• 1 Post By troop
  • 3 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 1 Post By BLACK DOG
  • 1 Post By Doug Just Doug

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-10-2017, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Installing Grip Puppies/Installing LED Brake light

Hi. I have a new Versys 650 LT. Going to install Grip Puppies but I've never had to remove hand guards on my previous bikes. Is there any secret to removing the hex head bolt at the end of the handlebar? I can't seem to budge it and I don't want to strip out the head.

Also, I am looking at installing a Hyperlite LED Brake/Running light by the license plate like on my previous bikes. Any secrets on how to run wiring from the license plate to under the seat where the wiring connections are?

Thanks, Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-10-2017, 07:22 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bneedles View Post
Hi. I have a new Versys 650 LT. Going to install Grip Puppies but I've never had to remove hand guards on my previous bikes. Is there any secret to removing the hex head bolt at the end of the handlebar? I can't seem to budge it and I don't want to strip out the head.
They are not easy to remove (thread lock, etc.). It took quite a bit of force to remove mine. I was however very careful not to let my hex wrench slip.

Quote:
Also, I am looking at installing a Hyperlite LED Brake/Running light by the license plate like on my previous bikes. Any secrets on how to run wiring from the license plate to under the seat where the wiring connections are?

Thanks, Bill
It's not a secret but here's how I ran wires from under the seat to the license plate. The rear fender has a hollow section which makes this quite easy to do. The key is knowing where to drill your holes.

Under the seat behind the seat latch, you can drill a hole between the two hex bolts shown in this pic.

On the left side of the little square block that is located under the rear license plate bracket of the rear fender, you can drill a hole as shown below. A pencil has been pushed through the drilled hole.

Pass a wire through the top hole.

... and pull it out from the bottom end of the fender.

You can now fish your electrical wires through the same route and then make the required connections at both ends.

Good luck!

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-10-2017, 11:46 PM Thread Starter

Thank you very much. Exactly what I needed...Bill
quexpress and Boston like this.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 06:56 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
TIP:
When installing the foam grip puppies... use a few drops of liquid dish soap and water.
Once you have an inch onto the grip, it will get harder and harder to push/pull it all the way... The foam needs to be slippery and when slippery you cannot grip the foam to pull it. USE A DRY clean rag now over the foam end that is on the grip and pull it all the way into position... The rag is the trick to getting it fully on - with rag it takes 30 sec per grip.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 08:28 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Purell or alcohol based hand sanitizer also works well. Alcohol based gel dries much faster than soap. FYI...
quexpress likes this.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 08:39 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I've run across several hex bolts on the Versys that were hard to remove. I simply take a length of pipe or conduit (2 or 3 feet) and slip it over the end of the allen wrench. I bear down on the end of the pipe slow and steady with my right hand, being sure to keep the wrench aligned with my left. It breaks the thread lock every time.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 08:47 AM

I had to break the thread locker to install Givi hand guards on my ABS model. I used an L-shaped Allen wrench (as opposed to a T-handle) clamped into a large Vice Grips, which allowed me to put my body weight into it while using one hand to make sure the wrench didn't slip out of the bolt.

2015 Versys 650 ABS
AMA, MSTA, Retreads

Nat'l Cycle "Sport-Touring" screen; Givi hand guards; BMW Sport Grips; Omni-Cruise throttle lock; Motowerk mirror extenders, side stand foot & highway pegs; Denali Mini Soundbomb horn; SW-Motech top rack, Quick-Lock Evo side racks, wide foot pegs & GPS shelf; Givi E-22 side cases & V-47 top case; RKA 13L Shiloh Road tank bag; Hyper-Lites; Sargent seat; Shoodaben ECU reflash; decalectomy.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 12:16 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bale2011 View Post
I've run across several hex bolts on the Versys that were hard to remove. I simply take a length of pipe or conduit (2 or 3 feet) and slip it over the end of the allen wrench. I bear down on the end of the pipe slow and steady with my right hand, being sure to keep the wrench aligned with my left. It breaks the thread lock every time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Just Doug View Post
I had to break the thread locker to install Givi hand guards on my ABS model. I used an L-shaped Allen wrench (as opposed to a T-handle) clamped into a large Vice Grips, which allowed me to put my body weight into it while using one hand to make sure the wrench didn't slip out of the bolt.
FWIW - I bought a set of socket "allen-wrenches" in both 3/8" and 1/4" drive (from Princess Auto/ Harbor-Freight Tools), so I VERY seldom ever use an "L" shaped wrench. FAIRLY inexpensive, and work FINE!

-

BTW - the 3/8" set include a 1/2" drive 14mm for the front axle removal.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 01:10 PM

Also if you get the socket type hex keys you can use them with a hammer type impact driver and avoid eccentric loads on the bolt.

Or am I the eccentric load?
Doug Just Doug likes this.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK DOG View Post
Also if you get the socket type hex keys you can use them with a hammer type impact driver and avoid eccentric loads on the bolt.
Guilty! That's what I did!

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 03:20 PM

I have installed grab on grips and grip puppyies of several bikes. I found the easiest method is using compressed air.

If the end of the grip has a lip I tightly warp some electrical tape around the end to compress and make it smaller. Then slide the grip puppy over the end of the existing grip. Put your air nozzle under the end of the puppy inflate and work the grip on. If you cannot get air under the grip from one end then try the other.

It takes a bit of technique but once you get it going you will be amazed how smoothly the grip goes on. Nice thing is this method is much less messy than the wet methods.

Good luck.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

What is the metric hex size for the handlebar end? I want to buy the correct set....Thanks
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-13-2017, 11:19 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
What is the metric hex size for the handlebar end? I want to buy the correct set....Thanks
On my '15 it's 6mm.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-14-2017, 07:40 PM Thread Starter

thanks
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-15-2017, 07:17 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I use Grip Buddies instead: nothing to remove. Simply wrap them around the grip and the velcro keep them where you put them. I have very large hands and they greatly reduce hand/wrist cramping caused by small diameter grips.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-22-2018, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quexpress View Post
They are not easy to remove (thread lock, etc.). It took quite a bit of force to remove mine. I was however very careful not to let my hex wrench slip.

It's not a secret but here's how I ran wires from under the seat to the license plate. The rear fender has a hollow section which makes this quite easy to do. The key is knowing where to drill your holes.

Under the seat behind the seat latch, you can drill a hole between the two hex bolts shown in this pic.

On the left side of the little square block that is located under the rear license plate bracket of the rear fender, you can drill a hole as shown below. A pencil has been pushed through the drilled hole.

Pass a wire through the top hole.

... and pull it out from the bottom end of the fender.

You can now fish your electrical wires through the same route and then make the required connections at both ends.

Good luck!
Thanks! I just installed a set of Hyper-Lites using your method for running the wires. Nice clean install.
quexpress likes this.

2015 Versys 650 ABS
AMA, MSTA, Retreads

Nat'l Cycle "Sport-Touring" screen; Givi hand guards; BMW Sport Grips; Omni-Cruise throttle lock; Motowerk mirror extenders, side stand foot & highway pegs; Denali Mini Soundbomb horn; SW-Motech top rack, Quick-Lock Evo side racks, wide foot pegs & GPS shelf; Givi E-22 side cases & V-47 top case; RKA 13L Shiloh Road tank bag; Hyper-Lites; Sargent seat; Shoodaben ECU reflash; decalectomy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode