seat concepts seat problem - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 10:12 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
seat concepts seat problem

I just put my new seat together and rode the bike around for a half hour or better. I'm a big guy and I got the +1 foam. Am I the only one that feels like I'm sitting in a big salad bowl? It's like the bucket is way too deep. My butt doesn't even touch the seat. I'm sitting right on the beginning of my thighs with all my weight. It's encouraging me to slouch and I feel it in my back after just a half hour. Now I'm supposed to ride this bike out to Sturgis in a few weeks. I won't make it to the state line the way it is. I like the foam material and I like the size of the seat, but that damn deep bucket leaves a lot to be desired here. I'm thinking maybe undoing it and laying down some strips of Dr. Scholl's gel insoles or something like that to fill in the bucket area where a person's ghetto booty should be. What do you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 10:20 AM

Personally, I would cut down the offending areas. I use an electric knife, $14 at Walmart, and a rasp. Use the cutting tool to take off about 1/4" at a time. It sounds like you need the edges cut down. As you approach the rough form you want, use the rasp to round off the edges. Its easy work and once you get the idea of what you're doing, it becomes more like sculpting.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 10:53 AM Thread Starter

That might be worth taking for a little try. Thanks!

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 03:57 PM

I share the bike with my wife. She didn't like how tall the front was against the tank. I agreed. It was an improvement over stock in that it doesn't slide you forward into the tank so much, but I don't think it needed to be sloped back so much. I decided to level it off. I also got rid of about half of the bowl/saddle effect you are mentioning.

This is the profile angle I settled on after three sessions of cut/test. You can't see from this angle, but I rounded the edges more than the kit originally came.

With the electric knife, rasp, and air stapler, its so easy. The tool I used most was the rasp. Like I mentioned before, once you get going and get a feel for what you want, you are really sculpting.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PICT1718.jpg (39.0 KB, 203 views)
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 09:03 PM Thread Starter

That looks about perfect for me! How much did you take off? Looks like about 1/2 inch.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 11:34 PM

1/2 sounds about right, maybe even 5/8 where it comes to the tank. You can see how I pretty much leveled it off front to back. Then I used to rasp to smooth out my cuts and round off any edge I felt against my legs.

I taped the tank so I could cut and grind with the seat on the bike and not worry about scratching the paint.

Have your shop vac next to the bike to suck up all the "saw dust".
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-19-2012, 05:41 AM

Talking

Hello Ferel Donkey. After 9,000 miles on my 351 KLX, I traded it for a 2011 Versys. I have done almost nothing to it but tires and oil changes. 10,000 miles on the new V so far.

Good to see you. Been thinking about the seat concepts thing. Having too good of luck with the stock one.

David R
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-19-2012, 08:00 AM Thread Starter

Hi Dave! The stock seat wasn't really all that bad compared to a lot of stock seats, it just gave me a frontal wedgie like I was getting ready to do the Buffalo Bill dance in Silence of the Lambs. That and it was tearing apart all my boxer briefs.

I got the Black & Decker Pecker Wrecker (electric knife) from Wal Mart this morning for $12.95. When I get time this weekend I'll give her a shave and see what I can come up with.

You know, I put the balls of my feet on the pegs and lift my heels, the seat is almost fine. Maybe I'll need to take the footpeg lowers off and see if that helps a little. If I had highway pegs, ape-hangers, and butt like J-Lo, this seat would be perfect.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 05:48 AM Thread Starter

I took the cover off and buzzed it down with the B&DPW and a rasp. I took about a half inch off the slant and smoothed off the bucket. It still has a slight bit of the bucket but the edges of the bucket have been taken down flat with the rest of the seat so my butt actually touches. I'll take it for a 200 mile jaunt today and see how it fits. It might just break in a little bit and be fine. Handle bar risers might be the ticket too. Or maybe ape-hangers, white-wall tires, conchos, and drag pipes... Just kidding. Gave myself the piss-shivers there for a second.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

I rode with my friend who's doing this Harley thing where you go to these different bars on a map and hand them tickets and when you buy a drink they give you a scratch ticket or something. We put on 300 miles today and stopped at about a dozen bars. My butt is sore but I also have been riding all day. I think the mod I did was a success. I really wasn't sore until the last 50 miles or so. I think I'll leave it alone. It's a lot better than the stock seat now and many times better than what Seat Concepts first sent me. I think that +1 foam is a mistake. I wish it was just a little softer.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 10:23 PM

Hey, I'm glad you started this thread, as I was starting to feel the same way about the Seat concepts seat. Much better than stock, but that deep pocket is starting to really bother me.
I think I'll have to shave her down....
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-22-2012, 08:08 AM Thread Starter

Do it just like Retro's picture. It works great. You can get a Black And Decker electric knife from Wal Mart for $12.95. They really over-reacted to the problems of the OEM seat with that profile of the foam. I think making it flat, level, and with nice, radiused edges would be the best. A little dip in the far back is nice to take the pressure off the tail bone. If a seat puts slight pressure on my tailbone, after 10 hours in the saddle, I'm about crippled for the day. The stock seat on my old Honda 919 was that way. I was at the dealership yesterday and they have a new version of that bike called CB1000 and the seat has an actual cut-out where the rider's tailbone is.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-22-2012, 10:11 AM

x

Last edited by AzItLies; 10-23-2012 at 01:53 PM.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-22-2012, 12:23 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Well i've spent more money on seats than most guys have spent on all thier upgrades combined. This by far has been the most comfortable and least expensive of all of them.. http://www.flickr.com/photos/5418178...7630244363554/

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-22-2012, 02:58 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzItLies View Post
Hopefully u guys won't mind my chiming in with some thoughts on this re Spencers Mods.

this guy has been doing seat modifications for years and years and years. He does a great job. I'm very happy with the result he did on mine.

1 thing I can say for sure. Anyone creating a "bucket" where your butt goes is very wrong. That's so "old school" it's hard to even begin to talk about it. That's about the most uncomfortable thing imaginable. Your back is going to kill you in no time with that.

My apologies first off, I know some will be offended. But lets be honest! If yer having to go and buy a sculpting knife to fix this "bucket"... something isn't right.
X 2 on the "Spencer Mod".

Funny enough - bought MINE from a fellow in Tucson....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Well i've spent more money on seats than most guys have spent on all thier upgrades combined. This by far has been the most comfortable and least expensive of all of them.. http://www.flickr.com/photos/5418178...7630244363554/
Dont just leave us in suspense....how did you do it???
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 05:47 AM

x

Last edited by AzItLies; 10-23-2012 at 01:52 PM.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 01:09 PM Thread Starter

I went to that Spencer mod website and it had nothing but a pretty cool short video. What's the Spenser mod?
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feral Donkey View Post
I went to that Spencer mod website and it had nothing but a pretty cool short video. What's the Spenser mod?
He keeps the shape of the stock seat but improves the foam. I have that now and like it. I can last a couple hours vs 30 minutes on the stock seat.

I have a SC seat on the way and will be selling my Spencer seat if the SC seat works for me.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 03:23 PM

I'm definitely going to be trimming the "offending" area, for sure. One thing I did today, was spend time playing with the handlebars.
I found that I had them too far forward, and that was fooling with my back/comfort level. I've pulled them backwards a bit, and that seems to have changed my position in the seat a bit.
I wouldn't really call that spot in the back a "bucket", more of a small divot. It's an extremely comfortable foam......just has a tad bit too much of a rise to the tank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode