpg, that should get you ~250 miles between fills with some reserve.
post #6 of 118 (permalink) Old 07-20-2012, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprocket View Post
From what I've read it is like the Versys and not a dual sport bike, it's pavement only. With the phenomenal mileage the engine allows, ~70mpg, that should get you ~250 miles between fills with some reserve.
Honda is listing it as an adventure bike, but like you say it may be more commuting directed.. "Should get" and real world mpg will remain to be seen I suppose.. Load it up with luggage and my 235lbs I would venture its not going to get the 64 they claim. I honestly had high expectations for the bike and had the tank been 5+ gallons I may have waited on my Versys. Its as if they feel an acceptable range is 175-200 miles for a tank of fuel. Why not make it 5 gallons and have a range in the 300's? I would gladly take a bigger tank over the glove box they added. I would love a bike I could ride all week to work and not have to fill up (need 300 mile range), but am not into a GSA for commuting.. Honda has claimed 64mpg, while my V is still basically new I have gotten over 60mpg on two tanks now.. Now that I am getting farkles and luggage to add weight I'm sure my mileage will drop.. Im not saying its a bad bike, just that if they are going to market it as an adventure bike why not put at leas a 5 gallon tank on it so while traveling you aren't always looking for a fuel station?

09 Lime Versys
13' DL650 Vstrom
06 (Gold) Goldwing IV
post #7 of 118 (permalink) Old 07-20-2012, 04:00 PM

Garage
My neighbour just took delivery on one last night. I like it a lot. But it does have a few features that will keep me away from it:

Single front disk
Non-inverted fork
Very low revs (redline about 6 grand)
and fuel filler under the pillion (where I keep gear while touring)

It does get great mileage, and for about the price of a Versys comes with ABS. But not enough to make me give up what, I still believe, is the best all around bike available. Close, but not enough.

Always trust your cape.
post #8 of 118 (permalink) Old 07-20-2012, 04:46 PM

I think the reason it doesn't have a bigger tank is simply because it doesn't need one. Honda has done their homework on the demographic that will be buying this bike. They know that most commuters pass 12.2 gas stations on their way to and from work.

I love Hondas for their design, fit/finish, and dependability. Both cars I own are Hondas. That being said, I don't have an interest in this one.

I would like to see the V come standard with ABS, but I already have mine, so it won't affect me if this changes now. :/

May the road always curve in front of you.
post #9 of 118 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snownut View Post
...AND the bloody thing is UNDER the seat! Imagine going to Alaska with your camping gear tied to the pillion seat...!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATYC View Post
My neighbour just took delivery on one last night. I like it a lot. But it does have a few features that will keep me away from it:

Single front disk
Non-inverted fork
Very low revs (redline about 6 grand)
and fuel filler under the pillion (where I keep gear while touring)

It does get great mileage, and for about the price of a Versys comes with ABS. But not enough to make me give up what, I still believe, is the best all around bike available. Close, but not enough.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #10 of 118 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
...AND the bloody thing is UNDER the seat! Imagine going to Alaska with your camping gear tied to the pillion seat...!

Hondas idea of an adventure bike must be totally different than mine.. An adventure bike is something I would take to Alaska..

09 Lime Versys
13' DL650 Vstrom
06 (Gold) Goldwing IV
post #11 of 118 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 04:57 PM

I was hooked on getting the NC and ended up with a versys. Im very happy with my choice....

It does appear that this new honda fits the same category as the versys....commuter bike....niether are intended to be offroad as far as i know but i wouldnt hesitate to hit gravel/grass/light trails/crappy roads on either with the right tires.

Looks awesome but ill keep the V
post #12 of 118 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 05:02 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
post #13 of 118 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATYC View Post

Single front disk
Non-inverted fork
Someone please school me on the forks! Why are inverted forks preferred?
post #14 of 118 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 07:52 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Kirk View Post
Slightly less unsprung weight with inverted forks. Unsprung weight is the weight of the wheel, tire and any suspension components that are not cushioned by the spring. Because weight is a factor influencing momentum more unsprung weight means the suspension cannot react quite as quickly. I have no idea what the effect of this is in the real world though or if it would even be noticeable to most of us.
post #15 of 118 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
Slightly less unsprung weight with inverted forks. Unsprung weight is the weight of the wheel, tire and any suspension components that are not cushioned by the spring. Because weight is a factor influencing momentum more unsprung weight means the suspension cannot react quite as quickly. I have no idea what the effect of this is in the real world though or if it would even be noticeable to most of us.
Thanks for the info. All of my previous bikes had non-inverted forks and I didn't notice anything drastic when I bought the V. I think I just ride and get used to whatever I am on and take it at that. I appreciate the feedback!
post #16 of 118 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zatx View Post
I think the reason it doesn't have a bigger tank is simply because it doesn't need one. Honda has done their homework on the demographic that will be buying this bike. They know that most commuters pass 12.2 gas stations on their way to and from work.
Actually for many of us commuting is the only time range on a normal bike really matters. For a lot of people it isn't convenient to fill up during a commute. OTOH for most day-time traveling in the USA there are enough stations to get by with most bikes. Though the ~220 miles until the fuel warning I get on the Versys sure is handy whether commuting or traveling. With a 3.7 gallon tank the Honda would need to be pretty fuel efficient to match the Versys range. If it is, great.
post #17 of 118 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Here are some pros and cons, at least for some applications.

Pros:
*More rigid.
*Less unsprung weight.
*Bling.

Cons:
*If you blow a seal it can be messy.
*More complicated to service than right-side-up forks.
*Can't add a fork brace. Not an issue in most cases. As it's not for most modern right side up forks.
*Reduced steering lock.
post #18 of 118 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 09:46 PM

Quote:
I think I just ride and get used to whatever I am on and take it at that.
I think more people need to do this....stop buying and selling. Get a bike, correct or ignore its flaws, but a million miles on it, develop an attachment....etc
post #19 of 118 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NesquikNinja View Post
I think more people need to do this....stop buying and selling. Get a bike, correct or ignore its flaws, but a million miles on it, develop an attachment....etc
What Ive seen happen many times are people get on the forums and start seeing all the bad things there is about their bike then they get nervous.. They end up buying a different bike, get on the forums and the cycle starts all over again.. Every bike has its pros and cons, the reason I bought a Versys was because it fit the niche I was after. I have my Wing for comfy traveling with the wife, and the KLR for going to the cabin or hitting a dirt road, I just didn't have a fun solo bike that I could travel comfortably long distance on or hit the canyons to have some fun. The KLR works but I feel like I'm in the way sometimes and I'm not fond of it on the freeway. When I made my list of pros and cons I had compared the 650 GS, the 650 Vstrom, and the Versys, I already have owned a Vstrom(1000), the BMW thing really isn't me (particularly maintenance cost), and the Versys seems like a great all around bike. To be honest it seems like there are fewer complaints about the Versys than the others as well.. Now if the 650 Tenere' was in the US who knows?

09 Lime Versys
13' DL650 Vstrom
06 (Gold) Goldwing IV

Last edited by Snownut; 07-21-2012 at 10:31 PM.
post #20 of 118 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 10:30 PM

Thanks for the video, weljo. Told me what I needed to know about this one. Yeah, the built in storage is cool, but the fuel tank was small and impractically located. From what I hear about the redline and low shifting, I'm pretty sure I'd toast one off the line with my V. Looks cool, but not in my garage!

'89 yz 80
'96 cr 80
'99 kx 125
'09 Versys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode